This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

quick d 17 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graveyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick d 17 question
    Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 6:33pm
I know that a ring and pinion gear out of a series I D17 will fit a wd 45. Does this include the series II rear end. I have a rear end with the serial number 40069 which is toward the end of series II will it work? want to gear down the wd 45 for dead weight pulling
Sponsored Links

Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:12pm
It should

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:19pm
According to AGCO Parts Books.com.....all D-17 ring and pinions are the same from first to last series(70245766 p/n). I do know there are two different input shafts and countershafts and second and third gear width combinations over the years and the countershaft was made longer, but somehow, they managed to keep the ring and pinions the same. Now, on a dead-weight pull (which I've never done) I cannot imagine ever needing a gear slower than 1st gear. Any good running WD-45 can't be stalled in 1st gear unless it weighs 5500 pounds or more with standard tires on the rear. Where am I wrong here ?????
graveyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graveyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 9:05pm
Thanks for all the info!!!! DrAllis on dead weight pulls we like to get low tire speed. That is where the poppin johns have an advantage over us. The barn rescued 226 block I cant choke out!!! But the 45 is just a little fast sometimes in first gear and will spin out before getting traction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic