This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Push Mower ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push Mower ??
    Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
Would any of you run a 22" push mower that DID NOT have the ability to be "throttled" with a lever on the handlebar ? I've been offered a used (very little) Toro that is either running WO or shut off Ouch . I can't imagine not being able to slow the engine down, but perhaps this is the new "norm". Thanks
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:42pm
It's the new normal, GET USED TO IT. All those features that we've had all these years cost more money. Most today will buy a new mower every year and the cheaper unit gets brought. Or they just hire Pedro to come very week.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
Thanks for the reply Paul, I just can't STAND todays "THROW AWAY" society , breaks my heart and my grand daughter's (10 years old) generation will never have a clue Cry 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:45pm
Set throttle , brake on blade , double handle , auto kill , seems the idea of common sense has gone along with the Do Do bird . Some Lawyer has made another fortune and wrought havoc on a society that needs protection from itself 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm
Freedguy, I feel your pain. Try buying a new LawnBoy with a 2stroke engine. You can’t find one. Pisses me off.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:38pm
I have an older Lawn Boy, runs wide open or off. Seems to work fine although smokes a little more now than years ago. Is toro a 2 stroke? Would be a plus to me as they make more power for the weight.

Edited by allisbred - 06 Oct 2021 at 8:40pm
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:42am
My snapper and Troy built are both that way. No choke no primer no throttle just grab the safety stop bar and pull the cord. The Troy built just turn the key and the starter starts it. There's also no oil drain plug or fuel shutoff. They both run great start on the first pull and seam to have lots of torque. They also run slower and quieter that the old mowers did.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:44am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

I have an older Lawn Boy, runs wide open or off. Seems to work fine although smokes a little more now than years ago. Is toro a 2 stroke? Would be a plus to me as they make more power for the weight.
When I had a Lawn Boy, it had throttle settings for idle and wide open, but I could never tell the difference!  Man what a great mower that was though.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:58am
sadly there's ZERO money( profit) in building ANYTHING that has 'old skool features' ,let alone that can be repaired today.
Last JD rider I worked on, the hydro unit (Tufftork) didn't have a drain plug,minus 2 magnets and used SAE30 oil even though MFR said to use synth...so it had next to zero oil in it, almost fried the hydro which JD said would cost owner $800+ LABOUR to fix.... I bought it for the engine...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Freedguy, I feel your pain. Try buying a new LawnBoy with a 2stroke engine. You can’t find one. Pisses me off.

I ran a 2 stroke Lawn Boy back in the mid '80's, then as of 6 years ago I ran a Lawn Boy with a 4 stroke Tecumseh, The "original" was better/lighter unit IMO Embarrassed !!

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:27pm
It won't be very long before the battery powered mowers replace them. In fact I bought one for my daughter. Doubtful it will last as long as a gas mower but for her it's perfect. Hit the on button and go.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:57pm
Some 40 years ago I had a small place with a very small yard.  Mowed with a corded Black and Decker electric mower.  Loved it.  Perfect solution for a small yard.

Today I use all gas powered equipment on a bigger place.  My garden tractor is 53 years old.  It has a drain plug, fuel shut off... the works.  With maintenance it will continue to run a very long time.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:55am
Where I used to live, had a very large yard and couldn't afford a garden tractor of any sort.  It was almost all hill except for a flat a little wider than the house, and another flat a little wider than the driveway where it turned parallel to the road before going back UP to the road.  Anyway, took about 3 hours of walking, well over 90% of it on hill.  That's the entire reason we got a lawn boy 2 cycle, pretty sure would have had troubles with oiling with a 4.  Don't really miss walking that hillside!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:56am
Well, I guess I am the odd one here. never was a fan of two strokes, too noisy and too finicky, always tinkering to get them, keep them running. JMHO based on my humble experience, results may vary. And before anyone says it is just because I don't know how to maintain and run a two stroke....save your breath, I have already been informed of that! I don't enjoy fiddling and 'maintaining', I enjoy setting drinking a cold one admiring my neatly mowed lawn. whatever gets me there the quickest gets my vote.
And I struggle to understand what is wrong with a mower that I pull the cord, it runs, we mow the grass, and I let go of the safety bar to stop it. 
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 10:36am
Huh, interesting.  My Lawn Boy was quieter than the 3 pushers I've had since then.  Also, don't think I as much as changed a plug for the the first 6 years.  It lasted longer with less "tinkering" than the 3 since put together.

Guess that's why we all have opinions and your results may vary.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm
well, 2 strokes in general ( chain saws and weed eaters) make a lot of noise... but i agree, the old 2 stroke Lawn Boys seem to be a different breed.... Dont know why..

And i have not pushed a mower for some time... Have a 20 year old Husqvarna for the  front yard and my trust  72 year old ALLIS B for the barn lot, road sides and back acres !!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic