This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO stump grinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO stump grinder
    Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
Anybody run one? There is a guy here in the park with one on a 4020. This thing is just working the heck out of the 4020. Black smoke is pouring out of it. I'm thinking he is probably running convience store diesel which doesn't burn too clean. Might be the operator taking too big of a bite on the stump? I was thinking about buying 1. But dont want to treat my tractor like this guy is. The pickup says he is fron a tree service.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:22pm
There are several types.  the bigger the wheel is, the more of a power hog it will be.  I use a little one on my ASV rc-30, it runs offa the auv hyd, and actually works pretty good, up to about a 2' stump, but a modern 80 HP self propelled, remote controlled stump grinder will go loads faster, particularly on big stumps.  A tractor attachment, IMHO is a waste of money... Thumbs Down
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 8:02pm
guy here came with a 'Dingo' with one attached, so maybe 20-25HP ? It chewed into the maple stumps like butter...so I'm thinking the 4020 guy wasn't running his properly.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 9:17am
I'm not impressed with any pto model, ---- I have a Vermeer sc 252 and that will go anywhere plus you have precise control over the cutting.  Stump grinders are not toys so be careful with whatever you get/run.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 10:26pm
Thinking the guy in the first post probably had dull teeth on his grinder. Just to cheap to put new ones on.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 11:56pm
in think that dude with the 4020 was trying to show off some, I've seen them in all sizes and styles. I've always wanted one that screws down into the stump and breaks them all up, they make them for small tractors too, there are a lot of web sites on the different ones.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 7:31am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

I'm not impressed with any pto model, ---- I have a Vermeer sc 252 and that will go anywhere plus you have precise control over the cutting.  Stump grinders are not toys so be careful with whatever you get/run.

I’ve given a lot of thought to getting one like yours. A guy could make a good living with one around here. I’m just curious what all the rocks do to one?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:59am
The rocks are all over, --I look for them before going in, but still hit a few. Main thing is to take light quick cuts and most of the rocks will flip out and roll away so you can see them, or grinder tosses them out if it grabs them just right. I can hear it when it just starts to hit one, sound changes, so you can back out of the cut and remove the rock.  Steel posts are nasty.-- clipped a couple of them and stopped the wheel. ( the 252 has  an over-ride clutch for protection when hittin some too hard) -- I just backed out and re-started wheel and came from the other side til I could get enough stump away from the post to remove it. --You find all kinds of junk inside stumps!
The teeth are carbide and do last for a long time. They can be turned around 1 time, as they are double sided. I lightly touch mine up with a green wheel on the grinder and get even more time from them.
Rocks , if hit hard will shorten the life of the teeth on any kind of machine. Operator care is the key to success on stump grinders of any make/style. I have found that light cuts make fast work of the job. Heavy cuts don't do satisfactory job.
This is all stuff I learned with my unit after I started with it. You learn by doing, get the feel of the machine, then your on your way.
Over the years I have ran several different grinders and the Vermeer sc 252 is a well made machine that can handle any size stump. I took out 5 in one yard that were 5' across.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 12:49pm
I had a guy grind a bunch of stomps for me a couple of weeks ago. Don't know what make or model. It was a trailer type, that he moved around with his pickup, it had a gas engine with hydraulics that moved side to side and back and forth. It had a guard with window that he stood behind.
He hit several small rocks, and a light chain that must have been wrapped around a stump, and was under ground out os site.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I had a guy grind a bunch of stomps for me a couple of weeks ago. Don't know what make or model. It was a trailer type, that he moved around with his pickup, it had a gas engine with hydraulics that moved side to side and back and forth. It had a guard with window that he stood behind.
He hit several small rocks, and a light chain that must have been wrapped around a stump, and was under ground out os site.

Dusty

Dusty, you have touched on the achilles heel of the business.  Few stump grinders like hitting rocks, even fewer like hitting steel. At $11.00/tooth, for mine, plus an hour of down time, to replace a whole set, its not fun!

Also, with the larger machines, insurance is a major cost, largely due to homeowners having to watch, and worse yet, having kids running around, just trying to get chopped up!  Personally when I am grinding, I have a no observers policy.  the injuries these big machines can do to the human body make chainsaws look like a walk in the park!

Here's a video of the one I use on my ASV RC-30:

[TUBE]m4pAhB0T5eE[/TUBE]

Like I said it does an OK job on 2 foot or under, but the big 80-100 HP ($80K) ones can run circles around mine.  But I got mine used fer $3500, and generally don't bid the big stuff!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic