This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper use?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm
Thank you all who chimed in about my PTO adapter/extension.  I want to be safe and I'm new to implements that turn from the PTO.  This is the setup I'm using the PTO extension on.  Does this setup look correct?  The U-joints do not bind and it spins fine.  I know the protective cover over the driveshaft is damaged and needs to be replaced.  But, other than that, does it look okay?  Thank you.  Steve

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Sponsored Links

DaveWisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveWisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:24pm
Looks ok to me others will tell you too I am sure
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:35pm
Get out there and mow! Well, maybe not much this time of year Wink

Wait...hold on....unless they're there and I can't see them, I strongly recommend getting a set of stabilizer bars for the 2 lower 3pt arms. Without them, every time you make a turn your mower will swing to one side of another. It's one of my big personal annoyances hearing a mower or other implement bang around whenever I turn. 
It can be hard on the 3pt system, and can cause damage, depending on the implement being used. Some implements, like a plow, work better without the bars, though. 

One of the big reasons I love my 8N for 3pt work...it's a perfect factory system whose performance is hard to match with aftermarket kits.

This is a random internet search example of what stabilizer bars look like on an N. They are the long, flat stock pieces on the outsides of the 3pt arms. 

There are different designs, some use telescoping arms with pins (I like those better than the Ford design, actually), and some tractors (like the small Jap jobs) use turnbuckles (I think those are a sloppy mess). A quick Google search on 3pt hitch stabilizer bars should fill you in on anything you wish to know. 

Edited by CrestonM - 29 Jan 2018 at 5:39pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:39pm
looks fine but....
1) is the right tire bigger than the left one ? Or just an optical delusion on my part ??

2) I remove any 'slack' in the 3pt pins with washers. I like to reduce any slop wherever I can.Maybe I'm paranoid about it but I think less slop means less busted stuff.

3) I don't see any anti-sway chains. I KNOW I have to figure them out with the tiller on the D-14, thinking a hog on a B might sway bad too though I've never used one.

4) there are a LOT of 'B' guys so I'm sure they'll pipe up soon !

5) I ain't got no grass..well maybe under the 6" of 'white' Shameless is 'dontating' to me tonight...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 5:43pm
Be sure that driveshaft isn’t gonna tag that trailer ball when you go over a rise
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:45pm
If there's much angle in the drive shaft, check the yokes periodically for heat. Can't tell from the picture about the angle. Just something to keep in mind
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 7:47pm
Thank you all. 
Joe, The ball is gone now. 
Jay, good eye--they are different.  Good idea with the washers.  I will get those.  I'll look into the chains too. 
Creston, thanks for the tip on the stabilizer bars. 

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
corbinstein View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corbinstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 6:45am
So that's what those are.. Stabilizer arms. I've got a set and didn't know what they do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic