This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Coolant in a Cat 3116

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Coolant in a Cat 3116
    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 5:39pm
Doing service on my '97 GMC 7500 with a Cat 3116. A sticker on the radiator says only Cat antifreeze should be used in this engine. What is special about Cat antifreeze?? There is green colored coolant in it now and has ran good with no problems.

Does it have extra additives to prevent cavitation? Will normal traditional green antifreeze work?  

This is the first flush of the coolant system since we purchased the truck. I want to make the motor last. Thanks!
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 6:21pm
The CAT spec is ELC ( extended life coolant) or EC1 for heavy duty diesel truck applications.... Spec is similar to that used by FORD and GMC in "heavy " trucks.

Look for ELC - Heavy Duty Extended Life ... on the jug.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 6:31pm
 What is special about Cat antifreeze?? There is green colored coolant in it now and has ran good with no problems.

CAT does not make antifreeze.. Either does FORD or GM... They each have a SPEC and most of them are 99% the same.. "SOMEBODY" is making the stuff for each of them.  The "old green" will work for a period of time, but is not the best, and can loose its addatives faster than the EXTENDED LIFE types.  The BEST thing you can do for your antifreeze is change more often than suggested.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:28pm
Do not mix it. If you want to run the CAT ELC you need to flush the cooling system with lots of water. If it has green in it I would say someone in the past switched over to green. I would add SCA to the green and keep running it.

Edited by Red Bank - 19 Nov 2020 at 10:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic