This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Probably OT, but looking for info on A-W

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Probably OT, but looking for info on A-W
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:30pm
Does anybody know if there's a forum or discussion board on Austin-Western motor graders? My dad operated one 50 years ago, it was the first one I rode in, and I'd like to find one, cheap, if possible, to restore. I'd like it to be the small 4-wheeled model that crab-steered.
Be sure you are right, then go ahead.--Davy Crockett
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:57pm
Seems they ran detroits in them , see a few around but not many any more .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Okiejohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 9:56pm
You're right, the later ones mostly ran Detroits, early ones had an INternational UD-16 engine, same engine as was in the W-9 farm tractor, started on gasoline, then switched same engine over to run on diesel. Carb on one side, fuel pump and injectors on the other side. A few of the later ones had a small Cummins in them. I'd really like to find one with the International in it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:08pm
Hmm have a Adams 411 full size grader setting out back , UD 14 engine , 12 ft moleboard , new cutting edges, all mechanical lift, tilt, circle, steering and wheel lean. 6 wheel unit. Full cab (no glass) and doors . figure are around 38 to 40  vintage but unsure of when it was made as not to much on Adams has survived for information.
 Last ran 15 years or so (ran when parked) to put in drive about 5 miles from my place drove there and back and worked 3 days on site.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Okiejohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:25pm
Wish you were closer to me. I'd ask if you were interested in selling it. Sounds like the machine my grandfather ran for the county down here, before my dad started. Granddad retired about the time I turned 5, so I barely remember his machine. Dad retired when I was 24, in 1982. He started out on an old Rome, then they let him have the A-W brand new. told him there'd be a man come out to teach him how to run it, Dad used to say he was still waiting when he retired. During his time operating, he ran machines from Cat, JD, and even one Allis M-100,. After he got his second JD, I got okd enough to work for the county, and they put me on his old Allis. It was an excellent machine, and I'd like to find one of those, too.
M Diesel View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Okiejohn Okiejohn wrote:

You're right, the later ones mostly ran Detroits, early ones had an INternational UD-16 engine, same engine as was in the W-9 farm tractor, started on gasoline, then switched same engine over to run on diesel. Carb on one side, fuel pump and injectors on the other side. A few of the later ones had a small Cummins in them. I'd really like to find one with the International in it.

Pretty close. The 9 is 4 cylinder while the UD-16 has six. Same size pistons, rates at 100HP, stronger than the UD-14 4 cylinder. I haven't run one of the graders yet but would like to. Having several gas starts it just kinda seems like the right thing to do. With twin stacks they do have a sound of their own.
Okiejohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:55pm
Most assuredly. Sound REAL good to me, too, especially under load when the governor kicks in.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 11:04pm
With the gear drive levers for all the controls , which run off kind of power take off, it is a 3 hand operation. Then have one set of gears that chatter when engaged and wow does that shake the teeth when using it.
 Surprising how much dirt one can move with these machines in rolling in a drive and how quick one can smooth out a long stretch of ground.
 The 411 I have spend 10 years grading a 1/4 mile dirt trak (Stillwater Speed Bowl) here in MN until retired for another newer Adams 512 I believe. Almost bought that machine also but who needs 2 of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic