This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

printers; need a new one!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: printers; need a new one!
    Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:46am
I get tired of the ink drying out!   it has been recommended for me to look at lazer printers.   does anyone have any advice!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sponsored Links

Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 12:49pm
I have a laser printer and highly recommend it.    No more dried out ink cartridges or clogged nozzles.   I can always count on it to work.  

tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 4:24pm
i'm hearing this same advice, lots of places, i think i'm headed in that direction!

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:41pm
For a long time now I have bought a couple of the larger office type hp laserjet printers.  You can get a cartridge for $35 and it lasts for months for home use.  They normally have a jet direct card in them which makes them networkable.   And they are built like a tank.  Not your normal household printer, but I sure save a lot on cartridges.  I find them on CL.  The current one I have is a HP Laserjet 2430dtn.  Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about.  If you don't need color, this is the cheapest way to go.  I think I gave $35 for this one.

You need to get HP compatible cartridges online to get the best price, and you need to make sure you get the correct one.

Edited by john(MI) - 29 May 2020 at 6:43pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:42pm
I had the same problem as I don't print very often.  I traded my ink jet printer to a buddy three years ago for his laser printer and have no more dried out ink problem. Always prints when I need it!

Edited by Alberta Phil - 29 May 2020 at 6:44pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:47pm
I have a Brother MFCl2720dw 'printer/copier/scanner/fax' machine, maybe 4 years old. It's just a BLACK print , NOT colour ...no need for colour as 99.44% of my needs are printouts of code I write...invoces, etc.
It's been very reliable.Hardwired into my router so 3 PCs can use it.
It replace a fine HP Laserjet MP5 ( in basement) that has 25pin connector and no PC today has that....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

I have a Brother MFCl2720dw 'printer/copier/scanner/fax' machine, maybe 4 years old. It's just a BLACK print , NOT colour ...no need for colour as 99.44% of my needs are printouts of code I write...invoces, etc.
It's been very reliable.Hardwired into my router so 3 PCs can use it.
It replace a fine HP Laserjet MP5 ( in basement) that has 25pin connector and no PC today has that....

I got this off of the HP site from July 2015, but it may still be available on Ebay or Amazon or a google search.  That is a good printer.  It's a shame to leave it sit unused.

You need what is called a MIO jet direct card.  There are many models and they go for little money on ebay.  You can do an ebay search or go to the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/J2550B-HP-Jetdirect-Print-Server/dp/B0009MCDLS

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:05pm
yeah the real shame is I have 5 BNIB longlife tonercart/drums sitting next to it....
If I really had nothing to do I'd toss it onto my W98SE PC ,set it up as the network printer.. or one of the 8 'dusty' laptops.....

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:13pm
I have a brother printer and it prints both sides of the paper and I buy my ink from supplies outlet for about a 1/3 of the cost at Walmart
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:26pm
I too recommend a laser printer and if you only need b&w they are not that much more than an ink jet. For me the biggest advantages were faster printing, faster  copying and lower print and copy costs. Although mine was b&w it would scan colour photos into my computer. I have had it for years and no problems but unfortunately when I upgraded my operating system on the computer the printer is no longer compatible (32bit vs 64bit). I have to connect to my wife's ink jet for printing and scanning.
Jack of all trades, master of none
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:06am
Last year I bought a Epson ET2760 tank type printer.  I didn't use my old Canon printer all that much and had problems with the nozzles plugging.  It also scans and copies, as do most printers.  I used to have the labels for the flour I sell printed at Office Depot but it's faster to do it at home and I get three labels per sheet of paper so it doesn't take all that long and I save time not going to town. After 50+ pages the ink tanks are still nearly full and I got two bottles of color which will last me for years, I'm thinking.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:56am

Well,,I like to tune in to Kim Komando's program on Saturdays cause that is one smart woman as far as electronics go,,,,,Clap AND,,,she sure sounds beautiful with that "throaty" voice,,,don't she,,??Wink
 She is always hawking those Epson Eco-Tec printers that have "tanks" of ink and her push is you can print like 17million sheets of paper,,,BUT,,,,,I'll wager the cost of buying NEW tanks,,,when the DO run out,,,,,, is gonna cost way more than the printer,,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:58am
re: inkjets
standard proceedue to get them to print after a 'dry spell'. lightly like a papertowel, drag across the printhead 'jets' ( the holes where ink comes out. do this 2-3-4 times, you'll see the ink appear. now print a page, should be good to go.....
yeah, i used to get paid to fix them, decades ago....

re: lasers. anything printed is waterproof(cept the paper), great for signs and stuff as letters won't 'run' like inkjets.....

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 2:17pm
I still have a dot-matrix printer sitting somewhere in a closet, worked perfect never missed a beat. Sure wish I could use it nowadays.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:42pm
I have a dot matrix in the basement.  It's for a Comodore 64.  Thing would make a good boat anchor.  I don't know what's in it but it weighs a ton!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:56pm
John that's all that gold they used in em back then.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:49pm
Ours is an Epson, iirc.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:17am
the delimia is over!   wallyland for a cheap printer.   bought extended warranty.   if it lasts that long, it will be pitched!
Ryanlark View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:34am
Hello Tom, I want to say that it depends for what purpose you are going to use it. Personally I have a boutique where I am printing different files for an extra charge. So I have many clients and also I bought many printers from https://www.mrdepot.ca. For big orders, like books or smth like that, I have big Konika Minolta printers that are perfect. If I have small orders I use HP Laserjets. I think that you need them for work and personal usage and I suggest you to look at HP laserjet models. Those are very fast and pretty economical.

Edited by Ryanlark - 05 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 11:46am
I bought a cheap one from wally world.  then bought 2 ink cartridges.  they cost about as much as the printer.  i bought the service contract with it, which might have been a waste of money!   This is for family use.    When we go to arizona this winter, if we buy a place, i'm going to buy a lazer b/w printer for my needs.

Edited by tomNE - 04 Oct 2020 at 11:48am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 11:54am
I tend to get about four to five years from a HP Inkjet before the head loses its mind and position sense.  Current one is a 8030 Double Sided color printer, does reasonably well for the money.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:22am

Hey JohnCo,,,I been listening to them commercials bout them Eco Tank printers but am thinkin when you DO have to get replacement tanks,,,,,,they gonna be that many times more expensive,,,,?
 I've had a HP All In One for a good many years and has been a dang good printer, scanner, copier and fax,,,but the dang ink cartridges are kinda expensive,,. I tried buying some cheeper different brand cartridges off the internet and none of them would work in the HP,,,cause it didn't like em,,,, I too am gonna look at a lazer in black only when this one finally gives up,,,,,Wink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 12:27pm
Cry Look out for those money grubbing big time companies.Wink I don't know why they would of turned out this way, but my cheap skate snarky kids (must take after  their mother LOL) reloaded ink into the old cartridge. Claimed to have done it to other cartridges for their machines, but not this one. The printer stopped maybe locked up, my upset and snarky wife got the company to warranty it. But those darn kids tried again when it needed ink and the same thing.

Things have changed and we don't print as much as we did, so now it dries up instead of running out. Confused Just no way for us poor folks to get ahead. LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I still have a dot-matrix printer sitting somewhere in a closet, worked perfect never missed a beat. Sure wish I could use it nowadays.

Dot Matrix, . . .is that Eno Matrix's wife?
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
I went to a laser printer and I no longer have to worry about cartridges or print heads drying out or clogging.  The print doesn't smear or run if it gets wet and a cartridge lasts a long time.  Mine is only B/W, but color ones are a lot cheaper now than they were when I bought mine, but there's very little I really need color for anymore.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm
I second and third the brother printers that just print black ink. A cartridge of toner lasts a long time. Dependable and easy to use. I have been using them for 15 years.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
I second and third the brother printers that just print black ink. A cartridge of toner lasts a long time. Dependable and easy to use. I have been using them for 15 years.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic