This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pressure in my cooling system on my 7000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stroud65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pressure in my cooling system on my 7000
    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:38pm
I pull a 7000 in 8500-9500lb farm class. Usually an 8 mph class. Finally got enough fuel going to it to make some power. Pulled in a no speed limit class so I shifted up a few gears. Was running great till I blew the head gasket. I put studs in it and a copper head gasket. Now I’m getting pressure in the cooling system. The studs are a little long and we had to add a washer. I wandering if the studs are my problem or not. Also was told to wire ring it to seal it better. I can’t find anyone in my area that knows anything about it. I’m wandering if I should take it somewhere and just have it fire ringed and be done? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:11am
You have to have a fire ring to seal up the compression. Like a stock head gasket has the steel ring around the big hole that crushes to seal. This is the same but separate from the gasket. With out the ring it’s useless. I have the rings on stock depending on your copper gasket thickness. You have to cut a grove in the sleeves which I recommend. Or have a grove in the head to except the ring.
bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 6:14am
You have to have a fire ring to seal up the compression. Like a stock head gasket has the steel ring around the big hole that crushes to seal. This is the same but separate from the gasket. With out the ring it’s useless. I have the rings on stock depending on your copper gasket thickness. You have to cut a grove in the sleeves which I recommend. Or have a grove in the head to except the ring.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:15am
I have fire rings and MLS head gaskets that require no machining, for many engines, including the 301 AC. The head could still be seeping cylinder pressure into the cooling system, of if it has the original style head, the copper tubes can be a source of leakage. I have seen lots of puller have trouble with the AC heads with copper tubes, but it amazes me that IH heads hold a lot higher levels than this. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 8:58am
We blocked the water block and head holes off and ran separate cooling to head - eliminated this issue  - think we tapped and threaded some and added freeze plugs to others... back in the 70's if one leaked any fluid on track one was DQ'd  - as a side note the reason for this was some guys would spray the relief off the fuel charge down on the track and some said lubed the sled making it easier to pull... you can't make this stuff up.. ha... 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Stroud65 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stroud65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:11am
Thanks for the info. I’ve got a 200 head on it so I could get away from the tubes. How much would rings run me? I really should probably take it to someone and just have it done. I just know enough to mess something up lol
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:21am

IF everything is correct - you gotta be pulling some serious hp to need anything over the OEM gasket ?  I am sure Doc can give you a hp limit... we ran staged turbo's for a short while with std head gasket...   If you have sleeve or head issues - a copper gasket and steel rings will not fix your issues...

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:06am
The setup I have made offers several different options. My drop on rings can be used with a stock head gasket, or my MLS gasket, then for all out applications, sleeve flange needs cut down .030" then use my thicker rings with either gasket. The important thing is you need a fire ring of some sort. A plain old flat gasket won't seal the combustion chamber. PM if have more questions on price.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic