This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power steering on a d-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power steering on a d-17
    Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 6:49am
... i have an early d-17.... is it supposed to have power steering??? every1 is telling me it should... it dosent now any help??? thanks
Sponsored Links

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 6:53am

Power steering was optional on the D17, up until the series IV i think, then it was standard. If you have a series I, then it may not have it

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 6:54am
The D19 was the first AC tractor to have power steering as standard equipment
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 6:54am
It could be either way. On an early diesel, the pump is piggy-backed on the generator. A gasoline would have a separate pump on the upper left side of the engine.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Chris (swIA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris (swIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 7:55am
Series 1 and 2 gas had the power steering pump mounted between the governor and the distributor.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:06am
Chris is correct,I have 1958 D17 gas and the front bolster is the PS resivour!How the heck do you spell resevoure???
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:09am
as stated the power steering was optional on early D17's as well as other tractors.  Loaders were few compared to today, and early loaders were crude, only for lifting.
Hydraulic buckets came later with better hydraulics.
Equipment was smaller and a well lubricated front spindles, etc, made a easy steering tractor: power steering was pretty new and few tractors as well as cars had them.
Our '53 WD, new '57 D14, and new '57 did not have P/S, the next D17 did however when a 4 row cultivator was used, but still no loader.

mike 44 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike 44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:03am
.... yea i didn't think it was supposed to. it would be nice if it did. its hard to turn when i have the loader on!!!
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:06am
Mike -
Welcome to my world!
I keep telling my neighbor if he leaves his S1 parked overnight in our field again he is going to find it mighty hard to steer on the way home.......
cheers,
Creek
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 1:50pm
I think Power steering became standard on the D17 in 1959.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:38pm
Oops, forgot about the early gas 17's having the pump between the governor and distributor.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic