This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Steering Allis Chalmers 720

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Steering Allis Chalmers 720
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:38pm
Curious if we have any forum members who may have done the power steering conversion.

From research I see that a few guys on other forums have successfully  used the GM 605 gear box with pump to match. Most have complained about space restraints.

Another option would be using a Orbitrol rotary steering control valve plumbed into the hydro unit thus eliminating the need for an external pump.

Lastly sail boats have a self contained power steering unit that could be easily adapted to a small tractor.

Would like to hear about your power steering conversions and how well they've worked out for you.

Edited by rustydollar - 13 Sep 2017 at 7:43pm
Sponsored Links

talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:32pm
I think Power Steering on these would be a fantastic addition.An orbital valve setup would be great, but I think the low pressure generated by the hydro on the powermax tractors is what has caused folks to go other directions.  The spec on these is only 2.5gpm and 500psi.  It's also why attempts at using the tractor to power a loader have failed quickly.  I'm not real sure how much juice is needed for that type of power steering.  
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
rustydollar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:53pm
Here's a simple solution. Electrohydraulic.

Originally intended for large tractors equipped with GPS steering but they also make these units small enough for garden tractors.

At Danfoss, we design our steering components and systems with your machine’s maneuverability in mind. Whether for the smallest garden tractor or the largest special purpose vehicle, our solutions offer reliable, safe and comfortable control.

We promise a precision performance where the operator’s safety and comfort are always up front. No matter what the application.

Our range covers two-wheel, four-wheel or articulated steering, GPS auto-steering, and joystick or other electrically controlled steering − giving the light, smooth machine management operators prefer.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet on how to size your power steering unit, with some pictures of how the geometry is set up.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&&dDocName=CT_177067

Edited by rustydollar - 14 Sep 2017 at 12:56pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:50pm
There was a article about someone using a small chevy steering box a while back
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

There was a article about someone using a small chevy steering box a while back

Yes there is and I read the article, the modification requires that you install a pump in front of the engine and have to relocate the battery.

The fellow who wrote that article used this model GM 605 gear box with pump to match.

Edit to add link to the article showing the GM 605 steering box installation.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/simplicity/104942-simplicity-power-max-9020-ac.html

Edited by rustydollar - 15 Sep 2017 at 4:56pm
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:46am
i think some have used steering gear out of a chevrolet vega
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 9:52am
inst that picture of a motor just designed to turn a steering wheel that all ready has power steering ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

inst that picture of a motor just designed to turn a steering wheel that all ready has power steering ?

Not sure which unit your referring too,

The first most top image is an oribirol steering unit that is usually plumbed into the hydrostatic pump.

Second image is the same type of steering unit but has its own 12 volt hydraulic pump built into the unit making it more compact. No need to install an additional pump as its already built in.

Below a couple of examples, I believe the bottom one came from a Massey swather someone had scrapped.

Edited by rustydollar - 15 Sep 2017 at 10:32am
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 12:39pm
What ever you do you've still got to remember that there is a hyd valve there also to contend with, what ever route you choose has it's limilations. Just my $.02
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 3:59pm
John Deere compact tractors are using orbital steering, five ports means that it has power beyond. Our AC and Simplicity branded tractors do not supply enough juice for this feature.

The JD unit uses o-rings with push in fittings that are prone to leaking.

Herb(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:03pm
Don't know if there is room for following?    A charlyn torque amplifier works great (5 years) on my D14; using an added hydraulic pump from an old Nissan pickup. Very happy operator. Charlyns were used on some fork lifts years ago. Herb(GA)
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:44pm
Mike Noonan installed the Vega box in his 720. If he see's this post he'll throw his experience in the mix...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
mnoonan-NEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnoonan-NEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

Mike Noonan installed the Vega box in his 720. If he see's this post he'll throw his experience in the mix...
Steve@B&B

Thanks Steve,
As Steve mentioned, I did install a new Vega power steering box in my 720 but was somewhat disappointed in it. After the fact, I did some research on the steering ratio. I found that a GM 605 steering box has about a 20-1 ratio and the Vega box has only about a 13-1 ratio. The 605 unit steers much better than the Vega box. To help with my problem, I installed a set of the 6.90x6-9 high pressure tires and rims. They improved the steering effort by quit a bit.
Adding any kind of power steering is kind of a major project. You will need to remove the dash tower, pto shaft, and the engine plus other parts.
I did write a lengthy article in Michaels Tractors with lots of information and pictures, however, Photobucket photo hosting site decided to no longer allow cross linking of my pictures so many have been removed. There still is a lot of info there though. The link to the article is; http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9409
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
AC CA, Ferguson TO-20, Ford NAA, M-M BG, AC #3 Mower, SC Plow, PH Digger, AC 720's with Ark 700 loader & Brantly Backhoe, "Mini B" w/flathead Ford V8
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustydollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by mnoonan-NEWI mnoonan-NEWI wrote:

Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

Steve@B&B

Thanks Steve,
As Steve mentioned, I did install a new Vega power steering box in my 720 but was somewhat disappointed in it. After the fact, I did some research on the steering ratio. I found that a GM 605 steering box has about a 20-1 ratio and the Vega box has only about a 13-1 ratio. The 605 unit steers much better than the Vega box. To help with my problem, I installed a set of the 6.90x6-9 high pressure tires and rims. They improved the steering effort by quit a bit.
Adding any kind of power steering is kind of a major project. You will need to remove the dash tower, pto shaft, and the engine plus other parts.
I did write a lengthy article in Michaels Tractors with lots of information and pictures, however, Photobucket photo hosting site decided to no longer allow cross linking of my pictures so many have been removed. There still is a lot of info there though. The link to the article is; http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9409
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Mike thank you for bring us up to date on the steering modification.

My 9020 has 4:00 x 12 ribbed tires on the front and the steering is easy even with the snowblower hanging off the front of the tractor.

The steering wheel turns 4.5 lock to lock, I'm able to steer using the open palm of one hand placed on top of the outer ring.

Kinda like driving with a knuckle buster with out the buster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic