This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

power shift question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power shift question
    Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:29am
Got my 8030 in the shop to narrow tires up for planting and oil started running or might I say gushing from the bell housing. We had it out during winter twice to run the generator and it spat a tinny bit. It is a 2wd, 1983. It appeared to be trans fluid and leaked worse when moving the tractor. Yesterday I split the tractor. It does seem relevant it is coming from the transmision. What I am wondering is there some sort or premature bearing failure inside the front housing of the trans causing it to leak, or is it most likly just the seal leaking? There is very minimal in and out play in the input shaft and no side to side play. Any input would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:02pm
Did you remove the seal cover? If not remove seal cover and see if adjusting nut has come off or stripped off. If not see if nut and front of housing will pull out or move. Would guess nut stripped or front of housing broke off. If so it will be a complete rebuild.    MACK
T.J. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:05pm
I'm thinking every tractor I saw getting that seal had something else wrong. Usually something wrong with the torque limiter throwing unit out of balance. I'm thinking the only ones that got a bearing had shaft play. Check the pilot bushing. I've seen that be an issue. I'm thinking the only later AC's that didn't have a pilot bushing or bearing had power directors instead of power shifts. Could have that wrong but there is too many bell housing contents of too many other brands going through my head to keep it all perfectly straight. I think every IH tractor made (706-3788 at least) gets the live pto input replaced in its entirety everytime they get split so it coulld be worse. Also check the engine main bearings for too much play (from the outside with a bar gently at the flywheel) aand the crank dampner. For what its worth, a dealer who sold alot of these tractors for an eastern dealer told me the input shafts to the power shift don't tolerate vibation from things getting out of alignment, the input bearing then fails, next is a bad power shift. Enjoy
tornado8070 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
I have not removed the seal or the input cover. I am confident that the oil is coming out of the trans input seal. The cover does not seem to be lose or cracked. I have experienced no trans problems. The only reason I split it was for the oil leak, however I am questioning the torque limiter condition. The tin cover over the torque liniter has dents and dings in it, and there appear to be fragments of it in the bell housing. Since I have only had the tractor a year it could have been that way from a previous limiter problem or a current problem. I guess it would be possible if the torque limiter is going bad that would cause enough vibration to cause the seal to input seal to leak. I guess tommorrow I will have to dig deeper!
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 3:30pm
At a minimum, (when replacing the input shaft seal) if the big nut hasn't loosened and hasn't sheared off the locking tab, take a center punch and make a stake mark on the inner circle of the nut where the slotted keyway is on the threaded nose of the clutch housing, so the nut cannot ever back off tension. Down the road when the trans needs to be worked on all you do it split the nut right there with a sharp chisel to disassemble. Also when sliding the new seal over the input shaft, wrap the shafts splines with good electrical tape like a barber pole (one layer) starting away from the end of the shaft and spiroling towards the shafts end with minimum overlap. Lube the tape with oil and slide your new seal over the tape and remove the tape when done. This protects the seal from damage from the splines. Sounds like new TL disc and pilot bushing in the flywheel are in order.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:16am
Yesterday I unbolted the TL and it basically fell apart as I took the bolts out. About 1/3 of it was totally dissrupted. I replaced the disc. As for the oil leak I replaced the seal and gasket on the input cover and hoping that takes care of everything. The nut inside the clutch housing seemed to be in order. None the the locking tabs were broke off and nut seemed tight. There was no evidence of tiny bearing specs inside or around the bearings. I think the input seal was still original since the o-ring on the end of the splines was dry rotted when I removed it, hence I am hoping that the unbalencement of the TL going bad caused the aging seal to leak. This is my first time splitting a tractor on my own. It took me about 4 hrs and over an hour was draining fuel. I am getting tired of paying $60 an hr for tractor mechanics at dealers. I know how to do it I may as well do it myself.
09’ DT205B, 08’ DT220A, 83' 8070 MFWD, 83’ 8070 85’ 8050 MFWD, 83' 8030, 82' 8010, 85’ 6080 MFWD, 84’ 6080, 79' 7020, 85' M3 RWD, 85' 920 diesel,AC C-50 forklift.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 11:57am
$60/hour is probably the low end for dealership rates. It's $75 at the local CaseIH dealer and that was a year or 2 ago.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 12:44pm
I am aware that that rate is problly the low end. I got $175 into this in parts. A dealership would charge $300 bucks at the least for pickup and delivery since we live 60 miles from nearest AGCO dealer, plus they told me 8hrs to split the tractor and it took me 4. So they would have had roughly 16-20 hrs labor into it plus the parts. Add that up and it would be a $2000 bill. Nothing against our dealer. We have a great relationship and they are super to do bussiness with, just looking out for my pocket.
Branger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Branger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 1:46pm
That big nut coming off is a catastrophy.  It created a $14K repair bill on my 8070 transmission, and that nut was really the only problem.  The rest of the components were only damaged by the nut backing off.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tornado8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:53pm
Well I just took it for a test drive and she seems good to go. No oil leaking. Guess I will see in the mourning if it dripped. Hoping my first split job is a success. Fingers crossed. Lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic