This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Posi-traction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 7:59pm
lock rite is another good one will keep you locked up when going straight and ratchet when turning, very easy to install
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:29pm
Brian, Thanks for the info, the Max Lock sounds like the way to go. The truck has less than 120K and a known good rear end and that package is less expensive that a used unknown quality rear end.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:09am
To go back to chebbie bashing for just a minuteBig smile

Dad's 2009 2500 Sierra 4wd.  Beast on pavement, don't even know 31ft trailer with slider is back there.   Can't pull an empty gravity box in a field.  Dang "chebbie's" fault!LOL
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:18am
been pulling loaded grain wagons 150-350 bu ones loaded for over 30 years out of the fields with the following GM vehicles...1980 Chevy Malibu station wagon, 1978 Buick hearse, (only hearse I know of with a trailer hitch), 1954 Chevy 1/2 2-wd pickup, 1986 Chevy 1/2 4x4, 1987 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban, 1997 GMC 1 ton 4x4 pickup, and a 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. I still have all of those vehicles except the station wagon and the 1954 pickup, and they still run and drive.   
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:21am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

been pulling loaded grain wagons 150-350 bu ones loaded for over 30 years out of the fields with the following GM vehicles...1980 Chevy Malibu station wagon, 1978 Buick hearse, (only hearse I know of with a trailer hitch), 1954 Chevy 1/2 2-wd pickup, 1986 Chevy 1/2 4x4, 1987 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban, 1997 GMC 1 ton 4x4 pickup, and a 1998 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. I still have all of those vehicles except the station wagon and the 1954 pickup, and they still run and drive.   
So?  Wink

Pretty sure dad's Sierra has Cadillac tires on it.....like you mentioned.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 7:23am
I can pull a loaded grain wagon out of the field with the '92 F150 that WE still have.  The same one where the GMC will spin out trying to turn the corner with it empty.

So?Wink  It means nothing....

Edited by Tbone95 - 29 Jan 2019 at 7:23am
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:35am
One bad winter years ago a friend of mine who was Plant Manager at a local manufacturing business was going to work with his Cadillac Eldorado. He came upon a 4x4 pickup high centered on a snow drift. Keith ran his powered window down and asked the guy if he wanted a pull? The guy responded with your Caddy? Keith said yes and popped the trunk open got out and pulled a tug em strap from the trunk. He said here is your end hook it somewhere good. Keith had a Reese hitch on his Caddy and hooked the strap on there and proceeded to yank the 4x4 out of the drift! He also delivered a half ton of Hummer parts to  Mishawaka Indiana where they built Hummers in that same Eldorado. It was a rush order and they could not get a truck so keith deliverd in the Caddy. He said he pulled up to the gate and asked the guard where to dropp the parts . the guard did not believe him until he popped the trunk and showed him it was full of parts !
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 11:37am
Shammers savin this for somethin special?

Maybe upgrade newer

Naw the old one is tried an tru. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:04pm
I think it was around mid 70's Chevy had a commercial that had a 4 wheel drive pickup pulling a 4 or 5 bottom plow. Don't know how truthful it was but it was always good for a laugh.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:11pm
Do you mean this one?

Also

[TUBE]tnNSFzxgZys[/TUBE]

Don't Forget

[TUBE]EByMcmA9lGo[/TUBE]
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
1 TON Dodge pulling a 2 bottom plow............ YEP... and a WD will do that ! LOL
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Do you mean this one?

Also

[TUBE]tnNSFzxgZys[/TUBE]

Don't Forget

[TUBE]EByMcmA9lGo[/TUBE]
               That's the one.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:18pm
I remember my dad telling after WW2 a friend of his bought a surplus Jeep and claimed it could do anything a tractor could do ! So dad invited him and his Jeep to come out and pull the 3 section drag for him. The Jeep pulled it 1 round of the field and then left as it got hot and was blowing blue smoke out the exhaust !
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 6:45pm
We used to pull a disk with an old Willis pick up. If the dust didn't kill ya bouncing off the roof would.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:34am
That second field looks pretty pathetic!

Neighbors just rake hay with their pickup. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:52am
when I was in HS, I bought an old 2 bottom rope trip plow on steel at an auction. I was tired of the other farm kids telling how tough their trucks were. so I invited them to prove it! hooked each one up one at a time and put one guy in the back end to pull the rope. all of them except one fell dead in their tracks as soon as the plow went in the ground. out of all the different makes of trucks out there, an old ratty Dodge pulled it the farthest. I think that old plow is still around here. was only used for that.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Neighbors just rake hay with their pickup. 

My brother had hay down that was ready to bale and the neighbor was ready to come bale it, but his only tractor was broke down.  He said there were several rubber neckers that nearly ran off the road, trying to watch him rake hay with the old Chevy 4x4.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:40am

when I was in HS, I bought an old 2 bottom rope trip plow on steel at an auction. I was tired of the other farm kids telling how tough their trucks were. so I invited them to prove it! hooked each one up one at a time and put one guy in the back end to pull the rope. all of them except one fell dead in their tracks as soon as the plow went in the ground. out of all the different makes of trucks out there, an old ratty Dodge pulled it the farthest. I think that old plow is still around here. was only used for that.
People like to pick apart the Nebraska tractor tests......because it's on pavement and isn't real world.  The trouble with that line of thinking, is that once you go into "real world", there are countless variables.  Somebody always has harder dirt, looser dirt, slipperier dirt, steeper hill, denser sod balls, greasy clay.......always something to be contended.

Obviously it's virtually impossible to control every variable, somebody thinks they're a genius if they identify one, as if someone didn't already think of and account for it.  That's the whole point of the NTTL tests, to control as much as possible and document the rest.  Make your decisions from there.  It isn't going to change your mind on what tractor to buy.....it provides information as to what you can expect pulling a certain load at what speeds and how much fuel you'll be burning when you do so.  If you can live with that combination for the tractor you're looking at, go for it.

Point is, once it comes down to Physics, the Physics don't have any idea what badge is hanging on the metal or what color it was painted.  For pulling, it comes down to the weight applied over the traction area and the coefficient of that tractive/friction force for the materials in contact.  Where the rubber meets the road as they say.

Just saying, what pulls one thing for somebody somewhere sometime, can sometime not do worth a crap for somebody in some other case, and be out shined by something that sucked in the first scenario.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:45am
Was selling standing corn to a nearby town for October decorations one time.  Guy in a huge chebbie 4x4 was spinning, getting stuck, couldn't back out of it....Woman in a Ford Explorer backed up to him, hooked on, pulled him on out.  THAT was funny!!!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:35pm
what most trucks need is 1000 pounds in the back of the bed.... then they will pull.  Like Tbone said, its getting the traction to the ground..... kind of like a tractor with a loader on it... you need WEIGHT in the BACK end.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 4:31pm
For Desertjoe                                  https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/320194/   Info on 57 with plow.

For Shammers   No info

Edited by chaskaduo - 30 Jan 2019 at 4:31pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 6:44pm
Hubert, see what you started! LOL
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm
Wife says I’m good at stirring the pot. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:29pm
one local business had a 2 wh drive pickup that they used to plow snow off their lot every year, they just loaded the back end with a lot of snow for weight, it worked just like the others with the 4x4's. I had a snow blade on the front of one of my conversion vans one year, got a lot of looks, but it didn't work for chit!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:10am
Shoulda filled the inside up with snow. Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:33am

one local business had a 2 wh drive pickup that they used to plow snow off their lot every year, they just loaded the back end with a lot of snow for weight, it worked just like the others with the 4x4's. I had a snow blade on the front of one of my conversion vans one year, got a lot of looks, but it didn't work for chit!
When a buddy of mine was in college, they strapped a beer pong table to the front of a Ford Focus, and ran a rope back into each window so they could angle the blade either side.  Cleaned out the driveway to their house with it.  Where there's a will there's a way!LOL

A truck with weight in the back and good tires will do a LOT.  Don't use suitcase weights though.....when you slam on the brakes to avoid a deer, bad things happen.  Ask me how I know.  A worse situation and the flying weights could have been very dangerous.  I switched to sandbags after that.

The neighbor is a veterinarian.  He did his "residency" in Montana in the late 70's.  He said they used to build up a few inches of ice in the back of the trucks, then put the vet service unit in on top of that.  2 wd truck would go a lot of places with that rig.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:12pm
I was raking hay on day with the 180, then saw steam blasting outta the breather tube, shut it down right away, the baler man was coming in a couple hours and I didn't have another tractor handy, soooooo….I finished the field pulling the rake with the hearse. the baler man came early and saw what I was doing...he just stopped and starred, when I got done and met up with him...he didn't say a word! he just started in baling! LOL (it worked o-k, was inside with air conditioning and my but on leather seats, and the stereo was cranking out!)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:27pm
Now that's a sight!

If only you could combine with that hearse.  You would literally be the Grim Reaper!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
LOL Thumbs Up
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Now that's a sight!  If only you could combine with that hearse.  You would literally be the Grim Reaper!
  That's GOOD !!!  LOLLOLClapClap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic