This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Posi-traction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Posi-traction
    Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
Did the 89 2wd F250's come with a positive traction or limited slip differential? Mine only drives one wheel and will get stuck on wet grass. My 87 F150 drives both rear wheels and gets far better traction. Guess I need to look up the VIN and see what it is supposed to have. And NO, Shameless, I don't need a Chebby.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:43pm
Hubert, you could get it both ways. A limited slip is a two edged sword. While working good in mud, wet grass and the like, they're very dangerous on ice. They'll get you making dough nuts before you can spit, and the stiffer the suspension the worse the are. so how much ice driving do most of us do? Probably not a whole lot if we can avoid it. Mud, yes.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:47pm
there should be a sticker on the drivers door... there are several "codes" listed on the sticker... there is one called AXLE that has two digits or a letter and a digit.. that will tell you the axle ratio and if it is conventional or LS unit.

I had a 89 F250 and it had a LS unit with a 4.11 gear ratio.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Jan 2019 at 9:49pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:49pm
Hey Hubert, if you need an 86 F250 with the diesel let me know. I know a fella that has one. I see him every morning when I look in the mirror
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 11:21pm
a buddy had one, he would gits stuck on a slight incline in dry gravel. he always had me come to pull his wagon loads of grain to what ever town he needed to go. one time I used a Malibu station wagon to pull his 300 bu wagon, he couldn't pull it with his ferd truck! took him years of embarrasement, but he don't buy ferds no more!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:44am
My 95 F350 had a limited slip differential and would spin on wet grass until you put it in 4 wheel drive. I believe the suspension and brakes and the weight forward on F series trucks made them work that way on slippery surfaces.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:34am
any Truck with Limit Slip will not have the traction of a 4 x 4.. Don't matter who built the truck. Trucks by nature are light in the back end.. They are made to haul heavy loads. Put a ton of fire wood or gravel in the bed and you see a big difference... That being said, my 1989 F250 with LS rear end went a LOT of places a Conventional Rear Axle would not go... But not nearly as much as my 2013 F150 4 x 4.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:40am
My 83 Ferd has Ls and leaves the driveway no problem and so does Jenn’s Jeep. My GMC won’t cross a wet cow turd without getting put in 4x4 and it’s hit or miss if the chatty 4x4 buttons will work or not. Oh and by the way google will lead you to hundreds of thousands of the GM trucks with the same problems as mine.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:48am
Those push button 4wd trucks are finicky. I had one and mine would go sometimes and not others. Wound up changing the servo motor in the transfer case and it worked right up until I traded. Pricey fix
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Those push button 4wd trucks are finicky. I had one and mine would go sometimes and not others. Wound up changing the servo motor in the transfer case and it worked right up until I traded. Pricey fix

The last switch I bought from Napa. I can’t remember the name but it’s been a good’en and same with the Fuel pump.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:16am
As noted, posi don't mean much if yer empty.  just get you 20' stucker...Wink
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:26am

My 01 silverado had that  4wd switch problem pulled it apart looked at the circuit bd with magnifier had cracked solder around pins resoldered no more trouble.  

Edited by Gordy - 27 Jan 2019 at 9:28am
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:01am
I have one of those Chevys that will get stuck on wet grass. Only had to be pulled up a gravel driveway one time so I guess that's not bad for past 25 years.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:15am
REAL men don't need fancy 4WD or LS.......LOLI used to drive my 67 stang FB all winter long and never got stuck...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Hey Hubert, if you need an 86 F250 with the diesel let me know. I know a fella that has one. I see him every morning when I look in the mirror

Tyler, thanks for the offer but I think I will stay with the '89. BIL gave it to me shortly before he passed so I don't have much invested in it. It stays at the farm and doesn't get used very much, but is nice to have around when I need to pull a trailer. I might check some junkyards and see if I can run across a used limited slip rear end cheap if I ever get caught up on my other projects. So far I have kept it out of places where I would get stuck.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
My 1989 F250 had the 351 and wide ratio ZF 5 speed manual... 2 wheel drive with LS unit.. You put 5-6000 pounds in the back end and drop it in LOW gear ( 6:1) with a 4:10 rear end and that thing would climb a tree...... Sure like the newer 4 x 4, but miss that old F250.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Jan 2019 at 4:05pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 4:57pm
4 wheel drive gets you 2 times stucker which only makes it 2 times harder to get unstuck because of all that extra stuckiness.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 5:02pm
My 99 SD F250 FWD has a 7.3 auto in it, boat anchor dead weight in front end drives it into mud snow or sand like a nail. Tried wider tires just eats them up faster then the back end floats out, is as if needs duals on the Front!!

Edited by DMiller - 27 Jan 2019 at 5:02pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 5:19pm
Thinking back to my old rear engine VW beetle days with skinny tires that would go anywhere I'd question if you shouldn't have tried narrower tires. Not as much profit for tire companies but who cares.

Edited by Walker - 27 Jan 2019 at 5:26pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 6:38pm
yes, tall ,skinny tires are far better than short, fat tires. I also had 300# steel in the back to offset the plow.
Had 16" tall,skinnies on my CJ-5 and ,yup, could plow snow all day long, friend with same Jeep has fat( wide) 15" tires... got stuck a lot...the deal was a beer a pullout... I drank for free 1st winter.... !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

My 1989 F250 had the 351 and wide ratio ZF 5 speed manual... 2 wheel drive with LS unit.. You put 5-6000 pounds in the back end and drop it in LOW gear ( 6:1) with a 4:10 rear end and that thing would climb a tree...... Sure like the newer 4 x 4, but miss that old F250.

I had the same truck, but with a 460. Unless you had 2000+ lbs in the back, you did not need to put it in low. And not to far away, there is a steep/straight/1 1/2 mile long hill.
4000 lbs in the back, 55 at the bottom,5th gear and you could top it at 75-80.
gears
1- are we moving
2- I can walk faster than this
3- finely at 30 mph
4- 55-65mph
5- just passed a vet and red line on the rpm's is still along way off.
I would do that every chance I got.
Open 4-lane, that fast car would come up beside my old beatup truck and I would pull just a few feet ahead and stay there. I would have to backoff around 90mph as the steering would start to get lose.
My 2001 F250, 7.3, 6 speed, is a baby, to that truck. Even empty, you have to hit the bottom of that hill, at 65, to make the top at 55.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:02pm
WHY do they make a 1 wheel drive?  My new (to me) Chevy Silverado doesn't have any LS either.  In Wisconsin, that's not a good thing.... Dumbest thing I've ever seen.  I too will be looking for a LS rearend.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:09pm
In about '76 or '77 I worked for a local heating contractor serving mostly home furnaces, most were oil fired. I was provided with a new Dodge van, slant six engine with a 3 speed stick transmission and snow tires. We had a lot of snow that winter. I've never driven a 2 wheel rear axel vehicle go in snow like that one did.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:51am
1991, owned a 1990 Ford Probe GT, fat sport tires.  Sweet car.  Was on a job sight.  Slight grassy grade down to the equipment.  Lots of stuff to carry, so I drove down to it.  Worked all morning, lunch time came and I drove off to  lunch, no worries.  Boss says dang son, if you're working on that mess down there, take the company Suburban to carry all the crap.  OK.  Damn thing wouldn't go up that grassy grade no matter what I tried!   Sorry Shameless, back to even territory and then some!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:23am
1978 GMC 1ton 4x4 with 350 engine limited slip 4.56 axle . Could pull anything with 2 ends. Go anywhere but by a gas Station ! Probably the best truck I ever owned and cost $6,000 new!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:54am
I bought my brothers old 2001 Ferd Ranger about 4 years ago. He got a good used maybe 2008 F150 4x4. He gets stuck in 10 inches of snow in a corn field and the Ranger will go about anywhere but around a corner in 4 wheel drive. He's not very happy about it.
 I used to ride to work with a fellow that bought a new 1978 F150 4x4 with a 300-6  and limited slip front diff and a traction lock rear. He ordered it that way. Not many pay any mind to what diff a truck has when they buy em, it seems. That thing didn't like turning in 4 wheel drive either, but would go thru some deep crap when needed.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:20pm
the biggest thing now a days is that most people won't buy mud/snow tires. they think they can do both with the advertised "all season" tires. all they are...are street tread with the tread just a wee bit spaced, not enough.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:45pm
Gotta hand it to the Amish, don't pay no road tx then braze crushed carbide to the front of their horses shoes and go do more damage to a road than a fleet of cars.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 1:06pm
That's religious freedom.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Did the 89 2wd F250's come with a positive traction or limited slip differential? Mine only drives one wheel and will get stuck on wet grass. My 87 F150 drives both rear wheels and gets far better traction. Guess I need to look up the VIN and see what it is supposed to have. And NO, Shameless, I don't need a Chebby.
You can add a locking differential fairly easily to the existing axle. There's a type sometimes called a 'lunch box locker' made by Auburn Gear called the Max Lock. It installs inside the original carrier, you just pull the side and pinion gears out. There's no setup or special tools required. It's a bunch easier to do than replacing a complete axle assy that probably needs new clutch plates as well. It behaves like a Detroit Locker so sometimes it will clunk on turns.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic