This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:58pm
Changed the cartridge in our sink faucet . Stop under the sink (hot side) wouldn't turn completely off . Water was blackish when I flushed the line . Pulled the shut off stem . No washer ?!! Ended up cutting the 1/2" copper and put a 1/4 turn compression valve on . Way more work than I wanted to do . Thanks Oh and I found what was left of the washer in the valve body .

Edited by ACinSC - 10 Oct 2019 at 3:00pm
Sponsored Links

Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:24pm
I have found that with most plumbing jobs, buy what you need, then buy 25 other items that you might need, then get 3-4 more for good luck. Do the job, and return whats left!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:39pm
Good advice Dave . I made 2 trips for supplies today and 1 yesterday . Luckily I'm close to home Depot and Lowe's . Thanks
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 3:56pm
When I'm doing plumbing, if I go to the hardware store for parts, the checkout person usually asks if I found everything OK.  MY answer, "I don't know yet.  I'm working on plumbing so I won't know until I'm done and expect to be back at least 3 more times today for more stuff."  Yep, usually go back a couple of more times before I'm done.  Good thing I live less than 2 miles from the store.

Oh, and by the way, I usually stock a lot of plumbing stuff like extra traps, basket strainers, valves, gaskets, short pieces of pipe and fittings, etc.  My shed looks like a small hardware store.  However, when I have a plumbing problem, I almost certainly DO NOT have whatever it is I need for that problem.  Go figure!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:04pm
Yeah Ray , I have a little bit of plumbing stuff . Actually found 3 new shut offs that I was hoping to swap the stems with . Didn't work as they are brasscraft and I need Eastman . Just my luck .
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Yep AC, that's always the way it goes.  No matter what you have, you always need something else.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:59pm
Plumbing is one of those jobs that takes at least three trips to complete. buy every thing including stuff you know you wont need. go back for more stuff after you find greater problems. again to get tools you shouldn't need that you let at home and its to far to get them. one more trip to get the stuff you broke taking it apart. and a final trip to return all the items you bought in the first place cause that really wasn't the problem.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:32pm
One trip to Lowes /Menards /Home Depot is expected for each job . 2 trips and I am pissed . 3 trips and someone is going to die .

Customer the other day wanted to know if I charge for the time it takes to run and get a part that I did not have on the van . I told her I go to big box stores and sometimes they dont have what I need . How could I possibly keep everything in the van .

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 10 Oct 2019 at 9:36pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:49am
Wondering if the washer on these 26 year old under sink shut offs is replaceable ? I've got a can of washers somewhere . Thanks
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:58am

Well,,I'm like everybody else in that I have to go back a few times before I'm done,,but I've found that it is much better to but some stuff that "looks" like I "Might" need as it much better to have it and take it back when you're done,,,,IF,,,you save the receipts,,,,,WinkWink
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:39am
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Wondering if the washer on these 26 year old under sink shut offs is replaceable ? I've got a can of washers somewhere . Thanks

They weren't meant to be replaced but is doable. BTDT. They are pressed over a stud, not held by a screw. I find it easier to replace the whole stem. The packing washer is also replaced cuz it can leak there too
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:17pm
I really like all of the Shark fittings.  Stick it on and done.  No glue, no threads, no crimping!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I really like all of the Shark fittings.  Stick it on and done.  No glue, no threads, no crimping!

I do use them at work, but, I am not a fan of using them for a buried in the wall fix.  I have seen them fail over time.  But to be honest, they do work, and work well!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 5:49pm
The very first one I installed, I cut the O ring. Deburr the tube and insert square to the tube. They work well but I would never conceal one.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:46pm
I have at least 3 tool boxes FULL of plumbing stuff that I'm just too stubborn to take back.  I always figure "I'll need it next time IF I do take it back."  And then it'll cost more besides.  Might just as well hang onto it.

Plumbing is easy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you start at A and go to Z.  It was only supposed to be A to C, but............  you turn this pipe,,,,,,you turn this nut,,,,,,you just keep going till it's ALL replaced.  It's that easy.  HONEST
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 9:05pm
My thought is kinda like doing exhaust work on a car...lol...cut it all off and start over....yep it costs more BUT its less aggravating

I got some plumbing to do coming up next week....new counter top and sink....when I put it back together it will all be NEW...lol

Eazypeazy...lol

Ocharry
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:05pm
run a camper hose?
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:45am
Never used any 'shark' fittings . Heard they work well . Have had good luck with compression fittings . Plan to mess around with the Eastman supply valve I cut off and see if I can get a washer on it . Thanks
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
Put a OO flat washer on this under sink water supply stop stem . Seems like it might work ? I'll try it out later and see . Thanks
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I have at least 3 tool boxes FULL of plumbing stuff that I'm just too stubborn to take back.  I always figure "I'll need it next time IF I do take it back."  And then it'll cost more besides.  Might just as well hang onto it.

Plumbing is easy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you start at A and go to Z.  It was only supposed to be A to C, but............  you turn this pipe,,,,,,you turn this nut,,,,,,you just keep going till it's ALL replaced.  It's that easy.  HONEST
WOW A CHAINSAW EXPERT AND A PLUMBING EXPERT! ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by 200 10and20 - 12 Oct 2019 at 8:32am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 11:45am
My place is an old farm house built in 1914 and the plumbing put in back in the early 30's. Heck my kitchen sink is an old cast tub 6" deep x 32" wide x 18" to the back, this is inside the tub. The cast one piece backsplash is 18" from bottom to top. I just had to redo the old drain in the claw tub, parts are as rare a hens teeth and expensive. I still got some lead pipe drain lines I do not look forward to as they go up into the walls from the basement. Yeh it's like pulling teeth with a needle nose and no novocaine. Cry
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 12:03pm
Many years ago I worked for a plumbing supply company . We sold cast iron pipe and lead and oakum? Thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 12:21pm
Have been witness to what happens in PEX homes, also with sweat soldered piping if done badly. PEX tends to be unforgiving as to abuse, copper with a good sweat solder will often outlive the installer.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 1:16pm
Had to make a lead and oakum joint as part of the test to get a journeyman license. Most of the plumbers around my jurisdiction today don't even know what that is.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 2:04pm
I'm thinking you pack oakum in the joint and pour hot lead on ? We also sold no hub couplings that clamped together . Thanks
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:08pm
They don't want any lead pipes here. Keep this info on the down low, low, low. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:14pm
Wink Most of you must be way to close to the store,all this three trips and taking things back.ConfusedConfused I need a hour to get to the store and back,plus what ever time in the store to find where they have it hid this week.

You need to see what you need and then buy 2 cause you never know.Wink Then bring some more fittings just cause.

But it is time to go reorganize my supply lockers again. 

Things like dresser coupling are one of the greatest inventions of all time in my got to have water now fixing. It is just getting the old tired self out of the mud after putting the pipe together anymore.LOL
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:32pm
Plumberscarin , The last lead joint I poured was for my plumbing test to get my Illinois license . Yes pack the oakum (horse hair back in the day ). Then pour the lead in one pour . For my test you had to break the cast iron joint after you poured and it had cooled. They measure and it needs to be 1 inch wide within a 1/4 inch all the way around . Somewhere they still have it and will store it for eternity, so they say . 2 problems when you pour. Lead too hot , it burns too deep in the oakum . Too cool and it sets up before it can flow all the way around evenly . Definitely a lost art . Do not believe they require it any longer. The really good ones can pour where plastic and cast meet.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 12 Oct 2019 at 9:41pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 5:59am
Yep, I have poured joints with PVC pipe in the hub. Always amazing it doesn't burn through the pipe. I don't think they teach it here anymore. At least not at the local college. I think even the union quit teaching it.
Anyway, I find myself in the same boat with projects that I get way more than I need to avoid a trip back now that I don't have a service truck anymore. And of course when a new project pops up I don't have THAT fitting so there we go again.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:26pm
one of my sinks stopped up in the drain. tried several dif ways to unclog it. finally had to remove some of the wall to get to it, who ever put that drain in is gonna gits slapped upside the head by me if'n I find him! there are 5 bends (screwed piping) in the drain that runs horizontal into the wall. the fix? PVC pipe drain from sink, drill hole in floor, run the PVC across basement ceiling at a slight drop to the sump pump! I wanna put in all new probably PEX for hot and cold, will almost hafta put in sum big filters too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic