This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

plow question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plow question
    Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 11:01pm
I finally got around to having a new turnbuckle made for my 2-14 plow. I'm pretty sure it's a model 52. I'm pulling it with the CA. Traction booster system works like it's supposed to. When I set it all up the first time taking in account no furrows yet, I had it setting on the floor in the shop level. First pass the rh bottom cut in some, the left hardly went in. I turned the beaming screw in most of the way and the rh bottom cut in pretty well but the left did little more than scratch the surface. I shortened the turnbuckle I had repaired for the RH lift link all the way and that seemed to help quite a bit. It makes me wonder if maybe the turn buckle is still too long? What are the 2 set screws on the tongue for? I see I can angle the plow to the left or right with them. Moving the right wheel in or out changes the width of cut right? What about centering the plow on the cross bar that the lift links attach to? I took it all apart to free up all the adjustments. With just the tongue, lift links, and cross bar hanging on the tractor, the tongue is centered on the bar and the lift links are straight up and down. I then centered the rest of the plow on the cross bar as best I could. If the turnbuckle is still too long, once I have a furrow to drive in, I will need to shorten it a little more yet won't I?
Anybody have a manual for a 52 plow that they would be willing to sell?

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 23 Oct 2010 at 11:17pm
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sponsored Links

Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 5:21am
I have the same problem with the one I changed from pin hitch to snap coupler. I going to change the anchor on the turnbuckle. Move the rear anchor to the rear so I can tilt to front down.
"Burgie"
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 7:48am
Brian, it sounds to me that you need new plow shares.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 10:33am
First I must ask, because I have seen problems with it before.  Do you have a pin hitch on the tractor or a snap coupler?  If you have a snap coupler, was it originally equipped so(what year?).  If it was originally a pin hitch and converted, was the lift arms cut off the correct amount? 

A you sure the plow is/was all original?  You can convert them, but the need not only a new drawbar loop but the lift links are completely different, just not the top of the link. 

Last.  You should level as you said in a shop with the rear *and front(if its a wide front end* tires up on 6-8" blocks.  But your first pass you will have to crank the adjusting screw pointing the bottoms down all the way(count turns so you can easily reset it back to the previous level for the next and all subsequent passes)

Also do you have your rolling coulters set right?  about 1/2" outside of the frog?  Is your land slide/shoe in good condition, This gave me grief for a while, quite similar problems to what your experiencing. 

Last of all, I don't know about where you are at, but here in indiana, its to damn dry to plow,  If so it will be difficult to get it to go in. 
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 4:06pm

The ground is moist here. No shortage of rain the last couple years. I have the coulters set like you describe. The landside looks good to me, but I can't say for sure I know what I'm looking at. I'm wondering if Dennis is right. I have to turn the beaming screw in most of the way to get much depth. When I had it set to where it would go in the ground and brought it back in the shop, when I set it down, it sets on the RH bottom's tip. The LH is almost 2 inches off the floor.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 4:10pm
If it is the points that are worn out, is it possible to build them up by welding? The points on this plow have part of the landside on them. There's no listing for my plow in Agco's parts books.
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 7:09pm
May not be your problem but I found when using over size tires, it raises the tractor enough to lose your depth adjustment. I had to cut the rod down about 2 inches shorter to catch up.
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
John In. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John In. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:07am
did you try and lengthen the L.H. lift link.  The beaming screw gives you the depth that you plow, the lift links level the plow out. You might need to lengthen the L. H. lift link to get the L.H. plow to dig in.  The 2 set screws on the tongue are used to center the tongue between the beaming plates ,but you can also use them to change the width of cut( for a minor change that is)    John
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:37am
If I shorten the RH link all the way and turn the beaming screw all the way in the LH bottom does dig in, but the bottom of the furrow is not even close to being somewhat level. It's at least 30 degrees off.
The plow as far as I know is a snap coupler originally. The tractor is a 51 but has snap coupler and it has 11.2-24 tires.
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:38am
Brian - The lift links need to be approx 3" different in length. ie, the RH link is the shorter one.  On mine the RH one is 10".  Once you have your wheel spacing set, you can then proceed to adjust the tongue.  With the 2 setscrews on the tongue, you adjust them to get the front bottom to take a full width cut and allow the plow to run straight behind the tractor.  This is a very sensitive adjustment. I would not adjust more than 1/2 turn at a time.  Depending on ground conditions you may need to run the coulters wide enough to get a nice clean furrow wall.  As for the shares, you can get new points welded on. - AL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:01pm
Getting new points welded on, I know where I can go to get the welding done well, but is this a really sensitive job? Will he really need to know how to contour them? I don't think I know enough about a plow point to direct him.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 1:15pm
I have always had trouble getting the ac plows right.  Wish someone would make a video on how to set one up correctly from the begining.

One thing that i always wondered. If the crank adjusts the depth, how does that work 
with the depth gauge wheel?

I heard that the tongue is supposed to be between the beaminfg plates...but what is the correct placement of the beaming plates?
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:01pm
Tom - The 2 screws between the beaming plates give you the same adjustment effect as moving the hitch on a pull type plow.  It allows the plow  to cut the correct width while it aligns the plow to the drawbar hitch point.  The beam screws are aligning the plow to the snap coupler hitch point.  On a 2-14 plow, the plow pull center is approx 17.5" from the furrow edge.  If the inside edge of your furrow wheel is 25", you need to adjust the beamscrews to make the plow pull straight.  You may need to move the tongue with the screws over 3-4"(to the left).  This will allow the plow to run straight.  As for welding plow points, you need to find someone who has done it before and knows  what there doing.

Edited by ALinIL - 25 Oct 2010 at 3:09pm
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:49pm

Al, clear as mud...

>>>"With the 2 setscrews on the tongue, you adjust them to get
the front bottom to take a full width cut and allow the plow
to run straight behind the tractor. This is a very sensitive adjustment.
I would not adjust more than 1/2 turn at a time."

Setscrews on the tongue????  If are talking about the setscews I am thinking about,
They are onthe crossbar...

Then the very next sentence:

>>>"This is a very sensitive adjustment. I would not adjust more than 1/2 turn at a time."

Sounds like we are now talking about the beaming crank, yes?  As I Dont see how turning setscrew on the crossbar a half a turn does anything...You loosen them to adjust the spacing of the bottoms relative to each other, tighten them when done.  If you are talking about the beaming crank, not sure how turning that crank adjusts
the width of cut as it is supposed to adjust depth, not width.

What is the "furrow wheel"?? Are we talking about the depth gauge wheel?

Still unclear how the beaming crank and depth gauge wheel work together
since both do the same..

>>>"You may need to move the tongue with the screws over 3-4"(to the left)."

You said setscrews on the tongue earlier, but I think you meant crossbar. So do you mean crossbar here, or the true tongue that hooks to the tractor???

Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 4:21pm
Went out and measured a plow on a D15. The RH lift link is 14 1/2"  bolt to bolt. The LH lift link is 11 1/2" bolt to bolt. I think that might cure my problem. Thanks guys.
"Burgie"
John In. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John In. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 4:39pm
 Left beaming plate should be 11 in. from left lift clevis, there should be 5 in. between left beaming plate and inner side of frame member for 14 in. plows. This is only a starting point. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no gauge wheel on a 52 plow  defth  is controlled by beaming screw.  The 52 is the same as a 53 just one less bottom.  HTH John 
Jeff(WC)(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:24pm
I had a 53 plow and different problems, but you may find some helpful info in this thread where i was asking questions, it's 2 or 3 pages long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 6:49pm
I was talking to my ex father-in-law today and it may be the points are worn out. The front point doesn't dip down much at all. The last time I plowed with it I remember "finding" a couple rocks that were big enough to yank the front wheel out of the furrow and firmly plant the steering wheel nut into my chest. That was ideal ground to scour a plow as it was really sandy. He tells me that I may be fighting something bent since it sits on the RH bottom and the left one is a couple inches off the floor. He also says the old rule of thumb is with the point on the floor, the back of the landside should be 3/4 to 1 inch off the floor.
Jeff, how did your plowing turn out? I did remember the shortening the right side lift link to get the left side into the ground more from your thread.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 25 Oct 2010 at 6:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:04pm
The 52 has no wheels and depth is just with the beaming screw. John, are those measurements from the manual for a 52, or just experience? How about tread width? In the "Plowing For Profit" video I have they are using a WD and a "round beam" plow. For 14" bottoms they say tread width center to center 56".
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 7:57pm
Brian, do you have a manual? If you need one I can copy mine and email it to you.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 9:50pm
Brian - Sorry for the confusion Tom.  The setscrews I am referring are the ones on either side of the plowhitch(tongue) in the bottom of the 2 plates that hold the beaming crank(depth adjustment).  It allows the plow  to cut the correct width while it aligns the plow to the drawbar hitch point.  Remember the plow has a point from which it wants to pull from (approx 17.5" from the furrow wall on a 2-14)and the tractor pulls the plow from a point determined by the wheel thread.  The Furrow wheel is the RH wheel that runs in the furrow.  The reason for only moving the setscrews only 1/2 turn at a time is that moves the tongue eye about an inch at a time.  Normally you need to move the tongue to the left so the plow will run straight.  The screws in the crossbar are factory set and only moved if you go to 16" bottoms.  Hope this helps. - AL

Edited by ALinIL - 25 Oct 2010 at 9:52pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:15pm
Brian-
I ended up getting to the point where it plowed pretty good.  But nothing to write home about.  the front bottom was not digging as much as the back, and the front bottom was not cutting all the way as far right as it should have, therefore between the two issues it would not turn as much dirt with the first bottom as the third...making my plowed ground higher on the left and sloping down to the right...and as i kept going around it left waves acrossed the field....it came down to on mine needing to adjust drawbar set screws, but one was welded on my plow, and then i drove the tractor acrossed the mackinac bridge, and then sold it to buy a oliver super 77 and 3-14, 4240 plow and just helped plow 30 acres with it yesterday, have no regrets.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:51pm
I have always heard Oliver made some of the best plows in existance. Seems like it was Dean Byerly that told me that when he worked for Brubaker's in Prairie City from time to time they would put Oliver's Raydex bottoms on A-C plows when nothing else would work.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 5:38am

thanks Al,
that clears it up some! 

"Remember the plow has a point from which it wants to pull from (approx 17.5" from the furrow wall on a 2-14)and the tractor pulls the plow from a point determined by the wheel thread."

If I am visualizing this correctly (no small feat) Im thinking you need to have these points aligned the as best you can..Boy an illustration would help.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WC)(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 7:17am
Tom-
check out the third page of the thread i posted a link to...ALinIL put up a good picture for hitch points
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Jeff(WC)(MI) Jeff(WC)(MI) wrote:

Tom-
check out the third page of the thread i posted a link to...ALinIL put up a good picture for hitch points

Good schematic Al...

So that final adjustment of Beam screws or plow hitch to line with CL is minor adjustment to the 24.5??

Also, on the below pic, which blue line is the HP? (see where connects to tractor)
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

I have always heard Oliver made some of the best plows in existance. Seems like it was Dean Byerly that told me that when he worked for Brubaker's in Prairie City from time to time they would put Oliver's Raydex bottoms on A-C plows when nothing else would work.

For a long time they were.  Good plow and used the least power/fuel compared to other bottoms.  That is until the kerverland bottoms came out, they blow every thing else out of the water? Furrow? 

Brian, the snap coupler did not come out on the CA until January of 54 so if yours was a 51 it was converted.  I do not know the measurements or the exact method (I think the used the bottom hole of the pin hitch pin holes) but they were shortened compared to the pin hitch lift arms and cause problems with some implements, and would with the plow. 
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 11:30am
Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.  Big thing to remember is that a plow has its hitch or pull point  and the tractor has its pull point. The tractors pull point is determined by wheel thread.  I have a WD45 and a no 52, 2-14 plow.  I run the wheels out one notch(hole).  I have adjusted the screws in the tongue so the plow runs straight and the front bottom takes about 15".  The little extra width on the front bottom helps fill and make both furrows level.  Sometime when I plow I'll try to get some pictures.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by ALinIL ALinIL wrote:

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.  Big thing to remember is that a plow has its hitch or pull point  and the tractor has its pull point. The tractors pull point is determined by wheel thread.  I have a WD45 and a no 52, 2-14 plow.  I run the wheels out one notch(hole).  I have adjusted the screws in the tongue so the plow runs straight and the front bottom takes about 15".  The little extra width on the front bottom helps fill and make both furrows level.  Sometime when I plow I'll try to get some pictures.

Wish it was that simple for me.  I have hooked up a plow, it sits on the concrete pad nice and straight in line with the tractor. The tip of the left share edge is 15" or so from the inner edge of the right tractor wheel (just like your illustration). Had the left side wheel of the tractor up on a block to mimick the furrow depth, winged the plow level.. and the we proceed to pull all cockeyed...bah! You need  to be a rocket scientist  It seems to me...

So what blue line is the hitch point?

Edited by TomYaz - 26 Oct 2010 at 12:10pm
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 1:10pm
Tom - It's not rocket science.  Remember the sitting on the concrete is NOT the same as pulling the plow in the ground.  The leveling is a good start.  Once you get the plow in the ground and go about 50 ft, stop, get off and see what you got.  Make adjustments and go again, stop, get off and again observ.  Did it improve or is it worse.  If worse, you know you adjusted the wrong way.  After about 3-4 trys you will see progress.
Also I assume the plow is scoured. - AL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic