This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planters rolling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planters rolling?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:42am
Everybody in the neighborhood including us is ready to plant corn. It is dry enough out in the fields, but nobody is planting because it is so cold, and the forecast is terrible. Are there planters rolling in your neck of the woods?
Sponsored Links

TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 7:50am
Everything is white here. A few inches of lake-effect on the ground, more coming. 29 degrees. Maybe someone's planting but I can't see because it's SNOWING lol
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:04am
A couple of BTO's planted some soybeans.  Most people are not planting yet.  Some field cultivating of last years chiseled corn stalks that's going into beans has been done.  
For the most part, still too wet and cold here.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:54am
A lot of planting here last week, ammonia tanks bout run you down on the road too, so things are gittin started, had a lot of snow yesterday and neighbor kept right on plantin!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:04am
Way too cold here yet.  Forecast 23F for tonight. 

To me, anyone who would plant corn before May 1 in this county is  N U T S.  I prefer May 10+, but then again I like to sleep at night.  I've been discing corn ground on Memorial Day weekend in the snow before.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:34pm
Made delieverys here yesterday. No planters but saw a lot of NH3 and other fieldwork going on. Just seen the weather, gal said 4" of snow next day or so. Wonder if ol shameless stays up all night dreaming about this stuff??

Edited by HD6GTOM - 10 Apr 2020 at 1:36pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 5:08pm
If'n he's dreaming, it's a nightmare for the rest of us.
T'bone, I agree with you.  My grampa NEVER planted anything until after May 10.  He could always tell if you planted before that, he said whatever it was you planted was smaller and you lose a lot of good seed cause of the cold ground.  I've always believed him and have followed him and his sayings forever.  I wish I had written all of them down.  He lived and breathed by old mother nature.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:48pm
Different planting dates for different areas, the southern tip of Illinois it is probably time to plant, Illinois Wisconsin line is last week of April first week of May. If you go to northern Wisconsin Michigan there is probably snow in the woods. Sounds like Easter forecast is snow for a bunch of northern states. A big farm who is always early said a couple of years ago he will plant early if the ground is dry because it tends to be warmer and seed wont rot. Actually have a few that have planted soybeans here already that seems to be the latest fad.

Edited by DanWi - 10 Apr 2020 at 9:53pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:56pm
I always had a target date of May 1st to start planting, always worked for me cept when it rained that first week.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:27pm
When we were raising taters, my target date was May 7.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:34pm
We're about 65 miles northeast of St. Louis, MO and 45 miles south of Springfield, IL.  Lots of activity in the fields around here.  Activity varies as one drives down the road.  Some areas are too wet, others have tractors, sprayers, anhydrous rigs, tillage tools, and planters running hard.  Farmers are picking their spots.  A friend said a neighbor of his is out in the fields,  running his 48 row Deere planter.  
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:46am
Grocery stores already have Florida sweet corn.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:17pm
I don't think we can follow all the old timers dates so much......todays hybrids and genetics are a lot different
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I don't think we can follow all the old timers dates so much......todays hybrids and genetics are a lot different
Lots of truth to that for sure.  But I don't follow the old timer's dates because they're old timers dates, I recall just two years ago 9 inches of snow on May 6, and just last year frost on May 13th.  I don't care how new of a hybrid it is, until they come out with a frost proof one, and I live here, I'll keep Michigan weather in mind!  There are springs where it's warm, and forecast to stay warm, and therefore times when you can go a little early, but those opportunities are rare.

Edited by Tbone95 - 13 Apr 2020 at 12:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic