This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix Electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete-IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertronix Electronic ignition
    Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:13am
How do you test the module in a Pertronix distributor?  Was working, but now has no spark.
Sponsored Links

skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:24am
check your connections, be sure your gettin voltage to the module, check the coil for voltage, then if all else fails put in another module.  Thats the problem with electronic stuff, hard to diagnose for the do it yourselfer.  thats why I havent done any electronic ignition, sooner or later its gonna break. 
Steve M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 11:26am
Hook a test light to the  battery side of coil. With ignition on AND while cranking you should have a bright light. Then hook your test light to Dist. side of coil and while cranking the test light should flicker on and off. If no flicker while cranking I'd say you've got a bad module.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 12:53pm
Call the 800 #  they will tell you .
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 4:38pm
Pete,
Just so ya know, in case its the OEM 6V system that you have, you need at least 4 or more volts in a 6V E.I. in order for the module to fire the signal. If your engine is cranking slow, and the starter is taking quite a bit of power to turn the engine, the module won't get its 4+ volts needed to fire off the module. On some Tractors, the E.I. will fire off late (usually when you let go of the starter rod) because the E.I. needs that 4+ volts to ignite. Just a tid-bit of info for you and the guys running the E.I.'s on the 6V systems.....
Steve@B&B
PennsylvaniaNewt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 9:50pm
My 6 volt Petronix will sometimes do that when it's real cold.  It is kind of funny to let go of the starter knob and have it fire right off!
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 10:23pm
yup mine does the same thing, works just fine though 
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 3:59am
A 12V module can do like what Steve is talking about too if your cranking voltage drops below about 9V. All it takes is a bad cell in the battery. I had that problem once. The tractor cranked fine because it was a 6V starter. My cranking voltage was 8V. As soon as the starter was released, it would light off every time.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 8:56am

My WD with a pertronix did that for a long time and I kind of put up with it because I had been warned to expect just what we are talking about here. Time went on and we were doing some work on the battery box and ignition switch and I found a contact lug that was not staked down on the switch good enough and that was my source of low voltage to the pertronix unit. With a new switch it will fire off even in real cold weather when it is cranking slow. So be sure to measure voltage and find the real source of the trouble. I am still amazed that it works so well and that I tolerated it for as long as I did.  

EdK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 10:28am
I fried 2, 12 volt Pertronix modules before I found my alternator to be faulty and was putting out voltage spikes. Replaced the alternator and all has been well, since.
Pipe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 7:42am
 I just put one on my sons Ca and it blew the back right off  the module , tractor started and ran twice then would not start thats when we found it . Not sure what happened . tech from the factroy said he never heard of that  before .  Any ideas guys .
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:31am
Pipe, Sounds like an over-voltage situation.  Usually the label will curl and sometimes brown.  Since we don't get the cold you guys up north get, it not asw much a problem with the slow crank on 12 volts, but the 6 volt setups do it all the time.  I usually steer folks away fromt he 6V EI unless they understand the low voltage problem.  BUt I sure sell a lot of the 12V systems.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:32am
Oh, sorry, I forgot to answer the original question.  I agree with Fred, call the 800 #, or your supplier.  If the label is in good shape, they should warrenty it for at least 1 year.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 8:53am
Ed K made a good point also. You fella's running these Pertronix E.I.'s that we sell, with 12V conversions, monitor your charging rates. If you're using a Voltmeter in your 12V system (especially with an Alternator) keep an eyeball out on an overcharging problem. Normal charging rate is 13.9-14.5. 14.2 is ideal. Anything higher than that can take the E.I. right out as what happened to Ed. Also, whatever you do, DON'T PUT A BATTERY CHARGER ON THE TRACTOR TO JUMP START IT with an E.I. installed. You'll blow the E.I. out by "spiking" it. Always Disconnect the Battery from the Tractor or remove the Battery and charge it if the Battery is low! Putting a charger on high 12V mode is a good way to take an E.I. right outta' service. Keep an eye on the condition of your Battery also. A Battery with a bad cell, will roll an "SI" series Alternator into high gear very rapidly because of the draw. The VR's in the "SI" series Alts are very sensitive. HTH
Steve@B&B
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 10:12am
Steve, that's good to know. I'll bet I'd have fried at least one module if I had a charger capable of boosting. I have charged my batteries without removing them many times, but the ign switch has always been off. Do you think it would make much difference if the charger is a regulated type? (mine is)
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 10:47am
if the little white sticker on the side of the pickup  is distorted or melted its bad also . dont ever pull a plug wire while its runnimng either the little pieces of junk cant handle that either. makes them useless on 2 cylinder john deeres. imho

Edited by mlpankey - 28 Feb 2010 at 10:51am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 5:52pm
Regulated or not Bri, I wouldn't take the chance of hooking a charger up without at least disconnecting the cables. You never know. Why spend another hundred bucks when you don't have to ya know?
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic