This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Persimmon Trees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persimmon Trees
    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:54pm
Here in northeast missouri the persimmon trees on my property do not have any persimmons on them. I am disapointed because this is how I judge our oncoming winter. Have a good night, Gary
Sponsored Links

Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
We have some persimmons in SWMO that are already ripe, which is shocking to me. I haven't personally cut any seeds but those I've heard of down here are seeing a lot of spoons
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:27am
i didn't have any aronia berries this year due to a late frost this spring
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:33am
Around here persimmons are just about gone this time of year .
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:25am
Shameless. That means you can point your machine further south in Missouri this year and skip northeast missouri. Spoons mean snow. LOL. Have a good day.Gary
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:03am
Have a relative abundance of Persimmon on the farm
Have two in wye shot of the house in cemetery and a half dozen along the drive
Several dozen scattered thru the drainage bottom by the barn

One point I was puzzled by finding the fruit along the driveway and no tree noted until finally figured out the tree is 12-15” across and close to 60’ tall!!
Fruit is 30’ up in the canopy!!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:47am
Used to be alot around these parts. But during the seventies they got cut to make golf club heads up. True Temper made gazillions of them.
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 12:18pm
I have a set of Wilson’s
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:25pm
Does it take two trees to get a fruit ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:25pm
Believe are self pollenating.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:35pm
We used to have a couple in the front yard when I was a kid... they were as much seeds as fruit, but delicious when ripe... ... ... if you bit into one that was not completly ripe, it would pukker you up enough to whistle forever... peace,
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:55pm
We have 2 groves of trees about 30 foot apart with about 15 to 20 trees in each group. 
All the trees in one grove have fruit on the trees and not one tree in the other grove has ever had fruit on them.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
We have several down on the bottom of our property. They haven’t produced well for a few years. Don’t know what makes them produce or not but it sure varies.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
I was told only the female trees have permissions .
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:20pm
Generally. Persimmon trees are either Male (pink flowers) or female (white flowers). A tree can have rarely have both sexes, that is a transpersimmon.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:34pm
Where are you Gary...I'm just north of Bowlingreen ....I have quit a few of these trees and they are loaded...and ripe...kinda early but they are...and some of the trees dont have any leaves on them...but lots of fruit...never seen that before....deer love the things too..lol

Ocharry
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:34pm
is the wood good in a smoker?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:59am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Generally. Persimmon trees are either Male (pink flowers) or female (white flowers). A tree can have rarely have both sexes, that is a transpersimmon.

nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:24am

Self-pollination

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One type of automatic self-pollination occurs in the orchid Ophrys apifera. One of the two pollinia bends itself towards the stigma.
One type of automatic self-pollination occurs in the orchid Ophrys apifera. One of the two pollinia bends itself towards the stigma.

Self-pollination is when pollen from the same plant arrives at the stigma of a flower (in flowering plants) or at the ovule (in gymnosperms). There are two types of self-pollination: in autogamy, pollen is transferred to the stigma of the same flower; in geitonogamy, pollen is transferred from the anther of one flower to the stigma of another flower on the same flowering plant, or from microsporangium to ovule within a single (monoecious) gymnosperm. Some plants have mechanisms that ensure autogamy, such as flowers that do not open (cleistogamy), or stamens that move to come into contact with the stigma. The term selfing that is often used as a synonym, is not limited to self-pollination, but also applies to other types of self-fertilization.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 10:44am
Hey Gary! How accurate has the persimmon seeds been in forecasting winter? Is it that reliable?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 11:46am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

is the wood good in a smoker?

I use it when green and like it a lot.
A little soft and burns like soft wood when dry.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:36pm
I have had this a few yeaars and it has never bloomed one year it froze off and can back from the roots.
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:45pm
Ocharry. I am southwest of bowling green about15 milesw. Close to Gazette
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:47pm
Steve MC/il  It is an old timers saying about the seeds in persimmon
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
Dang Gary...we is almost neighbors.... We might have to meet up in BG for a coffee sometime

Ocharry
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Gary(MO) Gary(MO) wrote:

Steve MC/il  It is an old timers saying about the seeds in persimmon

I Know what it is.....that isn't what I asked you. Read it again. You said you use it to tell winter...... how's that panned out¿

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 02 Oct 2020 at 10:01pm
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:38am
SteveM C/IL I don't really know. I have seen seeds with spoons,forks,knife at different years but some of the mild winters I seen spoons with little snow. I think it could an old timers conversation piece. Gary 
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:39am
ocharry. Sounds good. Gary
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 6:11am
so no persimmons means NO Winter ?????Big smile
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:20pm
late freeze got mine this spring too and had no fruit this year either
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic