This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Persimmon Seeds.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Persimmon Seeds.
    Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:27pm
Well, we have persimmons on the place, I enjoy a good ripe persimmon actually a LOT of good ripe persimmons but I digress.  Wife won't eat them but does cut the seeds open where all we have found to date have been Spoons.

Gonna be snow this year!!  That and the Hobo Spiders have been entering the house in LARGE Numbers which tells me frost is coming.
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:31pm
Frost?!?!?! It was 95 degrees here today.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:35pm
Are there male and female persimmon trees?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Well, we have persimmons on the place, I enjoy a good ripe persimmon actually a LOT of good ripe persimmons but I digress.  Wife won't eat them but does cut the seeds open where all we have found to date have been Spoons.

Gonna be snow this year!!  That and the Hobo Spiders have been entering the house in LARGE Numbers which tells me frost is coming.

Well, Mr Miller,,I've read a lot bout them persimmons, but since they don't grow in this neck of the woods,,,I have no idea what they even look like or taste either,,,,
 Them persimmons must be pretty BIG for them spoons to fit inside them,,,,,,Wink
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:50pm
So Dave! What's the track record on them seeds over the years????
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:15am
For us as to Persimmon Weather casting, the wife’s mother had three trees and as we bought this place a almost grove of them we have been checking them for close to 37 years, wife’s mother preceded us by another 40+ with a close to 80% correct rate.
When the seeds show different tree to tree is when they were off, confusion reigns!! When seeds from multiple trees showed same pretty well hit the mark. This year they are all so far the same here.
Knife appearance normal cold but dry, Fork is Ice and bitter cold, Spoon is Snow or precipitation.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
Hey there Dmiller.
     Would you please explain about the seeds and the weather forecast? I have no idea what you are referring to with the eating utensil  seeds. Not sure I would even recognize a persimmon tree since they don't seem to grow this far north. 
     Thanks, Russell. 
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Hey there Dmiller.
     Would you please explain about the seeds and the weather forecast? I have no idea what you are referring to with the eating utensil  seeds. Not sure I would even recognize a persimmon tree since they don't seem to grow this far north. 
     Thanks, Russell. 

If you ever eat one that's slightly green, you'll never forget, and, from then on, that first bite will be a very small one.
Maximum use of available resources!
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 1:11pm
I fell for that " here! Take a bite of this! They are good!!!
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

I fell for that " here! Take a bite of this! They are good!!!
I got a story about that. Friends kid came over and I got him to eat a green one. We laughed and laughed. He grows up ends up as an Ole Miss cheerleader, pictures of him with female cheerleaders holding them up on each of his arms, needless to say he was ripped, came home and ran in to him he said you know I have never forgotten you making me eat that green persimmon! I told   my wife I guess you have to be careful with kids they grow up one day!
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 4:56pm
And he won't forget,ever,, I can remember where we were,what we were doing before we got to the persimmon tree and EXACTLY what it tasted like and how numb my lips, tongue were, and that's 60 years or better ago.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 6:52pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:34am
that's cool! i've never seen/heard of this before!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:50am
Thanks for the tutorial on persimmon weather forecasting. Info might be useful to the local weather guys.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 2:31pm
Then the Spider part, local pest service noted they would see mass influx of them just before severe weather changes, Severe Rains, cold snaps, etc.  Just when you think is safe to go outside!!!
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:49pm
I checked ours yesterday and they have spoons in them too ! Plus thee wooly worms have a little black on both ends and lots of brown in the center !
Purple Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 7:34pm
I think that late April Snow we got this year did something to both of my Persimmon trees. I’m kinda bummed out about it
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 1:48pm
ours are green and hard yet.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Purple Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

ours are green and hard yet.
I’ve looked at several around my area and it’s the same way no fruit
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 1:04pm
We have 2 trees with a lot of fruit, but 6 that are barren. all are about 15 years old. This year they been sending up sprouts 20 feet from the trees. dont know what that is about. I thought they had to grow from seed. I started these in a pot from seed I picked up out in a local timber, thinking that they might be paw-paw seeds!
They are making a nice wall between the house and road, so I am letting them grow.
Did find one yesterday that was light yellow so they might be starting to turn now.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm
I hafve one that never blooms or anything
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:32pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 4:47am
Deer have been sneaking into the house yard and old cemetery to eat all that are now falling off the trees.  They pretty well clean up all the drop fruit to drop the seeds later elsewhere guaranteeing a crop of these elsewhere.

Spooked several last few mornings as let the dog out to do his bidness!!!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:02am
Anybody want to send me some seeds so I can try and grow a few of them?  According to what I just read on Wiki, I can grow them in this zone, zone 5.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic