This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Part of the gals are back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part of the gals are back
    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:02pm
We got's 1/2 of the bees back from California today. Looking good. They was all on pallets. Anybody who's been around them knows you don't mess with them gals when the weather is a changing. These gals got real nasty later this afternoon. It clouded up and rained real good about 7:00. They knew it was coming. Chased me into the shed. Glad we got them unloaded early this AM. Sons new bee handling forklift worked real good. We learned a lot about it today. Its a 3 wheeled unit, 1 rear drive tire, not a machine you set on.   The front wheels won't fit under the steps on the C6000 GMC truck nor under the fuel tank. Gotta leave the next load back 3' from the front of the bed. We unloaded a 55 gallon barrel of corn syrup from his pickup. The front wheels wouldn't go under the bumper so we takes my old skidloader to unload it and 1/2 of the bees. If it was a newer pickup we'd slip some air bags on the rear, its a 2000 Chevy with 350000 miles on it. Then I spent the rest of the day repairing lids, boxes, queen excluders, etc. I keep finding more stuff to fix, I got at least 3 more days of grinding paint and painting boxes, its raining so that gets out on hold. Got's at least 2 full days possible 3 days of fixing hive lids. 60+ of them. I made all these lids about 20 years ago, its time to fix them, wood gets rotten. I wish I'd a made them different, would be easier to fix. I guess the old gal is expecting me to start on her list one o these days. Sure cutting in ta my knappin time.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 07 Apr 2021 at 10:05pm
Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:27am
     Well HD6, while you are resting from all that work, we would like to see some pictures of what you are talking about. Sounds like you have quite a bee farm going there. 
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:19am
Tom,
 Thats a lot of work! Do you move the bees to work something close to home for the summer?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:43am

Chit,,,I always feel like I'm ready for a nap after readin ole Tom's post for just his "morning" jobs,,,,,whew,,,!!! LOLLOL
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:09pm
Was thinking if the tanks or the steps were just maybe 4 or 6 inches to low, make some ramps for the truck to drive up on to let your wheels go under the obstacles. Taking care of bees and equipment is a lot of work.
  B-I-L had around 900 hives at one time. Sadly the gov. allowed imports in and that killed the market for the apiaries.  Didn't help that to compete with the low markets, the big honey suppliers like suebee etc. were also mixing in corn syrup into the honey without having to label what was in the product at that time. Together, that destroyed the smaller debt laden apiaries.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:52pm
Good to hear of their safe return.  Did you get any reports on the job they did?  I hope they were successful. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 9:14pm
Guys I can't get pictures to post on this site. I have attempted to but it just don't work out. The majority of the hives will be here in out front yard. Son lives in a different county. He will have part of them scattered thru the county he lives in. We keep his honey separate from ours. He has his honey in a few stores in the county where he lives. Most people who have major allergies and use honey to combat them want honey from the area they live in. That's why we keep it separate. Almonds apparently don't make much honey. We had to leave feeders inside the hives so they could be fed while out there. I did not know that till this year. I had to take mom some groceries today so I didn't get a lot done today. Sorted thru the hive lids tonight several need to have the wood replaced. Some just needed a few screws to tighten them up. If the rain will stop, I'll get the exposed wood repainted. I'll probably get the rest repaired tomorrow. But I just got orders to deliever product tomorrow morning. The she says I gotta put the dang water heater back in the trailer, get the lights figured out, and tighten up the spring on the back door. That's gonna be a bear, dang spring is kinda in a hole, gonna be a problem getting 2 bars up in there and a wrench to work it.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:00pm
shucks...send them lids over here, my old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife is in her painting mode again. she has started to paint on the house already! whew!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:21am
That's one job I don't envy you Tom!  I HATE to paint, ANYTHING.
The little bit I know about bees keeps me safe.  I KNOW that when they get pizzed, they sting and I don't want ANY part of that.
It was overcast today, but it didn't rain at least.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:21pm
i stopped at one of the local gas stations yesterday, there was a flatbed truck at the pumps and thousands of bees swarming the truck. couldn't hardly walk into the store without being swarmed by them, as far as i know...no one got stung, but man...it was kinda scary. i didn't go back outside until he left, dunno if the bees went with him or just flew away. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:42pm
The balance of our gals are back in the state, got the call yesterday. Son has next week off work. He is headed over to pick them up on Monday. Shameless. Most likely that was a big beekeeper delivering his gals to different sites where he will leave them all summer. We will be transporting some of ours up to an hour away, but I assure you they will not be allowed to fly loosely about.   
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:51pm
The balance of our gals are back in the state, got the call yesterday. Son has next week off work. He is headed over to pick them up on Monday. Shameless. Most likely that was a big beekeeper delivering his gals to different sites where he will leave them all summer. We will be transporting some of ours up to an hour away, but I assure you they will not be allowed to fly loosely about.      I spent all afternoon cleaning up 120 medium frames. They are plastic frames. I have to power wash all of them. Will attempt to start that tomorrow. May have to rent a hotsie to get the job done. Then I have to melt quite a bit of beeswax and repaint them with it. Dang once that wax gets some age to it, it is dang hard to scrape off. And I got 30 more boxes to paint. Done in a couple of days. I HOPE.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 17 Apr 2021 at 11:52pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 2:21am
awwwww....it'll help keep you off the streets Tom!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
Got the balance of the gals back today, unloaded them in a snowstorm. Never done that before. Got all the boxes painted and repaired yesterday. Gotta power wash those pesky plastic frames and rewax them next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic