This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P/U Tire Inflation ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:29am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

They "call" it a 1/2 ton, dare you to look up the specs on a 5 year old "150" vrs. a 15-20 year old "150" WinkWink . I've been told by several independent shops that the 1-2-3 '50 series have dropped in "hauling/suspension" ratings by "1". A current F 150 has the same "rating" as a Lincoln Navigator CryCry

And I don't recall ever asking about "MAX" pressure in my original post OuchOuch ?? The upcoming election has gotten you in a tizzy SmileSmile

Your very first post/question asked about the sidewall versus the sticker. So asking about MAX pressure is EXACTLY what you did, you just didn't know it.
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:31pm
Thanks for the clarification T, I didn't realize the sidewall psi was "max". As it turns out, the the door well sticker and the side wall psi are 10 psi apart OuchOuch ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 13 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
That's a common spread of those two numbers. Assuming the sidewall is the higher!    If not that'd be interesting.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:49am
The door sticker numbers are for the ORIGINAL tires from the factory, so ONLY applicable to whatever brand and size and type those were.
Change the tires and the sticker spec is no longer valid.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:10am
You beat me to it Jay. I was just gonna say thing.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:44am
Yes. but even from the FACTORY the numbers dont have to match... We have a FLEX that has tires RATED at 1800 pounds each at 51 psi.... the door sticker says set at 36 psi and 1600 pound load.. No reason to set the tires at MAX 51 psi.... 1800 x 4 = WAY MORE than the GVW of that vehicle..... with factory tires.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:45am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Yes. but even from the FACTORY the numbers dont have to match... We have a FLEX that has tires RATED at 1800 pounds each at 51 psi.... the door sticker says set at 36 psi and 1600 pound load.. No reason to set the tires at MAX 51 psi.... 1800 x 4 = WAY MORE than the GVW of that vehicle..... with factory tires.

100% agree.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:52am
One thing being ignored here is the rating of the wheel, all oem wheels have a max load and pressure stamped on them, regardless of what the tire or the truck says, these are do not exceed numbers that usually will coincide with the door sticker of the vehicle.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
While it may seem like the tire co knows more, the correct answer is go by the door sticker. The manufacturer spends years testing and developing the vehicle to find the best vehicle performance and tire pressure reflects this. The tire co just builds tires to carry a load. Since their tires fit many different vehicles, that's why they have a maximum air pressure. You can put 20 ply tires on a 1/2 ton and air them up to maximum, but that doesn't increase the load capacity of the truck 1 ounce. All you're doing is making your vehicle ride rougher. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
So your saying if the door tag says 50# and the tires say 35#, we should air them to 50#?

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:56am
Don’t think he’s saying that, he’s a smart guy and mechanic. Seems if the door says 50 and you bought tires with 35 max you done bought the wrong tires.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

While it may seem like the tire co knows more, the correct answer is go by the door sticker. The manufacturer spends years testing and developing the vehicle to find the best vehicle performance and tire pressure reflects this. The tire co just builds tires to carry a load. Since their tires fit many different vehicles, that's why they have a maximum air pressure. You can put 20 ply tires on a 1/2 ton and air them up to maximum, but that doesn't increase the load capacity of the truck 1 ounce. All you're doing is making your vehicle ride rougher. 
LMAO !!! That's my take on the "Citiots" version of a P/U, a "LOADED -OUT Ford  F150 WinkWink that "might" have a sectional sofa in the "possibly" 6' bed LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
The problem with following the door sticker, is that it's for the ORIGINAL tires put onto that truck. More often that not, owners put different tires and rims onto their rides. I'd like a 'straw pole' to see how many put the EXACT same tires on their rides.
 I know I've NEVER put OEM tires on ANY of my rides when I replaced rubber, not in 50 years.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

The problem with following the door sticker, is that it's for the ORIGINAL tires put onto that truck. More often that not, owners put different tires and rims onto their rides. I'd like a 'straw pole' to see how many put the EXACT same tires on their rides.
 I know I've NEVER put OEM tires on ANY of my rides when I replaced rubber, not in 50 years.
Why not ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm
I dont think i have ever put the "factory" brand of tires back on a truck since 1989... My F250 came with Michelens and got 80K miles on the original tires, so i did that again... You normally put the same SIZE tires back on the truck, but not necessarily the same BRAND.  Factory is installing what they bought in BULK and got the BEST DEAL on that year.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:48pm

I agree Brian. That is how I have always figured it was also.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:51pm
Exactly... you always have BETTER rated tires on a vehicle than the door stick says... Would be stupid to put under rated tires on.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
Seems as long as the same size, load, and speed range match original, sticker pressure would still be correct.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 2:26am
Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

So your saying if the door tag says 50# and the tires say 35#, we should air them to 50#?
if your door tag says 50 and your tires say 35, that means you put a tire on that can’t handle the weight of your truck. In other words you have the wrong tire for the vehicle.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 4:28am

Originally posted by truckerfarmer truckerfarmer wrote:

if your door tag says 50 and your tires say 35, that means you put a tire on that can’t handle the weight of your truck. In other words you have the wrong tire for the vehicle.

I was just using that as an example, that not all tires are created equal.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:54pm
True, all tires aren’t created equal, but putting heavier tires than the originals doesn’t increase your payload. You’re still carrying the same weight so increasing air pressure only stiffens the ride.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:52am
First off, what's all this talk about a door sticker, the only one I ever saw says lock/unlock.

Secondly, when my sidewalls look too squaty I just add a little air till they look, you know kinda right.

Thirdly,  who in there right mind would ever waste money on a tire psi gauge, I've been told by more than one person that every gauge reads different. What a waste of money!

And lastly, if anyone takes my advice on tires and is as stupid as me then I'm not responsible for the fate of there rubber. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:53pm
Just remember the valve stem caps are a RIGHT hand thread!Hug
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:26pm
re: Just remember the valve stem caps are a RIGHT hand thread!

dang, a Chrysler300 I drove had  LEFT handed nuts on the left side..
..wonder what the valve stems were on THOSE tires ????Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic