This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ONAN voltage regulator for 720

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ONAN voltage regulator for 720
    Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:15pm
Looking for replacement voltage regulator and converter to replace OEM equipment on 720. anyone found a suitable replacement ???   
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm
Between Mother Nature with corrosion, the engine with blow-by and heat, and weak or bad stators, that problem could be anything. I would suggest the first thing to do is clean up all connections, inspect the wiring for breaks or rub throughs, and then check to see if she charges okay with your voltmeter. Sometimes, it just may be in the wiring or the plug connections... HTH BTW, We have a VR in stock for the 620/720 Tractors if interested, but do the clean up thing first.
Steve
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 3:33pm
Thanks Steeve
Rotating member / roter is good, stator is a two wire and puts out 25 VAC at idle and 49 VAC at full throttle.  Was looking to replace original two component system with one VR/Rectifyer ........... 
  Is this what you have ????   If so price it to me please .... 
You have my cell # just text price to me please.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Macon Rounds - 11 Jan 2016 at 7:28pm
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:27pm
Sorry, I misled ya. The one I was thinking of is for a Kohler application not Onan. I just checked on it tonight.  I would think maybe Brenda at Sandy Lake could help ya out.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 5:51pm
Thanks Steve.    Anyone else have voltage regulator/ rectifyer replacement for these ONAN motors ???
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm
Onan doesn't make voltage regulators for the CCKB anymore?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:06pm
Yep: thats what i have understand.   That is why i am looking for a replacement !!!!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:30am
Well thank you very much Cummins corporation... NOT!

Maybe adapt something from CDIelectronics. John Deere used the 2cyl Onan
on the 318 and 400 garden tractors.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Unfortunately i do not have the output voltage information on those engine electrical systems. However that is exactly what i am hoping to fine here with you good fellows.  Something comparable to the output of my system which is 25 VAC at idle and 49 VAC at full throttle.  Plenty of voltage regulators and rectifyers out there to choose from, unfortunately they seldome list the input voltage and current they are rated for. 
That's were you fellas come in.....    HELP !!!!! 
Thanks in ADVANCE . 

PS. i will check into CDIelectronics

Edited by Macon Rounds - 12 Jan 2016 at 4:07pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:42pm
Emailed my issue to CDI Tech Support.  Will let you all know what they have to say.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:57pm
http://casecoltingersoll.com/#/forumsite/21290
Try the case ingersoll forum I don't post over there but I have read alot of their posts and they have an entire section dedicated to these motors as they where used in the old case ingersoll mowers. I bet they can set you up with the parts you need.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:03pm
thanks .....  ill try them too ..
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:23pm
Curious, how may wire leads are coming from the stator, and what are their colors.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:15pm
Two wire ..............  not sure of the color ......... 
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm
http://www.casegardentractorparts.com/c3voresibo.html
I don't know if that is the right part or not but I have bought parts from those guys before and they are good have shipped me quality parts at a reasonable price before.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:07pm
If cleaning up all the connections doesn't work. And Sandy Lake doesn't have the replacement parts. And you want to adapt something still being produced/sold, then use the regulator from the John Deere 318/400 garden tractor. $15 on Amazon.
Find the wiring diagram for the 318. Easy- two outer terminals are your a/c from stator and the center terminal goes to the battery.
You need the plug connectors and must mount it good and grounded.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:11pm
Thanks
I assume 318/400 JD tractors have onan with 25vac to 50vac stator output ???
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 10:21pm
I would have to think they are real close to that.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:28pm
Looking for verification on that.  Have bought several CCKB engines were folks hooked up incorrect voltage regulators, stator looks like melted goop or worse yet sweels and knocks off a magnet which james into flywheel and causes all kinds of damage.  Worse case is it brakes the flywheel and chews up the crank.  Yep seen it happen.  Grrrr !!!   
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:55am
http://onanparts.com
I just remembered that website.   I have never bought from them but was looking as I have 4 case 448 garden tractors with bad motors. I hope to get one repowered with a 12hp diesel but it is very low on my project list.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:17am
The information below is the reply and info from CDI tech services........... Their VR is Kinda pricy so I think I will keep searching.

While we do not manufacture a replacement part designed for these
> motors; all
> > the research I could find seems to indicate this system had a 20 amp
> regulator.
> > We do manufacture a 20amp voltage regulator/rectifier for a Mercury
> Marine
> > replacement, part no. 194-5279; list price is $249.16, and it has 5
> wires. the
> > two yellow wires for connecting to the stator, two red wires for
> connecting to
> > starter solenoid ( only one is needed for most applications) second
> red wire is
> > used in some engine applications, and a grey wire for tach
> connection.
> > This might meet your needs. It is approximately two inches square
> and 1/2 inch
> > in depth and has two mount holes.
P&KPossum View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&KPossum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:04pm
Try OMC or Mustang Skid Steer Companies. They might have old/new stock.
They used this engine and setup. They have carburetor parts too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 3:06pm
Brenda at Sandy Lake has the parts available  .....  Regulator and rectifyer are seperate units.... 
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:47pm
Bought both the regulator and rectifier for mine from Onanparts.  About 90.00 each. Both have newer type connections, and come with the appropriate mates to splice to existing stator wires. Good instructions also.

HOWEVER,

( Apparently the "good used" stator I purchased and installed was not good.)  

Had a  "mechanic"  check = indicated the problem was with the regulator or rectifier, so I ordered new and installed them.  Neither solved the problem.   

Sometime in the future, will probably pull off these new parts, sell, and mount an external one wire mini alternator on my 620 as some others have done.  (Just don't think I'm smart enough to do that tho.)
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:53pm
The Onan charging system situation is confusing.
I have Simplicity and Onan wiring schematics and they conflict
in wiring, color of wires, number of wires off the stator.
I think they had a 15 amp system and a 20 amp system.
One system had two wires from stator, the other three, I suppose.

Read this link:
http://simpletractors.com/service/onan_electrics.htm
"There are 2 black and 1 red wires coming out of the stator. The 2 black wires are the AC source and the red wire controls the stator output."

So a three wire stator? That would normally be construed to be a three phase stator.
But that red wire controls stator output as he says. Now how does that work?
My guess is that the scheme feeds back into the stator to buck the magnetic flux and reduce the output.  If so, this is real clever (ahead of its time I would say).
So if people are getting their two wire stators crossed up with three wire regulators
and such, I could see stator melt down. Especially if they are forcing a fit- clipping leads and
splicing on new plugs.  My lawnmower man says the most common way to melt a stator is to mis-wire 12v to the stator coil. And that can make the stator grow and contact the magnets.

I still think if the stator is really a 2 wire, then a regulator such as off the JD318 would work.

I think the system they had as described in the link above is trouble from day two because it
is too whacky different from what the industry (Kohler and B+S) repair people were used to and they got their parts mixed up and had a meltdown. The Onan engines after the CCKB had simple two wire stators as far as I know.
If I were going to get the parts from Onanparts.com, I would get the stator, rectifier and regulator- matched set. Now you are at  100's of dollars. However, if the wiring on the machine has been goobered, new parts won't work. And since in my experience there are two many wiring schematics out there, how ya going to figure it out. I didn't see a phone number at Onanparts.com, so good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic