This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

onan genset with AC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divedigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: onan genset with AC
    Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 10:04am
I just bought a 90KW onan generator with a MK11 allis in her! It was installed in the bank building in 1975 and has 875 hrs on it. I had talked to one of the genset companys about selling but they said the old Allis engines were hard get parts for and not that faithful! I think this yonng pup aint got nothin but yellow in his viens and dont know beans from apple butter about machinery! The only Allis I have is a 125 power unit on my wood spilter from a combine I was the sacker on when I was a pup. Anyway , I would appreacite any info on what I have and what to look and check for. It has has faithful maintance but I have heard of dry stacking where they just exercised and not really brought up to a good running temp and held for a while. I would like to hook her up and put a good load for a hr or 2 just to hear the bellor! Thanks for any input and time someone may have to pass on! Thanks Divedigger By the way I have Cat heavy eq that I make my living with but I like that inline 6 Allis even if it is Onan green!
Sponsored Links

kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:54pm
What your talking about is is called wet stacking its from running with no or low loads. To test it your going to need a load bank test done to it. Thats the only way to test it.  The reason that guy said its hard to get parts for the motor is they they ordered the parts off onan thats the hard way going to a cummings dealer for allis parts.  I never had much of a problem I just went to the allis dealer and parts a easy to get.  Whats your plans with the unit 90kw ?  
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
divedigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divedigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:05pm
Right now I am not really sure. I most diffently could not use the 60KW it produces on 1 ph and I have 2 PTO winpower units  and everything takes about 15 min to be up and running but I would like to hear Ole Allis bellor. To be honest I just dont know yet, I have seen then on ebay from 5 to 10K  but I really dont know what price for 35 yr old unit.Anyway Thanks a bunch for your time to reply! Divedigger
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 9:33pm
Yea their on e-bay all the time everyone thinks they have gold.  I would say a 90kw without a load bank test is worth 3 to 6000 thats with a cooling systemand exhaust and 250 gal fuel tank and a good 3ph transfer switch. and not a onan switch that has the plug in the face with 3 to 6 cards in it. But with 800 hrs I would say its a 4000 max. 
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:47pm
If its a 90 KW, it will have the 426 cu.in 3500 MK II engine. I bought a 100KW with a 670T engine (newer version of the same engine) with 929 hrs on a trailer for $2G. I had an insider at the sewage plant.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
divedigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divedigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:46am
Well I probably done good also only I did not get a wheel kit, jusy the transfer switch for 1K. Do you have a book on yours? The maintaince personal have changed alot since it was installed, so they said they would look but dont hold my breath. I just like to have paper work with anything i own just in case. I would like to find a load bank and test it, but the Cat house seems to have the monopoly for my area. Thanks for the reply! Divedigger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic