This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oliver 1755

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oliver 1755
    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:13am
We've always ran AC tractors, and a few IH, but for some reason I find myself wanting a Oliver 1755. We don't have many Olivers at all around here, and I guess that is why I want one, to be different. I've never even ran one though. 

I guess what I'm wondering is are they any good? I know people may think I'm crazy for asking this on a AC forum, but I know if I ask on a Oliver forum the opinion would be very one sided. I'm not wanting to trade it in for my AC stuff, just wanting to branch out and ad a little more color to the shed. At least I'm keeping it in the family and it's better than JD green, I guess.
Sponsored Links

WD in Australia View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD in Australia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 2:50am
Maybe see a Doctor you may have Covid LOL
Never ran Oliver so can't help with that. Just couldn't resist as you left yourself wide open!
Cheers
WD(NF), WD45(WF), WD45D(WF), XT190D(WF), Model U, Gleaner C, All Crop 60, Rotobaler
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:32am
I ran a 1650 and it was similar to running a 190. Not quite as handy but close. Actually I ran a 1755 one day moving round bales. It was a little clumsy compared to a 190 but not bad either.

Edited by Lonn - 23 Sep 2020 at 5:34am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:36am
Engines (diesel) are famous for throwing connecting rods out thru the block.

Edited by DrAllis - 23 Sep 2020 at 6:36am
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:41am
A friend of  mine had that happen to his 1755. If I remember right
the rod came out and took the injector pump out also.

J Carlson
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:11am

1755 is a great tractor if as with all old tractors its in reasonably good mechanical condition. I have several of the later 4 digit Olivers 1600,1650,1800,1550 in both gas and diesel.
For running a round baler they can't be beat with true LPTO controlled by a handy lever right by the seat,1755 has  3 speed on the go shifting direct drive plus over and under drive the one negative is it won't hold back in under drive.I have a 185 and a 180 good tractors but to run a round baler I'll take the 1550 or 1650.Most of the negative comments you get will come from people that never owned one most likely.Also 1755
has 18 forward 6 reverse gears compared to the 8 a 190 and 185 have and I have yet to get on a 4 digit Oliver that jumped out of any gear.The one with rod trouble mostly was the turbo 1855 but most of those have been reworked years ago.
cpg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:20am
We have a 1655 and a 1755 that we farm with; our big tractors have been mostly Oliver. (used to have an 1850). Some had rod issues because of the two piece wrist pin and the rod bolts weren't a great design but the issues were worse in the bigger tractors where they added stress by turbocharging them; we rebuilt the engine in ours and did the updates and that usually makes them a good motor. Otherwise smooth and nice to run. I have heard others don't like the Oliver "two section" transmission and maybe its just from always running Olivers but I like the 6 speed and 3 speed hydra shift. The 1755 rides nice and is comfortable and easy to run. Never ran a big Allis so can't compare there but I've never been disappointed spending a day in our big Olivers either and I do think the 4 digit Olivers are some of the best looking tractors of their time and look great all painted up.

Edited by cpg - 23 Sep 2020 at 7:22am
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
Buddies dad got tired of working on the transmissions in his Internationals and switched to Olivers. I chopped and disked with their 1850. The only thing I didn't care for was no holding power in low range on the hydra shift. They had gasers and found that they needed a good quality oil that was changed regularly or they would throw rods.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:22pm
Go for it. Always nice to have something different as you said. I thought some of those Ollies had Detroit 2cycle engines in them? That would be a neat combo! 😀
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:16pm
Dad bought a new 1755 in 1970.  Sure had a lot more power as we had been using a D17 for 10 years prior.  Quite the surprise to see when I got out of the Army
The 3-sp Hydraul-Shift was great, but like others mentioned, it does not hold in Under-Drive.
One thing that really stood out was that with the hydrostatic power steering, the steering wheel never returned to the same position when making a 180 turn like discing.  Something ya had to get used to.
I suppose the valving could have been adjusted to get it closer.
Later on he traded it for a White 105.  Nice tractor too.

Edited by Gatz in NE - 23 Sep 2020 at 8:17pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:38pm
A 1755 is not in a matching horse power class to any AC at the time but anyhow the hydraulics kinda suck on all those Olivers compared to a 190 and the platform is not clutter free or as comfortable and roomy as a 190. Over all I think a 190 XT would out perform an 1855 or 1850 in most tasks but I have never did heavy work with any Oliver. The older mechanics at the AC shop I worked at never thought they were much competition at the plowing demos they used to have with the 190XT.  Baling may be the exception where those Olivers work out better but I've never have complained and for square baling I like the hand clutch of the Allis better. 

I wouldn't mind having a good 1855 or 1955 with updates. I used to think they were among the ugliest tractors built at the time just ahead of the Massey 1100 and Case 1030. I prefer the looks of the 190 and the late model Molines best but the others have grown on me..... except that the Masseys are just a bridge too far in that category.

Edited by Lonn - 23 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 9:15pm
1755 is a very nice tractor to run.Easy to get on and off. Nice roomy platform. It seems like Oliver hit the sweet spot with the 310 in that model. But without the bottom end updates they will ventilate.They aren't as handy in tight spots as a similar AC or IH. They also don't have a common fluid in everything like Hytran or 831. Different fluid and filter for every system on the tractor.

Edited by exSW - 23 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
Learning AC...slowly
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:27am
Just what I've heard. Due to the Oliver engines going to pieces a good and easy change was to a Perkins diesel as from a MF combine. No verification of details, just came to mind.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:55am
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

Just what I've heard. Due to the Oliver engines going to pieces a good and easy change was to a Perkins diesel as from a MF combine. No verification of details, just came to mind.

Not simple to swap around those Perkins 354 motors,the Oliver 1850 had the Perkins but its not an easy swap to put one out of a MF combine in an 1850.Although its a tough motor,most Oliver repowers are done with Cummins motors.All my Olivers are on their original motors BTW no rod issues.And I have seen a few AC motors with rod issues.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:13am
You can do alot to correct the AC rod issues too. 426 was the main troubled AC.

Edited by Lonn - 24 Sep 2020 at 8:14am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:48am
A 1755 is a great tractor, closed center hydraulics, tilt/telescope hydrostatic steering 18 speeds, and natural aspirated 310 Waukesha isn't as known for throwing rods as the turbocharged 1855 without oil cooler. Many of those were updated to the oil cooled block from the 1955, and added oil capacity via a larger pan or bypass filter, or both. While slightly higher in hp at 80 pto hp on early ones, updated fuel spec made it 86 pto hp, I would say the closest AC is the 190D at 77.20 pto hp. 

Edited by injpumpEd - 24 Sep 2020 at 12:57pm
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 12:21pm
As far as the Perkins swap I'm pretty sure you need the Perkins tub to do it right.
Learning AC...slowly
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:55pm
There were lots of olivers in my area.lot on dairy farms. Ask dad about it once and he said the dealer took good care of his customers. There was red ,orange and green all close by but those guys were loyal.
walnut1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walnut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:06pm
my dad bought an 1850 new because the wait was too long for a 4020 at the time. He later traded it in on a new White 2-85 with a cab, basically the same tractor. The Perkins were reliable but changing the dry clutch/throw out was a pain. We did it a couple times. Not as nimble as the two 190 Xt’s but would pull way more due to the weight. Neighbor still has an 1855 he bought back then, seems to take it apart every year.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

A 1755 is not in a matching horse power class to any AC at the time but anyhow the hydraulics kinda suck on all those Olivers compared to a 190 and the platform is not clutter free or as comfortable and roomy as a 190. Over all I think a 190 XT would out perform an 1855 or 1850 in most tasks but I have never did heavy work with any Oliver. The older mechanics at the AC shop I worked at never thought they were much competition at the plowing demos they used to have with the 190XT.  Baling may be the exception where those Olivers work out better but I've never have complained and for square baling I like the hand clutch of the Allis better. 

I wouldn't mind having a good 1855 or 1955 with updates. I used to think they were among the ugliest tractors built at the time just ahead of the Massey 1100 and Case 1030. I prefer the looks of the 190 and the late model Molines best but the others have grown on me..... except that the Masseys are just a bridge too far in that category.

I'd say the 1755 is comparable to the 190xt/200 hp wise and is around the same vintage. I have no doubt that a 190xt would out perform it in the field. About the biggest thing I pull these days is a 15' Woods cutter, and that is about all the D19 wants in heavy stuff.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:29pm
I had an 1800 C. Liked it to big round bale. Brakes were terrible. Always locking up. Motor used gallons of oil. I could not find anyone in this area to overhaul the Waukesha diesel. Hated the low side of the hydraulic shift not holding on the hills. Hydraulic pump is under the seat. It takes a engine hoist to remove the steel plate under the seat, pull the PTO shaft to remove the hyd pump. Would like to have one in better shape.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 2:42am
We had a trio of Olivers on our farm working alongside the ACs and they seemed to work well together. We had 2 770s and then a 1750. One of the 770s was actually more of a POS compared to the other 2. This was our FEL tractor and that was all that it did beside run the blower on the silo. The other 770 was the hired hand's tractor. That's all he ever used and he did all our planting, baling, and combining with that old 770. The 1750 was Grandpa's tractor when I was growing up until he passed away. A couple years after that once I was old enough, it became my tractor when I started doing field work with Dad. All those years, it worked tillage right alongside Dad with his XT, was our raking tractor all summer, and our road tractor hauling hay wagons all summer and then forage wagons in the fall for corn silage harvesting. Our 1750 had the NA 310 Waukesha diesel in it with the 3 spd Hydraul shift. Those 18 spds and 20 mph made her a far better road tractor than any AC we had. I loved running that Oliver and miss it still today. The only issue we ever had with ours was it's habit of eating a head gasket every other year no matter what we did to it. One neighbor had a couple Olivers too that went through the same thing. Another neighbor I worked for later on had a White 2-70 with the same powertrain and he never had an issue with his. The trans and rearend seemed darn near bullet proof-never touched either the 20 years while we had it-not even the clutch. Darn good tractor and it had no problem doing anything a 80hp tractor ought to be able to do.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Go for it. Always nice to have something different as you said. I thought some of those Ollies had Detroit 2cycle engines in them? That would be a neat combo! 😀

Oliver did briefly offer a Dogtriot option in the 4 digit series tractors, as well as in the largest of the previous models. nothing but noise and oil leaks. The Cummings swap is the way to go for reliability and power. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:48am
The ones with 2 cycle Jimmys were the Super 99, 990 & 995 with a 3-71. When the 1900 came out it got the 4-53, which also carried over to the 1950. When they changed to the 1950T is when they went to the 310 Turbo Waukesha. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 11:01am
We had neighbors with Oliver's.  I liked the many speeds. I hated the coasting gears. As far as the platform room (straddle the lift cylinder to the 3pt hitch under the seat) and very long hood, a mighty One-Ninety was superior by comparison. Console control was far nicer than Oliver's levers everywhere design and all suspended pedals too. Turning radius on WFronts wasn't as good as an A-C. To each his own.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 12:55pm
Massey Ferguson 165 we used to have with the "Multi Power" , in Low it coasted, in High you had hold back. Strange arrangement to me, as you had to go faster down a hill one way or another. Seems like if anything, if you were going to have only one range hold, it would be the slower of the 2.

But that was the first tractor I ever drove, so I guess it still has a place in my heart. Also the only engine that has blown to smithereens between my feet!
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:41pm
Just out of idle curiosity, what was going on inside the Oliver 3 speed, to allow it to free wheel going down hill?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm
Oliver's 2-speed (Hydra-Power) and 3-speed (Over-Under-Hydraul shift) had a sprag clutch in the lowest ratio just like old IH's and MMolines and also Massey- Multi-Power.
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:01pm
I assume this was to help with shock loads when downshifting in to under?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:10pm
I suppose it would help with that. But in the end, the original Farmall TA was like this, so everybody else followed suit, except A-C. Even the Ford  Select-a-jerk freewheeled in half the gears selections. To add another clutch instead of the sprag (over-running type clutch) would cost more  !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic