This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Farmstead Houses ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Farmstead Houses ??
    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:20pm
I've driven past multiple farm sites in the past 5 years to see the "houses" torn down yet the barns/bins/ cribs remain ?? Is there some $$$ reason for this action ? 
I'm talking about 70-100 year old farmsteads Wink. Thanks
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:27pm
Maybe tax reasons ? House is no use to them - gone it is
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:44pm
Yes, here it was because of taxes. House wasn't good enough to rent out and not sure I'd want tenants anyway. The other buildings no longer served the purpose they were built for and were magnets for trespassers and meth labs.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 7:08pm
Where I grew up, it was more the opposite.
Once the milk cows left the farm, within a few short years the buildings started to fall apart, many times the house was the only thing left. Urban sprawl swamped the area, many times leaving the huge farmhouse surrounded by ‘cookie cutter’ houses. New streets were named after the old farm families of the area.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
You only leave the house if your going to LIVE there.. Many people moved or had multiple farms and didnt need the "old house"... and saved the taxes... a BARN might come in handy for  equip  storage or ??.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
I live in an 1862 house. As farms get bigger, good houses get torn down mainly because rural tenants are usually a night mare, run grow ops, or trash the place and are hard to get evicted for non payment. Not worth the hassle so the house comes down and he saves taxes to boot.

Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:53pm
In 1978 dad built a new home across the road and they used the old one dated 1885 as storage. In the mid 90's the roof was shot and i convinced dad to either put a roof on it or it was time to tear it down. $750 later it was pushed in a hole, burned and buried.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:18pm
There is also the nightmare of improvements.  How do you run new electric thru lathe and plaster walls.  How do you get modern plumbing thru out the house.  There's an old prairie house here that still has the old two wire and insulator electric.  It's sad to see them go, but it's just more economical to tear them down.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:40am
Dad had Gramp's house that was built in 1903 all re-wired, new plumbing and new duct work installed for the new furnace they put in. there was no problem doing so, dad thought the same thing, was gonna be a hassle. the installers said it was just like doing any other house. the biggest hassle was getting them old steam registers out of the house without doing any damage...until they found out how they could come apart, then it was easy! then Dad modernized the kitchen and a few rooms. we rent it out and every one of our renters has been good renters and took care of the place, the latest one wants to buy it, and i think he'll get to when we put the farm on the market!. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:42am
oh...and the neighbors let their hired man live in their parents's house. they told me it keeps him on site and he can walk to work! lol
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:58am
Not the case with grandparents house. After they passed uncle refused to let anyone live there. Wasn't taken care of and got to where it was beyond saving. The upside was I was able to salvage the hardwood floor in the bedroom for my house to use in the new bedroom after kitchen was relocated.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

I live in an 1862 house. As farms get bigger, good houses get torn down mainly because rural tenants are usually a night mare, run grow ops, or trash the place and are hard to get evicted for non payment. Not worth the hassle so the house comes down and he saves taxes to boot.

When I was a kid dad rented land from a old WWI vet who lived in town, but he had his farm house rented out.  The renters wouldn't pay rent, he couldn't get them out, so one day he noticed they were in town at the grocery store so he drove to the farm and lit the house on fire.  Problem solved,  renters gone and he saved them the trouble of moving their belongings. LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:55am
On our family farm, once the house became uninhabitable we determined it might as well be torn down.  Did the same with an old barn.  It reduced the taxes somewhat and also eliminated the need to pick up shingles, barn siding, etc. that kept blowing off in high winds.  Had a track hoe operator dig a hole, push them in, and burn them.  Kept the old corn crib for storage in the driveway.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:03am
     We have torn down two old houses over the years; one even had poles with the bark still on for rafters. Bottom line in both cases was that it would have cost about as much to refurbish them as the cost to build new. One was just sitting on a sandstone "foundation" that was just sitting on top of the ground. Plus renters seem most of the time to be a pain.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 10:58am
Many years ago, 40 or more, the out buildings could be depreciated on taxes and the house not.  Saw a guy take a dozer and push steel grain bin right next to the barn, cement and all so didn't take much space and tax deduction.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 11:04am
Against the law to burn ANY construction materials here, maybe for you all as well,  but you WILL get caught around here, a few have tried.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Against the law to burn ANY construction materials here, maybe for you all as well,  but you WILL get caught around here, a few have tried.

Ours was torn down/burned years ago before EPA rules were enforced (I'm guessing the rules were there, just not enforced as they are now).  

Funny story...
I contacted the local fire chief (told his wife) that we were going to have a "controlled burn" and the fire department shouldn't come out if someone reported a fire south of town.  Well, she forgot to tell her husband.  Sure enough, about a half hour after we started the fire (and having a couple of beers sitting on the tailgate of my pickup truck), we hear the sirens coming.  Had to explain what was going on (and the fire chief's wife called him in the meantime) to the firemen and the deputy sheriff that showed up.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
biggest thing here for demo. is that you always get deadbeat tenants that destroy the houses and have thieving friends hanging around ---- so ya MATCH time! ---Taxes stay the same ( usually raised) here buildings or not ---- they say it looks better after you clean it up so property worth more!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:29pm
All of the above. Sometimes it could be that the parent, grandparent, etc. that grew up in the house and had an attachment to it passed away, and the kids finally tore it down? Taxes too ridiculous? I know more than a few that had meth labs in them as already mentioned.

And around here, every single farmhouse that I looked at when I was house hunting had major foundation issues.

My neighbor still has the farmhouse he grew up in standing, and it has a pretty nice metal roof on it. He lives in a manufactured house behind the farmhouse. Asked him about the roof at one point and he said his dad spent the money for the nice roof but the foundation is garbage, so he really just has to tear it down one day when he gets around to it.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 8:54pm
When dad had the old farm house torn down he left the old two car garage and it became the storage garage from that point on. About four years ago I decided it was time for it to go and I spent a week going through all the junk in it saving a few things and leaving the rest to burn. I talked to my neighbor to see if I needed to call or notify anyone and he said nope just throw a match to it. Well it had about six layers of asphalt shingles on it and you could see the smoke from 15 miles away and yes a tank truck came from one direction and a pumper truck came from another along with the sheriffs department and about a dozen onlookers. Only thing I said was please do not put it out.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:12pm
In my case, the home I grew up in burnt. Tornado took the big old barn. All the rest of the buildings were left. Mom and dad moved into a little old house in a little old town. After dad passed, mom had the bins torn down and the rest of the buildings pushed into a pile and burnt, then burried. She had the old slab rock basement filled in. The only thing left is the machine shed dad put up in the late 70's. If it was screwed together, I'd tear it down and move it here. I'd like to build a new house there, Unfortunately its too far away for us to move there and do the stuff we do with her business.
Phil Stier View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Stier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:31pm
Many of the old farmsteads the well or the septic has failed and for rental it doesn’t pay to replace
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:44pm
around here you can donate an old building or house for fire dept training, the owner just has to pay for insurance for them on that site which isn't much. it's good training for them.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:48pm
Here in Michigan as T-bone said lighting a fire is a no go unless you have a burning permit from local fire department or there is snow on the ground. I had a burn pile this winter when we had snow. Called the local fire chief and told him I was going to burn and would notify 911 not to send fire trucks unless I called. Fire Chief thanked me as most people just burn away and have to pay $750 plus per hour charge as we have no fire department tax! I told him I didn't want to meet new and interesting people! Yes around here old farm houses and barns no longer meet peoples expectations!

Edited by klinemar - 28 Mar 2021 at 1:50pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

When dad had the old farm house torn down he left the old two car garage and it became the storage garage from that point on. About four years ago I decided it was time for it to go and I spent a week going through all the junk in it saving a few things and leaving the rest to burn. I talked to my neighbor to see if I needed to call or notify anyone and he said nope just throw a match to it. Well it had about six layers of asphalt shingles on it and you could see the smoke from 15 miles away and yes a tank truck came from one direction and a pumper truck came from another along with the sheriffs department and about a dozen onlookers. Only thing I said was please do not put it out.
Well, what's the rest of the story LOLWink ?? Did they put it out and how much $$ was required Wink ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:32pm
IF as here and part of the Rural VFD fee payers NADA as to $$$$, and Yes they do not mind throwing water in a training exercise. I was a Volunteer for close to fifteen years in St Charles County.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:36pm
Ask Insurers of OLD Farm Houses, especially the Two Story units, most were built as On stick Lumber from First Floor to Roof then the Second Floor added inside the 'dried in' building.  That promotes Fire SPREAD as the exterior walls lacking much for insulation act as chimneys where SPEED the fire growth on small excursion fires, 99% never had electricity when built and as a add on is a fire ready for event.  MOST small contractors will wave off rehabbing old farm homes and barns as is darn near as expensive to bring up to any insurable code as to tear it all down and start over. 
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:55pm
The farm house my parents still live in is dated early 1700’s. Logs were hand cut and some of them were in another structure prior to that house. Originally each room had a chimney and some were just sitting on the floor without a footer. The house is small and was added on to around the late 1800’s. Logs have hardened to a point that can’t be cut any more. They had a fire in the newest chimney in 2000 and the fire company tried to use a chainsaw down the walls, they tried several locations and did not manage more than an inch in any log. Floors are planks up to 2ft wide of pumpkin pine. There is a well on the farm that was apparently one of the first hand dug according to the historians. It would have been a community well prior to any houses. It still flows water to this day and was only dredged when a few historians came out for verification (they had a map of all the first wells on the east coast apparently). There are plenty of old homes in the area that have been preserved, government even gives money if you stay within their guidelines.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
The current price of a rural home and a few acres around here has more than one landowner wondering why he burnt and buried the homestead to plant corn. There is so much demand that people knock on doors wanting to buy. I am thinking about putting a NOT FOR SALE sign in the yard,LOL
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 6:16pm
Very interesting as Ive never heard of a log that couldnt be cut because of age , unless it was some type of special  oak , or petriffied -

Edited by DougG - 28 Mar 2021 at 6:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic