This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OK, if you aint pushing 50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK, if you aint pushing 50
    Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:21pm
don't bother yourself with this one! LOL

the group "America" did a song "A horse with no name"

who can do a line by line translation of that song?

This is what happens when I get too much windshield time....I think of stuff like this.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:31pm
"A horse with no name"

One of my all time favorites.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 6:40pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:19pm
@LouSWPA; Ya see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain. In the desert, no one remembers your name for there ain't no one for to give you no pain. La la la la la la. La la la.
I really prefer "Sister Golden Hair".
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

@LouSWPA; Ya see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain. In the desert, no one remembers your name for there ain't no one for to give you no pain. La la la la la la. La la la.
I really prefer "Sister Golden Hair".

Another request?

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:36pm
Must be getting early
Clocks are running late
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:31pm
One thing for sure....the good tunes come from the past,not the now. Todays crap is crap!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:42am
All in perspective I guess. Each age group has their own. I remember the shock from my accountant's kids when Hotel California was re released on CD. They kinda liked the music but really flipped when she showed the "CD" she bought from the first release. They stunned at the size.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:16am
Lyrics
On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot, and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound
I've been through the desert
On a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert, you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
After two days in the desert sun
My skin began to turn red
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:36am
I was told it was a description of a heroine trip.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:44am
I read an article once that said the author was the son of a military man. The kid and brother did a lot of travel to distant places with dad. Lots of time on their own. Lots of time " lost" wondering around ... Suppose to be the story of his life..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 8:55am
Went to see them at a concert in Singapore, mid 90's, still had the smooth as silk harmonies. Impressive in a large auditorium for sure.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I read an article once that said the author was the son of a military man. The kid and brother did a lot of travel to distant places with dad. Lots of time on their own. Lots of time " lost" wondering around ... Suppose to be the story of his life..

Actually, the group's three original members... all Americans, met in London- all sons of USAF servicemembers.

Given time, pen, and paper, I could write out lyrics to probably ALL of their major, and not-so-major hits, as I've sung lead or backing vocals on all of 'em in groups over the last 35 years.  Ventura Highway is seeming always the first when the acoustic guitars come out.

In continuation of the "new crap"... my daughter has 'new crap' tendancies, but was raving about a song from the soundtrack of one of her favorite movies... she was entirely shocked last night, when I started singing the doubling and backing harmonies of the song "Fascinating New Thing" by Semisonic... as if it was some alien-time-warp...

She was heartbroken to find out that when I was in college, my group shared a stage with the Minneapolis band Trip Shakespeare, and that Dan Wilson was a friend of mine. I guess I ruined the 'cool factor', by telling her that Dan is seven years OLDER than me, and although what hair he has is well grey, he can still out-rock the kids who build rap from loops.

On the other hand, my son found my LP collection, and discovered the music volume of my file server many, many years ago.  His opinion, is that writing and performance talent is very rare in modern music... and it doesn't take a very deep look to support that... ANY ONE track from Tower of Power proves it...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 12:20pm
@DiyDave; Maybe you should change your handle to "DJ Dave". LOL.
 @LouSWPA; I would wager that there are a LOT of lyrics to songs that describe experiences' under the influence.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Actually, the group's three original members... all Americans, met in London- all sons of USAF servicemembers.

Given time, pen, and paper, I could write out lyrics to probably ALL of their major, and not-so-major hits, as I've sung lead or backing vocals on all of 'em in groups over the last 35 years.  Ventura Highway is seeming always the first when the acoustic guitars come out.

In continuation of the "new crap"... my daughter has 'new crap' tendancies, but was raving about a song from the soundtrack of one of her favorite movies... she was entirely shocked last night, when I started singing the doubling and backing harmonies of the song "Fascinating New Thing" by Semisonic... as if it was some alien-time-warp...

She was heartbroken to find out that when I was in college, my group shared a stage with the Minneapolis band Trip Shakespeare, and that Dan Wilson was a friend of mine. I guess I ruined the 'cool factor', by telling her that Dan is seven years OLDER than me, and although what hair he has is well grey, he can still out-rock the kids who build rap from loops.

On the other hand, my son found my LP collection, and discovered the music volume of my file server many, many years ago.  His opinion, is that writing and performance talent is very rare in modern music... and it doesn't take a very deep look to support that... ANY ONE track from Tower of Power proves it...

Another request?

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:27pm
I done pushed right on past 50 over 20 years ago. And still sing along with that tune when I hear it. Where the heck did those 20+ years dissapear to. Oh well it must be the old gals fault.
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:15am
My opinion has always been that the lyrics to America's songs were chosen to rhyme and sound cool and have no meaning beyond that.  This particularly applies to "Horse with no name" and "Hotel California".
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 6:27pm
I think what he wants is a translation of the meaning, not the lyrics. I am not pushing 50 but I do like that song, it is one of those ambiguous songs that is up to the listener to decide. I agree with RMD that America is also known for writing stuff that rhymes but has no meaning otherwise.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:08pm
Maybe it is about a heroin trip. I never put that together but horse is slang for heroin (I think). It is a little more ambiguous than Velvet Underground's "Heroin".
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:25pm
Was written while the writer was high on pot (what else is new?)...

Not about heroin, just looking at salvador Dali paintings, and other things...Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic