This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil temperature vs water temp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil temperature vs water temp
    Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 6:35am
I have a question regarding engine oil temp compared to water temp on my HD16.  What should the temperature difference be between the two?  When the engine is cold the oil pressure is great, about 55-60 lbs, after warming up im only maintaining about 35-40 lbs which is borderline low.  I feel like the oil is getting too hot. 

When running in cold weather, teh water temp struggles to reach 130-140 degrees which i thinnk is too low im going to have to check if i haver a thermostat stuck open, but the oil filter housings and oil cooler feel alot hotter.  I have previously removed the oil cooler but did not really find anything to indicate poor heat exchange. 

any suggestions?  what should the temp difference be?  this is gear drive tractor so no torque converter cooler
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:03am
Cal

FWIW

The book on our Forty five grader gives most efficient operating range as 160 - 185.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 4:35am
Just due to friction and pressure engine oil can get to 240-260 degrees F 115-126 C, cooling only is designed to keep it around there and to keep cooler oil fed to a turbocharger.  Most likely you are not seeing a heated oil issue more than internal engine wear, when tolerances open up the oil pump relief can pretty well compensate during cold operation but not so much so when the engine does reach operating temps, the valve just goes closed and the wear drops the oil pressure.  Combination of gear wear in oil pump, cam bearings, main and rod bearings, rocker shaft wear, all add up to line loss.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 6:50am
I agree, my pressure problem is most likely a tolerance issue.  I had low oil pressure issues because of a blown gasket between the oil pump and the block, but have since repaired the leak and installed new rod and main bearings. I did not install cam bearings.   My service manual doesnt list temperature ranges for the engine oil and i always felt it is much hotter than the water side. it does suggest inspection and cleaning of oil cooler to prevent high oil temps, but again, what that is i dont know.   i guess im just a worry wort.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 7:34am
If you get much more than 250 degrees, you are gonna scorch the oil.  I would suggest you buy a cheap IR thermometer, and start checking different spots on the motor, to see the actual temps you are guessing at now.  HF has the IR thermometers from $29.99, saw one at lowe's for $35.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:56pm
What thickness of oil are you using in your HD16?
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 4:59am
cenex superlube TMS 15-40

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 6:13am
I don't know what the OP specs are supposed to be in an HD16, but its a fact as engine oil gets hotter, it thins out. Add in engine wear on the mains & the oil pump system, and OP drops even more. To me, 35-40 lbs of OP doesn't sound bad after the engine is up to temp, but as I mentioned, I don't know what the spec's are. If it holds rock solid at 35-40 lbs, and the engine is quiet, I wouldn't worry bout' it. We have a few pieces of heavy equipment here at work that have quite a few hours on em' and they run around the same in OP. As D Miller said, its a matter of wear....
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I don't know what the OP specs are supposed to be in an HD16, but its a fact as engine oil gets hotter, it thins out. Add in engine wear on the mains & the oil pump system, and OP drops even more. To me, 35-40 lbs of OP doesn't sound bad after the engine is up to temp, but as I mentioned, I don't know what the spec's are. If it holds rock solid at 35-40 lbs, and the engine is quiet, I wouldn't worry bout' it. We have a few pieces of heavy equipment here at work that have quite a few hours on em' and they run around the same in OP. As D Miller said, its a matter of wear....

but its a fact as engine oil gets hotter, it thins out.

not true it may flow better out of the base plug
when it hot but it not thinner

if a motor oil passes the cold temperature or
W (winter grade) specification for a SAE 15W
and at 210° F (100° C) flows through the viscometer
like a SAE 40 motor oil, then the label will read
15W-40. Get the picture? Consequently, if the motor
oil performs like a SAE 5 motor oil on the reduced
temperature scale and flows like a SAE 20 at 210° F
(100° C), then this motor oil's label will read 5W-20.
And so forth and so on!

say that they wouldn't use a 5W-30 motor oil because it is,

"Too thin." Then they may use a 10W-30 or SAE 30 motor oil.

At engine operating temperatures these oils are the same.

The only time the 5W-30 oil is "thin" is at cold start up

conditions where you need it to be "thin."

So how do they get a motor oil to flow in the cold

when it is a thicker viscosity at 210° F?
The addition of Pour Point Depressant additives (VI) keep the paraffin in petroleum base oils from coalescing together when temperature drops. Pour Point Depressants can keep an oil fluid in extreme cold temperatures, such as in the arctic regions. 

To me, anything over 15- lbs of OP doesn't sound bad

after the engine is up to temp we would all like to see 

more up to 65 lbs  but the engine will get all the lube

it need at 15 lbs 

IMHO     B:-)      Dnoym

Hoss View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:38pm
May not apply to this situation,  but i have seen GM specs of oil temp. at 20 degrees higher than coolant temp.  as DIYDave said get a cheap ir gun and see for yourself,  temp. can be deceiving to the touch.
I got both ends meetin in the middle but I can't seem to get em tied.
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:24am
i've never heard of many diesel engines that require high levels of op when hot. 35-40 hot sounds like plenty of op to me and having 60 or so when cold, nothing sounds out of line to me. what does the manufactures specs say?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 4:02pm
While talking to a guy that builds auto racing engines he told me that you need 5 lbs. (minimum) of oil pressure for every 500 rpm of engine speed. I don't know if the principle holds for big diesels but maybe...... . I've had Detroit Diesels for over 30 years and the general talk for DD's is that if you maintain 30 psi oil pressure at fully governed speed you won't have any trouble caused by lack of oil pressure. Most of mine have had higher than 30 psi but the ones in the 30 range have never caused me any trouble. I run straight SAE 40 W oil and that certainly helps keep the pressure up.    
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 4:42pm
855 Cummins engines have clocked over 20,000 hours in trucks with pressure down around 30 pound for the last 10,000 or so trouble free. At 30 pound the flow or volume of oil is still keeping the crank and heavily loaded cam happy in those pressure/time engines
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 6:32pm
i dont have my manual handy but i believe it stated 35-50 psi at rated eng speed.
  i also run some lucas oil stabilizer.  I spent too much on that engine to develop any problems i just wanted to be sure.   it is one of those NLA parts engine lol. I havnt run the machine since this post to check my temp differences, maby this weekend.

thanks for all the input.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic