This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Color -do I get the boot or advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Color -do I get the boot or advice?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 6:34pm
I will be the first to turn traitor here. How about a John Deere 318?
Distant neighbor has new toy fever and is offering me his JD 318.
What do you think, what to look for?
Is the hydrostat in that any good?
Does it have a 2 or 3 speed gear box (like my A/C 720 has a 3 range)?
Sponsored Links

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013 at 11:30pm
Although I occasionally run a weed green, I would not own one.  I will say it is a little powerhouse of a oversized garden tractor, I love the hydrostatic tranny.  If you like it, go for it. 

I feel like a disappointment at times too, I have a Snapper 1855 GT.  I would trade it for an allis in a heart beat, but they are pretty far and few between round here.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:48am
Talk about Traitor. I have a Honda "HT" series Garden Tractor. The thing runs like a swiss watch, and goes like heck with that 2 cylinder coolant cooled engine in it. It sure is a lightwieght tho compared to the two AC machines. My 716H wieghs in at 806 lbs respectively without any attachments and sure is a bit to push even with the Hydro disengaged. Install the wieght box and dozer blade and there's a task to push it! The Honda I can push around like nothin'. I've experimented with both machines to pull my finish mower, and the 716H you don't know that mower is out back, but with the Honda, you know its there, but it has plenty of power to pull it!  Not sayin' the 716 is any slouch wit' that modified one lung Kohler! That Kohler loves fuel tho. That's why I just use it for snow plowin'...  LOL!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:27am
I bought the 318 with all the attachments. Pickup this weekend.
I don't know what to think about Honda stopping
import of the ride on mowers. By brother has one
1982. Just this year it malfunctioned, starter.
He keeps it stored outside under a tarp.
Yours must be nice and smooth with a 2cyl water cooled.
mtanut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:56am
I have a JD 316 and have been real happy with it. It's heavy, but does an excellent job cutting. You just need to go through and set the deck up to the book and it should work well.
I have a 185 Allis, 6060 Allis, Model K gleaner, SMTA ferg 35, ferg 20 (paps first tractor, Allis B (wife's)John Deere 240 skid loader and a bunch of the usual farm stuff.
Mark/Ks View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark/Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:21pm
JD 318 is a Damn Good Machine!!!,, Very Well Built.   The frame on the 318 is about as stout as my 04 F150. Driveshaft, Hydrostat drive. Only weak link would be the Onan they used. There are several places that offer repower engines for the 318. I pretty much retired my CA with the 5ft Woods and now mow strictly with the JD.

Still Love my Allis, but some JD machines are simply Great!!!
Jon NW Iowa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon NW Iowa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:43pm
I have a collection of garden tractors and the deere 420 repowered with a briggs twin is a mowing machine. The only one that out mowes it is the Kubota BX (orange) The 318 was the older version of the 420 and are the best that deere had ever made.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 9:18am
The first L&G I bought is my JD210 I got from my great aunt and her husband. It is the same vintage as the 318. They are well built, heavy machines. IMHO, any Allis will mow better, however, the JD with the front blade or snowblower is one working beast. I have also pulled many tree limbs/trunks with the JD that I wouldn't even dream of hooking up to with the 608. Side by side, the 210 looks just as much of a brute as the B110 does. I, for one, shall forgive you-LOL.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Ethan Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 6:11pm
I will never buy a John Deere and if I do it will be so I don't get my Allis dirty.Big smile 
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 7:23am
I've got two.  A 1977 214 and a 2000 GT235.  The 214 has the Kohler 14hp witha 47" deck and variable speed.  Gives a fine cut but cuts slow.  The GT235 has the B&S 18hp twin with a 48" deck and it also gives a fine cut but at twice the speed and is a hydro.  Love them both.  Also have a Husky 26hp twin Kohler with 48"deck, hydro.  Biggest POS as far as usability and ease of use.  Reverse is too slow. Cuts good. 
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 1:12pm
I had a JD 318 for many years.  Never had any problems with it.  Had a 50" deck and 54" front snowblade.  I would put about 300# of weight on the back-end in the wintertime and put chains on the tires.  I could pile snow over 5' tall with it.  It had plenty of power and the hydrostatic drive was very dependable.

I've got a JD 445 now and like it just as well.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 9:33pm
It has the two hyd function snowplow, mower deck, rear blade, York-Modern landscape rake, and biggest steel utility cart JD makes. Ag tires.  Good shape, works good. Wiring a little screwy.
So I need chains to plow snow?

Can this thing pull the 12" Briinly 3pt plow (with gage wheels).
Do those work OK, I met a  man who told be they don't set
still, hopping in and out of the soil. To me that sounds like
poor setup, the plow has to work, no? And I see a Youtube video of it working well.
I don't have that plow, but If I came acros one cheap...  You can
buy them new from John Deere. I have light soil. Would I need to
add wheel weights? Or just load the tires.

Anyway, at what point do family members stage an intervention
to address your PED (Power Equipment Disorder)?

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:46am
The 318 was one of JD's best ever sellers. Power steering was probably the biggest reason.  I agree with the Onan engine being a "weak link", not because it was problematic, but because overhaul parts are expensive.
For all things JD garden tractor check out www.weekendfreedommachines.com
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:32pm
I have an 89 I got for $100. It had the holes for the starter ripped out of the left jug. Got a used block off ebay cheap. Got it together and worked fine for several years. It was always hard on starters, didn't mesh good, no shimming to it, so I got another used flywheel and starter. It's better but now I think the pickup on the crank is bad (behind the flywheel) stalls after about 15 minutes of running. It cuts pretty well and I like the hydrostatic. Only thing is that it's uses as much fuel to mow about 2 acres as my WD uses to mow 10 acres.

It's ok. Better than the 212 that imploded on itself.
Ready to move on. It was cheap, repowering it would be great but to me it's not cost effective. The Onan is junk as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by fixer1958 - 05 Nov 2013 at 7:32pm
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 5:03am
The Brinly plows work great. I've got 2 of them, a 10" and a 12". I pull them with my White 1655 (16hp, hydro). The 10" pulls nice. The 12" requires weight on front to keep it from pulling you sideways. I was surprised at how well they cut sod.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
kjseil View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjseil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 10:01pm
have 10" that works well not had any experience with a 12"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic