This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Brand diesel fuel problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Brand diesel fuel problem
    Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 2:32pm
I have a backhoe I use on the farm and its giving me fits, I thought I would throw this out to see if someone could help me. It's a Case 580K and I run it for about 40 minutes and then it starts acting like it wants to die, and it has died before and is hard to start after that. If I walk off and do something else for a while and come back it will run again for about that long then the same thing. Fuel filters were change 100 hrs ago. If you fellas have any ideas. Thanks, Kevin.
Sponsored Links

Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 3:36pm
I have seen this happen before and both times there was something in the tank, or lines that took X amount of minutes to work itself closed, shutting the fuel off, after the engine dies the suction pressure is gone the abstruction moves letting fuel flow again . Had this happen on a 1494 Case did it for years till my uncle finally dumped it, after alot of parts changing etc it turned out to be a piece of plastic stuck in the fuel delivery line acting like a valve when suction was applied it closed off, take the suction away it would let fuel flow. Was much worse when the tractor was low on fuel. Had a another tractor doing the same thing and there was something floating in the tank that would get sucked over the inlet, release the suction and it would float again. Just my expierence, but take off the lines on the tank and blow it backwards see if anything comes out, empty the tank and see if there is anything inside it. That would be the least expensive thing to try, it could also be in the fuel injector pump something going wrong internally.
ianoz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 3:40pm
 Also check the banjo fitting , Some have filters inside them .
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:36pm
  Also check the fuel cap vent for spider webs or dirt. Or if you tee a vacuum gauge into the fuel feed line from the tank, if you get any significant vacuum reading, then you have the plugged tank screen or cap.   On bad fuel, I did once have a customer come  in here with a Powerstroke that had 20 gallons of kerosene/water mix in the tank. It ran, but barely. The gas station denied any problem, but mysteriously shut down for 2 days....
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:55pm
Our CASE 530 hoe sat for several years and the tank got rusty inside. Tried to clean, but eventually i took off the line on the bottom, put a TEE with a sediment  collecting tube pointing down, and ran a line off the side of the TEE into a filter and from there to the carb.. Since yours runs for some time, im  wondering if it is really fuel related or could by tight valve clearance, etc ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:58pm
I had a 401C John Deere that would do that. We finally found a shinny metal cap from a fuel additive floating in the tank. When the fuel level would go down the suction would suck the cap into the outlet and stop the tractor. After it floated free it would start again. The HD3 did that for a time also. We found a rag in the tank.
KD in SE Ks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 5:43am
Thanks for the response guys. Lots of ideas I hadn't thought of.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 7:35am
I don't know what pump is on a case but I had a 450 JD many years ago with these symtoms and turned out to be a seal going out in injection pump, a peice would come off and get stuck in a check valve in return line. JD shop forman said this happed sometimes told me to use toothpick to clean. Did that for several months till I traded machine
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:35am
sounds to me like the common broken flex ring in a Roosa Master DB pump. Is that what this has? Case engine? Take timing cover off pump (rectangular plate on side of pump) to bleed the excess housing pressure. If it continues to run with cover loose, then time for pump work. good luck, Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:59am
That should have a CAV pump depending on the year, There is a liitle automotive style inline fuel filter at the bottom of the tank , by a small shut off valve in the line,  Id check this. It could be  your problem, you just about have to lay on your back under the step to see it , it is up by the bottom of the  frame rail. This is if you havent already replaced it.  It often gets over looked.
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:01am

580K would be a cummins, Later K's may have a bosch rotarty pump on them

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 6:37pm
Thanks again, I think its an 1989 model. When I get a break I'm going to take it loose on the bottom of the tank.
tractorchuckie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorchuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 7:56pm
when it starts to do it get the hose and wash down the fuel pump with cold water. if it runs better the injector pump barrels are worn and need rebuilt the fuel today doesn't have the lubricanting capability of the older fuel. the cold water tightens up the tolerance in the pump. an quick and easy test.
still looking for the holy grail of Allis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:35am
UPDATE: I drained the fuel, replaced the hose to the fuelpump and the thing that I think was the main problem, I pulled an inline fuel filter that was plugged so bad I couldn't blow through it. Cross my fingers, I ran it 2 hours taking some trees down and ran like a top. Thanks again for the help! Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic