This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number 3 sickle mower

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number 3 sickle mower
    Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:42pm
I tried mounting it on the WD-45 today, think i got it figured out, but not sure, look at the pics and see if its right, also, what i the procedure on operating the mower, where to put the lift arms on tractor, the cylinder on the mower, and so on. and how do you get the lift arms to stop lifting, even in the off position they lift slowly, i've played with the linkage too, any help appreciated.

Thanks, Carl

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 06 Jul 2010 at 8:46pm
Sponsored Links

R Aiken View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Aiken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:57pm
With the old style hitch for the WD and #3 mower, I bolted it to the drawbar. That kept the mower at the right hight and the lift arms stayed put.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 8:58pm
Carl...That is one good looking #3.  I am thinking that you need the drawbar on.  Also might there be two straps that go from the hitch bail to the rams to act as a stop?  Others may be more familiar.....Dale 

Orangereborn
Dale Schafer

964  192nd Ave

New Richmond, WI 54017

715-247-3079

715-781-2055

Orangereborn@hotmail.com

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:52pm
You need to put the draw bar back on Pin the Bail in the lowest hole.One bolt goes throught the bottom of the U in to the drawbar. the lift arms will then be fixed full up. a lift cylinder is used to raise and lower the cutting bar.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 10:03pm
 All above are correct. bolt mount to drawbar & add cylinder to lift cutter bar. Had a mower just like that for 10 yrs or so...Harvey
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:46am

Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:47am
This is on a D17,Wd45 mounts same way.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:53am
ok, so do i even need them other arms? The way it looks, you have to manualy lift the sickle, is there a way to fix that?

Thanks, Carl
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:05am

Yes the other arms serve to stiffen the whole hitch assy.    You need to put a remote cylinder on the mower to lift it hydralicly.  The cylinder goes on where you have the come a long hooked  and to the other bracket at the front of the frame,  look at BopH's picture-it shows the front of the cylinder. They are kind of a shaker but do work fine, dont run it much over 1/2 throttle.   Good luck.

BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:36am
I never used the other brackets,just bolted 3 points,drawbar and 2 lift arms.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 11:00am

I got it mounted, took me for ever, i ended up unbolting the U from the frame, put that on first, then backed up and bolted the rest together, what a pain.. I'm going to get a cylinder from fleet farm. but i was wondering if i could make something to lift the sickle up, rather then getting off the tractor to lift it up everytime.

BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 11:11am
DON"T use a low pressure cyl.on high pressure system,it could explode,BTDT!!!
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 12:04pm
Carl,  Listen closely to the advice given above.  It is accurate.  You do need a remote ram to do the lifting of the mower.
Looks to be in very good shape.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 12:48pm
the one at fleet farm says 2500psi on it(2"x8"), whats a WD-45 run for pressure

here is the same one fleet farm has

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 07 Jul 2010 at 12:54pm
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 12:53pm
a wd45 good pump should be around 3500psi.  
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 12:55pm
As high as 4500#,nuther pic.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:07pm
ok, so what do i need to run for a ram? Where to buy, just JD dealer or something like that. and does anyone know the pitman arm length. and what does the spring below the ram do?  sorry for all the questions.

Carl

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 07 Jul 2010 at 4:08pm
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:16pm
Get a cyl.at auction or someone on this site.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 4:16pm
Somebody ask Jim Danforth how many of those 2x8 2500psi cylinders he has sold for AC high pressure systems and how many have complained about blowing them up. First answer is probably quite a few and second answer is probably none. That 2500 rating is way below what the cylinders are tested at.
 And you can get over 9,000 psi out of a WD45 hydraulic pump if you want. Just ask me how I know. I have a 5,000 gauge that don't work anymore.  Charlie

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 07 Jul 2010 at 4:25pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 7:16pm
Charlie, Don't do that to a WD-CA-D-10 hyd pump.  WE had a few cyls that blew on a front end loader.  Getting an oil shower is not too much fun.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:52pm
Carl, I have that same mower.   I have a hyd. cylinder for it, but it's not for sale.  I can send you some pics so you know what it looks like.  I also have the pitman arm off of it and in the garage.  If you want, I can email you some pictures and dimensions.   I have never gotten mine all back together.  I have the mounts for a WD, and for a b/c.    I did put a new tire on it, but I never got the sickle and everything else finished and mounted.  How high will the cylinder lift the sickle bar on these?  I have an 80R also and that one will lift it up a couple feet, but you still have to lift it up and use the transport rod to get it vertical.   I was wondering if this was the same way.   I know with the pitman arm you couldn't use it all the way up.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 9:59pm
i dont know how far it will lift up. everything is new to me. if you could, send some pics of the ram. some dimensions of the arm would be nice too. and the length of the pitman.

Thanks, Carl

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 07 Jul 2010 at 9:59pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 5:58pm
i think your numbers are wrong, went to JD dealer today to look at rams, the biggest one in there cataloge was 3,000 psi, the kid at the counter told me that a JD 4640 runs 2200 psi, i think you numbers are wrong..there is no way a WD-45 can run 4500 psi
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 6:09pm
I used a low pressure cyl.with my WD45 and blew the ends off 2 7/16 bolts of the 4 that held the cyl together,they were not rusted!!Travel at YOUR OWN RISK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:14pm
Carl, When the WD Allis came out they had a high pressure low volume hydraulic system. It could easily run 3500 psi. I know I blew up a 5000 pound hydraulic gauge after a guy rebuilt my pump and put an improperly machined relief spool in it. It bypassed at over 9000 psi before I tore it down and fixed it. Allis Chalmers used the same system till the D17 Series IV came out. John Deere never had a high pressure system in any of their tractors so why would you go to a Deere dealer looking for Allis parts? If you still have trouble believing this, you need to do a little research on Allis Chalmers hydraulic systems from the the late 40's to the  early 60's, Charlie

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Jul 2010 at 8:17pm
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:19pm
Whats to believe??? I've got a gauge on the remote of my CA and it pressures out at 3500 dead on everytime I lift the lever. Its a real deal man. Same pump on the WD's . With out a doubt an improper set relief and pressure could easily shoot to whatever the weakest link in the system is. Big JD ain't got nothin to do with how much pressure  their system runs at. Now pressure and volume.....thats another matter.

Edited by wkpoor - 08 Jul 2010 at 8:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:34pm
sorry everyone. i didnt relize they were high pressure low volume pumps. figured you were right, you abviously know more than i do, now, where can i get a ram to support that kind of pressure, or do i have to find a orginal one, i need three of them, two mowers and one plow. 8 inch stroke correct
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 1:21am
Carl....I have the correct cylinder you need for the WD, that mower and Hi pressure....Dale

Orangereborn
Dale Schafer

964  192nd Ave

New Richmond, WI 54017

715-247-3079

715-781-2055

Orangereborn@hotmail.com

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 1:12pm
Carl, you can get by with one cylinder if you aren't switching implements daily. Pull 2 pins and take to the implement you are hooking up to.
pumpkin man View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 8:48pm
   Carl  the wood pitman blank is avalable from tractor supply stock number 1206405       tractorsupply.com           phone 1-877-817-6750
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic