This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Notre Dame......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Notre Dame......
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:49pm
Sad day in Paris. If you never had s chance to see Notre Dame, you missed an increbile piece of architecture. Be interesting to watch how quickly they’ll rebuild (our lifetime?”) And back to it’s grandeur.....
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:54pm
Very sad indeed. I hope they can salvage some original structure and decor and that they rebuild to as near original as possible.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:13pm
Yes, it's a shame but was bound to happen.
I've never understood why structures like that get to 'bypass' firecodes meanwhile regular places have to have sprinkers,fire alarm systems, etc.
I've seen small businesses up here go broke trying to comply with local building codes. If you want to add a plug , you need permits, inspections and the ENTIRE building has to be updated to meet current codes. AT least ND has the entire RC community to chip in.
At least NO one got hurt !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:15pm
Problem is... They were struggling to find the money to do the repairs thzat were in progress. 
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:17pm
800 years old and took 200 years to build............. REBUILD ?  That will be some project.
Very SAD ..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:39am
As far as I see it, it is done for. Their finances are really bad over there... and so much other stuff going on that it probably be faster to knock it to the ground and be done... unless the people pull together and bring faith back into the church that they can do it and get it done... but where are the old craftsman... now it will only be modern architect at work. jmo
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:48am
Dad gum that's bad. 30 + years ago we took a trip to Montreal.   One of the things be saw was their cathedral.   They had just had a fire in it. Not nearly as bad as that. I think the guys said it would be 2 + years working on it. Ill bet the vatican will help these folks out.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:02am
I too think it's done for.  There is no money, no commitment for stuff like that anymore.  It is sad, what a beautiful cathedral.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:25am
One billionaire already pledged 113 million towards a rebuild.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:59am
just heard 400 mil pledged so far and just starting. they'll get er rebuilt. so sad. they did recover a lot of artifacts from inside. 

Edited by trace - 16 Apr 2019 at 7:59am
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:21am
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

but where are the old craftsman... now it will only be modern architect at work. jmo

That’s my biggest concern.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:30am
i am sure they will try to replicate original design and period craftsmanship. wouldn't be the same otherwise.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:36am

ALLAH EST GRAND’: Muslims laugh as blaze destroys Notre Dame cathedral during Holy Week

By Kyle Olson, The American Mirror, April 15, 2018:

A whole lot of people with Arab [Muslim] names are finding the historic Notre Dame ablaze very funny.

Twitter user Damien Rieu posted a video showing the amount of people responding to a video of the Paris church with a “laughing” face emoji.

If France faces an Islamic future, a Russian author has already written about it. The novel is called "The Mosque of Notre Dame, 2048,"

Paris population is already 10% Muzzie and growing much faster than any other.

Wonder if they had Muzzie workers doing the renovation.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:36am
This time money will flow in from all over the world and will be hard for them to spend it all. I say a year to assess and shore up what is left and then 5 years from then it will be finished. Optimistic maybe but we will see.

Hey, has anyone heard if Quasimodo is OK?
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:22am
“A whole lot of people with Arab [Muslim] names are finding the historic Notre Dame ablaze very funny.”

Are they the same ones who allegedly were dancing in the streets in New Jersey on 9/11?   You know, the ones for which no evidence was ever found?
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

but where are the old craftsman... now it will only be modern architect at work. jmo

That’s my biggest concern.
I agree.  Money will (and already is) flow from donors world-wide.  Getting the stone masons, the carpenters, sculptors, etc will be another story.  Plus, I read some of the framing was made from old growth oak that was harvested 4-5oo years ago!
May be a glimmer of hope in that there are craftsman throughout Europe that help maintain and restore these structures.  There is really nothing like these buildings in the U.S.  Incredible when you stand outside or inside and look.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

“A whole lot of people with Arab [Muslim] names are finding the historic Notre Dame ablaze very funny.”

Are they the same ones who allegedly were dancing in the streets in New Jersey on 9/11?   You know, the ones for which no evidence was ever found?

A sampling of the Facebook users taking delight in the tragedy…see if you notice anything in common:

• Wahid Hadji
  • Oubbad Jsk
  • Yusuf Mohammedzai
  • Hessam Massa
  • Mohamed Hiadi
  • Mohamed Bensalem
  • Alaa Atfeh
  • Raidh Khaled
  • Ammar Sofiane
  • Abdelhakim Noui Oua
  • Mohamed Amin
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:27pm
News has come out the lower areas of the building seem to have minimal damage, dropping embers and debris from the burning roof, fire department seems to have kept that to a minimum, Organ survived with minimal damage too. Mostly the Roof structure, building acted as a Hearth feeding air under the fire and feeding it fresh O2 where 850 years of drying out turned it to quick burning material.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:48pm
The oak used in it would be old growth 800 years ago, when it was built.  I heard a construction expert in Europe say it would take a decade to rebuild but there are still a lot of skilled stone masons and other tradespeople in Europe who know how to build and repair buildings.  I suspect steel will be used in the roof structure, certainly would have been used back in the 1100's if it was available.  I saw it in 1970, a beautiful building, hope to at least see a picture of it rebuilt before I'm gone. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:11pm
depending on how it's reconstructed.
if required to be 'as it was', you'll never find the wood anywhere in the world, period
if to be built 'up to current bldg codes', super easy to use steel and LVLs, then clad in Oak veneer. be nice to install sprinklers too !

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 5:51pm
Confirmed: Notre Dame Fire Definitely Means Whatever You Want It To
April 16th, 2019

PARIS—A new report issued by an investigative team working on the Notre Dame Cathedral fire in Paris confirmed that the blazing inferno that consumed part of the historic building yesterday means whatever you want it to.

< width="300" height="250" border="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" ="0" ="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" id="aswift_1" name="aswift_1" style="-sizing: border-; left: 0px; : ; top: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; width: 300px; height: 250px;">

In the midst of a flurry of online commentary on the disaster, the world waited with bated breath for the investigation to confirm their opinions, theories, and hot takes on the fire. Finally, the world was relieved to find that the fire is definitely symbolic of whatever each person wants it to be symbolic of.

"If you think this is a symbolic judgment on the Catholic Church, sure, fine. That's what it means," one investigator said. "If you think it represents the downfall of Western Civilization in Europe, then OK. Yeah, you go with that."

"You think this actually isn't bad because other bad stuff has happened that is worse? You think it's not OK for people to mourn the loss of the building? You want to use the fire to slam your political foes? Sure. Yup. You're correct."

The report also indicated that it was either an accidental fire or definitely part of a coordinated attack by Muslims, cultists, Protestants, or aliens, whichever best confirms your preconceived ideas.

Personally, I believe it is still too early to comment intelligently...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 16 Apr 2019 at 5:52pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:42pm
I am sure donations will pour in from around the world, as long as it's feely given.
I heard today that nut-job prime minister they have is promising it will be rebuilt, thats all fine and dandy, but why is gooberment official like him saying that? The Catholic Church is one of the most wealthy institutions the world has ever known. Surely they can pony up the funds to rebuild.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I am sure donations will pour in from around the world, as long as it's feely given.
I heard today that nut-job prime minister they have is promising it will be rebuilt, thats all fine and dandy, but why is gooberment official like him saying that? The Catholic Church is one of the most wealthy institutions the world has ever known. Surely they can pony up the funds to rebuild.

13 million visitors per year is a whole bunch of euro for France and extends the need to rebuild beyond the catholic church
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:09pm

Less than a day after a tragic fire destroyed much of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, donations have flooded in to fund the rebuilding of the iconic 850-year-old landmark — including nearly $700 million just from a handful of France’s richest citizens and corporations.

Francois-Henri Pinault, the fashion mogul CEO of Kering, which owns brands such as Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, was one of the first to step up. Pinault pledged that his family would donate 100 million euros (about $113 million) to restore Notre Dame after watching flames rise out from the historic cathedral in the heart of Paris.

Pinault’s 82-year-old father, Francois Pinault, is the founder of Kering, and the family has a net worth estimated at $37 billion,

Soon after the Pinault family’s pledge, another 200 million euros ($226 million) was promised to help rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral by Bernard Arnault, the CEO of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton — and the richest man in Europe. Arnault’s current net worth is around $90 billion, which makes him the third richest person in the world, after only Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.

The French cosmetics company L’Oreal and its billionaire owners, the Bettencourt family, have also pledged to donate 200 million euros for the Notre Dame restoration. Another major French corporation, the oil company Total, has committed to donating 100 million euros to the rebuilding effort as well.

All together, just these donations from billionaire families and French corporations come to a total of 600 million euros, or over $675 million in U.S. dollars.

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Apr 2019 at 10:10pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:43am
we too think it was aweful to watch that wonderful building burn. the old lady....oooops….I mean the loving wife and myself both thought....that if that building was here in the big city, they would have torn it down a long time ago for a parking lot, stating it was to old to use! it's their mentality!
ford8nwd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ford8nwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:33am
I hear they have an order in to Menards for some trusses and vinyl siding.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:29am
I don't believe the Catholic Church pays to build churches. It is the local parish that foots the bill. Thay will provide technical historical assistance but that is about it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
in that case the local parish can rebuild for free, considering the money they've saved by NOT paying property taxes !
 At least up here churches do not pay property taxes on any 'church' land

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:18am
there is already over 1 billion dollars in donations to help rebuild.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic