This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No spark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooter90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark
    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 12:51pm
I’m trying to get my “new” b started. It was stored outdoors the last year or so. The engine turns freely and it has a new 12v battery. The lights work but I have no spark at the plugs. The instrument cluster is different than shown in the manual. It has a push / pull switch on the lower right for lights. A three position toggle switch on the lower left of which only two poles have wires, one to a ground and one to the magneto. Whatever was in the middle is missing. Can I bypass this switch somehow to see if that is my problem?
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 12:59pm
A mag should either have a tab to ground it out on the side of the mag or a wire going back to a switch to ground it. Make sure the tab is clear of the mag body if it has a tab. In your case unhook the wire from the mag and that will bypass a shorted to ground wire as well as the switch.

Edited by Jim.ME - 19 Oct 2019 at 1:02pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:16pm
Scooter,
 Welcome! Electricals can be tricky. I wire ever one of mine different so that the next guy will have similar issues as you!:)
Your about 60-70 miles west of me.
Resize your pictures to about 900 x 720. We will be able yo view them better.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Scooter90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooter90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:44pm
I disconnected the kill tab so it wasn’t touching anything. Still no spark
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:56pm
You posted you have a wire to the mag from a switch and the switch has another to ground. By saying you disconnected the kill tab to you mean the wire connected at the kill tab and a kill tab?

As for the switch missing something in the middle it might be that is just the switch someone had available and only used those two posts when they wired it. You can use an ohmmeter or other type continuity tester to check continuity between the switch poles if you unhook the wires from it.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 3:00pm
Scooter90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooter90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 4:51pm
Yes, I took the wire off the kill tab on the magneto. Would my next step be to replace the points and condenser?
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 5:35pm
Try starting by just cleaning the point contacts, rotor, and inside of the cap. See what that does.

Just FYI in regards to your first post. Your battery and the lights have nothing to do with the magneto. Mags are self contained units, that is why they were common on tractors, and other equipment, started with hand cranks and having no electrical systems at all on them.

Scooter90 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooter90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 6:07pm
I cleaned the points and rotor. I’ll revisit that and post the images. For now do you think it’s ok to leave the kill switch disconnected and out of the “troubleshooting” loop?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic