This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie needing some info.what model Allis is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockytop82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needing some info.what model Allis is this?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:44pm
Hey Folks. I just joined up today hoping yall can give me some direction on restoring my first Allis Chalmers tractor. Im still trying to determine what model it is, from looking at other pictures im guessing it is a model B or C. This tractor belonged to my grandad and he was the last person to use it which as been about 15 years ago. To my knowledge there was no issues with it as it has been parked in the barn and out of the weather ever since. I remember him turning a crank on the front to fire it up but i havent found the crank yet so im not sure if it will still run or not . I plan on airing up the tires and bringing it over to my garage this weekend to get started on it. Any advice, tips,direction or constuctive criticism is much appreciated. 

Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:51pm
B. Looks to be a '38 or '39 with those front wheels. Serial number can be found stamped in front of the shifter under the cast TRACTOR NO.

Looks like a great project! You came to the right place! Looks like you've got a set of cultivators on there as well.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:52pm
A few things you might want to consider; but first remember it's your tractor & you have every right in the world to do whatever you want to with it. Since it was your grandfather's tractor, there are 2 schools of thought. One is to restore it back to the condition it was when he first bought it. The other is to leave it exactly as he left it (after getting it repaired to the point of running well), especially if it has good original paint & decals on it. I can't tell, but if that's an original Allis oil filter, take it off, clean it up & put it on a shelf because there aren't a lot of those around (I don't think). Good luck!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:52pm
You have a fine example of a B there. It appears to be an all fuel B as it has the mounting holes for the starter tank on the right rear of the hood. If you look near the gear shift lever there is a place where Tractor Number is cast in. right below that is a pad with the tractor serial number hand stamped. It will start with the model, Bxxxxx. If you know that number you can find the year of production. Good luck with the restoration and don't be afraid to ask any questions about it.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 7:53pm
Welcome to the forum.  You've got your Grandad's B, also with cultivators it looks like.  I'll let some of the experts give you the rundown on what to do first... they helped me too.  As I have a B that had set about 15 years also.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:03pm
charlie! are you kiddin me??? how do you see any holes in the hood in that little pic?? i can't see 'em even with my cheaters on!!! whew!!  oh...and welcome to the forum rocky! as you can guess by now,, there's a few older gents on here...like charlie!!  lol
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:07pm
Welcome to the forum
"I remember him turning a crank on the front
to fire it up but i havent found the crank yet"
hear is a site that show you a crank
and Magneto ,Ignition ,timing

http://www.worldpath.net/~thompson/
Hand Crank Drawing
Magneto Ignition Timing - Step-by-Step
hth  it should get you started
we can`t have Mr. Bill long favorite
not working wright
if you need more help just ask .
B:-)     Dnoym

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:08pm
I saved the picture to my desktop and opened it with Microsoft Photo Editor. then I can make it 200%.It does look like it has the 39 6 rivet front wheels, but it also has a battery box. Was electric start available on the 39's?

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Sep 2010 at 8:10pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:14pm
Rockytop, If I were you , I would pull the plugs out and add a squirt or 3 of oil in each cylinder. Then try rocking the tractor with the back wheels while in 3rd gear. if it rocks, it should roll over. If it rolls over it might not take much to get her running.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 08 Sep 2010 at 8:15pm
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:19pm
  we can furnish a crank   1-800-254-3116   with a spinner also
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:19pm
It sure looks like a taller seat frame. Foot brakes?

Real early B's did not have shutters, they had a canvas. I guess it could be a 39 if it has hand brakes....

Let's see some more photos, and by george, get that serial number!
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:38pm
Welcome to the forum Rocky. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. Many B experts reading here. Once my WD45 is done, a little B will be my next toy.

Have fun with it, and post some progress pictures.

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:57pm
Welcome aboard Rockytop! You have found the best site on the planet, maybe the universe! I see you say that your grandad used to hand-crank it. Maybe he was like my grandad and too "frugal" to buy a new one. I definitely see lights and a battery box. I think I see a starter on the right side there also. They can be started with a small 12 volt battery, but MAKE SURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT ALL OTHER WIRING TO THE LIGHTS AND GENERATOR, 12 VOLTS WILL FRY THE GENNY, CUTOUT, BLOW THE BULBS IN THE LIGHTS(if they're not already goners), and make a mess of a 6 volt system. I have a C. I took all of the rotten wiring off, got a new ground and positive battery cable with new ends, and put those on with no other wiring. Clean all of your connections very well and make sure they are tight. Remove the starter from the engine and clean the outside of the starter snout with sandpaper til it's bare metal. Do the same with the inside of the engine where it bolts up. Take out the bolt and clean it too. Put it back together and see if it will turn over(after you have rocked it or pulled it around to make sure it's free). If the starter doesn't work, or sparks, arcing is occurring around the starter, take it to a starter/alternator shop. They can rebuild it. If you feel confident tearing into the starter, there are plenty here who can help you troubleshoot it and get it going. Mine just needed a good cleaning and the drive spring replaced. Now it works fine. These old tractors are simple as mud, and tougher than an anvil. They will run nearly forever with a little periodic TLC. Sorry for the long-winded post. Glad to have you on here, and look forward to seeing some progress pics.
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:35am
You've got a great tractor there...something to be proud of. I wish I had my grandfather's Farmall Super H.
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:03am
Welcome, and I'll secind basicaly what everyone else said.  Looks like about a 40 B to me.  I don't see hand brakes, and can't tell if the front rims are riveted, or have bolts.
#1 pull the plugs and shoot a little oil in there.  I prefer Deep Creep, others like Kroil, and some use Transmision fluid.  Don't bother with products like WD40, or PB blaster.  Go with something that has a little more action.
#2 You will be tempted to pull start it.  Since it's been sitting, I would advise against it until you at least know the engine turns over well.  I like to pull the hood, and valve cover and tap each rocker arm to make sure the valves aren't stuck.  Then I drench them in fresh oil.  Change the engine oil before trying to start too.
#3  The battery on it is most likely a 6Volt POSITIVE ground.  Verify that before messing with electrical.  You can find 6V batteries at the local farm supply.

That should get you a little ways towards getting it running.  Give me a call on our toll-free line if I can answer anything else!
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
rockytop82 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockytop82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:11pm
ok folks the sn is B53073, tractor has foot brakes, and front wheels are bolt on. the tires are rotten to pieces but i put some air to them and the tubes hold long enough to move it out of the barn. the tractor is still hooked to a cultivator, should i try to remove it first or get the tractor out then remove it?
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:01pm
look like you have a

1938: 97
1939: 11800
1940: 33502
1941: 49721
1942: 56782
1943: 64501
1944: 65502
1945: 70210
1946: 72265
1947: 73370
1948: 80556
1949: 92295
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-
tractors/000/0/0/3-allis-chalmers-b.html

B:-)  Dnoym
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:27pm
1941 model. I think that is what dnoyn is saying. Ser number listed beside year is first tractor built that year. Next year would be one higher than last one made in previous year. I didn't know they put foot brakes on in 41, but there's a lot I don't know.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:33pm

Went back to look at the pic again. Did not see the seat. If he was like my grandad, he took it off and put it somewhere that it wouldn't get wet or damaged. You might look around. It will look like a little mattress with steel springs inside, could be covered with anything from the original green colored canvas to any sort of fabric they could find.

Hope you got to spend some time on it with your grandad. I have a lot of good memories of mine. Take it slow with getting it going. That's the best way to do it right IMO. Also makes the quality time more enjoyable, and getting it going and knowing it was done right.
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:46pm
Foot brakes were introduced between 52000 and 53000, do not recall exact number.

I have one of the 1941 "first day" tractors, #49728.... (with hand brakes)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic