This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New puller questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Backwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New puller questions
    Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 6:52pm
Hello everyone. I am looking at building a new pulling tractor. I know that I want to pull in the 3500, 4500, and 5500 lb classes. I know I want to put 15.5-38 tires on it. I was wondering what would be a better base tractor, a wd or wd45? Is there any gear ratios that I want? What engine block would you start with that looks stock to the tractor? What would you do to that engine?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:16pm
Depends on the rules you will be pulling under. Some Clubs insist on LOW gear only. Some have an actual speed limit of 3.5 or maybe 4.0 MPH with a horn on the sled.  The difference between 3.5 and 4.0 MPH is do you have enough engine ?? The top RPM that is allowed has a bearing on things too. Some clubs allow only max stock RPM of 1700. Some others allow 10% or 20% over 1700 RPM.  You'll probably not run 5,500 lbs with 15.5 x 38 tires and be very successful unless the competition is pretty weak.  A WD or WD45 belong in 4500 lbs or less to usually be at their best where I come from. The type of dirt you pull on makes a difference too. Low gear is 13% faster in a WD than a WD45 and will meet the 3.5 MPH speed. Second gear is 5% faster in a WD over a WD45 and is  almost 5 MPH. These numbers are with an average 15.5 x 38 tire diameter and 1700 RPM. When I built my WD some 25 years ago, it could run LOW gear from 3500 to 5,000 lbs almost anywhere and on some tracks 5,500. This was with 15.5 x 38 cut rubber,  a short /20 inch high drawbar and about 80 to 85 HP with 15% over stock RPM.  That is a bit more than a 35 HP WD had when new.  I see WD45's run un-sharpened/not-cut 38 inch rubber in low gear with a 16 inch high/ long drawbar(another rule) and most of the time have enough power (LOW gear @ 4500 lbs) in my kind of dirt. So, a healthy WD45 engine is an absolute bare minimum. If you are wanting an engine that is capable of running second gear with 38 inch cut tires, a 20 inch high drawbar and weighing 4500 lbs, you are talking 100 HP and lots of $$$$$ to get there.

Edited by DrAllis - 16 Nov 2018 at 11:23pm
Backwoods View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Backwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 8:02am
Basically the club rules say that you tractor needs to have a fucncutioning govener. It says nothing about turbos in the rule and we can put any fuel in it that we want. There are no speed limits. This club is not transfer sled but pulls dead weight 100 ft. Actually in our club there is a Allis wc with 15.5-38 that pulls in 3500 all the way up to 6500.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 1:56pm
I don't consider jerking a block as  "pulling".  Good luck with your wide open/anything goes rules. Sounds like you've got it figured out with a WC in the 6500 lb class. Better have a spare chassis laying around for driveline repair parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic