This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new outdoor kitchen...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new outdoor kitchen...
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:27am
it ain't here yet, but gonna bite the bullet and buy one of them wood lawn sheds and have it set up on my lower deck. think'in size of 8x16 or 10x18. my lower deck is 16x16. it'll house the freezer, flat top grill, shelving for all the old ladys….oooops….I mean the loving wifes holiday stuff she puts up outside, and winter storage for lawn cushions and stuff. trying to decide if I should insulate it or not? I have a Quonset fabric shelter there now, it's only about 6x10. it sure is nice to sit in when the wind is blowing and i'm waiting for the dogs to gits done sniffing and pooping each outing. any of ya'll have your grills inside anything for grilling out of the weather? i'm sure some use your garages. I ain;t gots one of them.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:18am
  Well,Shameless,,,if,,,,IF,,,there was any room in my garage for the big smoker/Grill,,,thas where it would be when it gets windy here,,,,I still gots two of the big 4' by 6' campaign signs left over from the Governor's last race that I use for wind breaks,,,,I have em zip tied together  to keep the draft going on the smoker and works many wonderfuls,,,,Clap 
  If it ain't warm enough to smoke meats without a jacket,,,,it TOOO cold to be out,,,,,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:05am
if'n I grill...i'll do that outside cuz of all the smoke. the flat top don't smoke when cooking. and the smoker will also be outside, but out of the wind. plus I can keep my spices and other cooking goodies out there prolly ina cupboard. along with my cast iron stuff and can hang my tools up that I use. right now everything is in a plastic container that is a pain. it sucks that all them sheds have the roofs draining the rain water right above the door. guess i'll hafta fab a rain gutter. I asked the dealer to make the roof slat the other way and he refuses to ask the manuf. PffffT!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:09am
Insulate and add a window to the back. If you don't it gets unbearably hot in the summer.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:50pm
And cut a hole in the wall for AC, plumb in a sink and stool, wire up the place, heat tape the water lines, add electric heat. Then all ya need is a new TV, a new recliner, a fridge, a cot and call her a day. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 12:50am
before I could prolly gits all that done, the o;d lady....oooops...I mean the loving wife will prolly have it filled up with junk like she has done with all the other places I've brought in. PffffT! I might puts a PVC pipe with a funnel attached for a urinal since no ferds park in my driveway anymore!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 10:44pm
Build a short piece of roof over the door....I'd have to see it, but it can be done.
Why don't YOU go to the manufacturer and ask questions.  I do that all the time.  If I don't get the answer I want, or don't like the answer I do get, I go to the higher up and it usually comes back with; "That's a great idea, and it makes a lot of sense."  Sometimes I get some perks with those type of things too.
You gotta take the bull by the horn.  Some of these managers are scared to death of losing their jobs.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:01pm
I always thought it would be nice to have one of those set up for a summer kitchen. Heck with going out to grill when the winds comin in at 40MPPH and the temp is below 0.
 I'd like to have a gas stove out side so I can keep the canning heat out of the house in the summer.
 Guess it would be nice to have a warm shop to tinker in in weather like this weeks, but I can get by doing the cookin indoors in this kind of weather Big smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 12:11pm
that's what I do outside in summer, it does help keep the house cooler in the summer, and if'n i'm outta the wind in the winter, the grill kinda warms the tent we have out there now, but the smoke gits to me. if'n I puts one of them sheds out there...i'll use the flat top grill, it don't smoke when grilling on it. we can cook our steaks and other meat in the house, helps with heating too, but that grilled flavor just isn't there!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 1:49pm
Which grill did the limb fall on? Good thing the building wasn't there yet
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm
it was our charring grill, good thing it didn't get my new flat top grill, that one was sitting about 2 ft from where the limb fell...I would have been a tad bit upset if that one got it.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:52pm
Well, now you get to save money!!  You don't have to buy the wood lawn shed.
You get to fix the porch first.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:45pm
Here's my outdoor mud stove:
mudstovewhole by vwfatmobile, on Flickr

It's made of clay, sand and some straw,.. called cob.
 Works great for summer canning.
 Fire goes near the door, fry pan for sauteing mushrooms, garlic and onions.
 The second pot is for all the rest of the ingredients.
 3rd pot is for canning.
 The fire can be pushed back under the pot that is getting used.
 Chimney is a propane water heater that's plumbed to outdoor kitchen sink.
 And to the house so I can take a hot shower after a long hot days canning.
 It's called a Lorena stove but most of them don't look like mine.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 12:22am
That's one well fed mouser.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:07am
that's pretty cool Craig...did you take pics as you were building it? if so...we wanna see them! I've got one of them can cookers that I haven't used yet. and yes on what Chaz says!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm
Don't want the man to come around it kinda looks like a still
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:39pm
That little fatty likes to photobomb.
Here's a link to a post with some mudstove info on it:
https://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10974

This is a mud stove/oven with more build pics:
https://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11982

They both have a base made of large pieces of  urbanite. 2 layers.
Then a tub of urbanite filled with clay, sand and rocks directly under the fire.
Cob-coated clay bricks make the firebox walls.
 Metal bars span the top to support it while it drys.
 Barrel stove doors work great, still bolted to the top of the barrel.
  Lift a pot off the top and you can see that the flames are in direct contact with the bottom of the pot.
 Because of the mass it takes awhile to heat up,
 but once it does you can put a roast and some vegys in the canner
 and come back 3 hours later to a good meal.

Improvements?
I used to think each hole should fit the special pot for it,..
 because that's how everyone else did it.
 Made the holes deep.
 Now I try to make the top almost flat with the pot sitting on top and holes that will work with several pots or a wok.
 I'll be using more layers of brick to make the sides higher,
 the taller firebox provides more room for the hoe to get in there to move wood and remove ashes.
 Might put a rocket stove under the skillet hole on the next one.
So it heats up faster or if I just want to use the skillet.
 The final coat is sifted sand and clay, with a cup or 2 of hydrated lime
 per 5 gallon bucket,.. 3/4 full.
 Linseed oil seems to seal it up and protect it from the weather better than some of the other things I've tried.

Edited by wide - 29 Jan 2019 at 10:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic