This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member with Obscure Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthLouisiana121333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member with Obscure Questions
    Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 6:32am
Hi, new member here in South Louisiana.

Please have some patience with me, as I have never used a forum before. I did some searching on this forum site for the questions I have and did not find what I was looking for. 

I purchased a restored 1952 AC B high crop Thomson Conversion literally two days ago. The guy that restored it did a really bang-up job on it. I've always been interested in antique tractors and couldn't pass it up. Mainly wanted it to pull a trailer for parades and to pull a single plow. This tractor came with the wishbone bracket but did not come with a draw-bar hitch or any implements. I am thinking that I either want to set it up for a 1940's style plow to pull or for a hand lift plow that has the lever near the operator. 

I have come across some original drawbars with mounts on eBay and am surprised how expensive they are. $350-500! These still need sanding and painting. So, I am wondering if there are any people out there who sell reproductions of these setups for...? I've checked Steiner and Tony's Tractors but all they have are the 3-point hitches. 

Secondly, I am wondering if any of you know what the purpose of the L-shaped bracket is that is mounted directly behind the fuel tank. I looked at pictures of restorations online and I see that some didn't have this piece, and some did have it, and some had some other variation of it, however, I never see anything mounted to it or it serving any purpose really. 

Pics included in this post for visual reference. 

Thanks, in advance for all of your insight!

Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 7:32am
Welcome to the forum and nice looking tractor. Check out the classified section here. There are some B parts and plows up for sale
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 7:57am
The bracket at the rear of the fuel tank was for a "strap" used as an additional attachment for the fuel tank.  This changed through the run of the B, early models did not have this, later models (such as yours as a 52) did have it.  I am guessing at some point the tank was changed on yours, or possibly the strap was damaged or removed for repair and never reattached.  I don't have a picture handy, but think of your main strap on the front of the tank - cut the end off with a short tail of the strap and spot weld to the tank.  The bolt in the end of the strap would go through the bracket you have pictured.

As far as a drawbar, the swinging drawbars like you have pictured are nice, but the holes in the horseshoe drawbar will work just fine for pulling a wagon.  This will also work fine if you are pulling a pull plow.  Additionally, the horseshoe drawbar has to be removed to use a mounted plow, so, that swinging drawbar just adds more to be removed if you are going that route.  Just something to think about.  If you really want a swinging drawbar, post an ad in the classifieds section, same with the plows.  There are several guys who frequent the site that deal in used parts, and you never know what somebody has that they might sell from a previous restoration.

Hope this helps
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 8:08am

Edited by steve(ill) - 08 Apr 2024 at 8:11am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
Nice looking Tractor.  I have a couple of those drawbars and would be willing to sell off one .  $125 plus shipping.  Scott
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 9:16pm
Beautiful tractor and welcome to the forum.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 10:37pm
Welcome to forum.
That drawbar extension in Steve’s picture brings back memories. My grandfather had a 53 ford as a dealer truck painted orange with that plate bolted to bumper. Always just thought it was a hunk of iron. Tell this forum seeing pictures of them.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2024 at 8:24am
Grandpa pulled a C at tractor pulls for years. Often Used it to pull a plow at plow days too. No swinging drawbar to speak of. Pulled right from the horseshoe.

That is a good looking B. Find a good draw pin and pick your favorite hole to pull from and enjoy!

Edited by AC WD45 - 11 Apr 2024 at 8:25am
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic