This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New idea on connecting rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New idea on connecting rods
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 11:22am

Sounds like a neat idea, who will be the first to put one is a pulling motor?
20-30% increase in torq!
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a41777886/two-piece-connecting-rod-sema/

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Sponsored Links

bsallis180 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsallis180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 4:50am
I don’t see where this will benefit in any way but lining someone else’s pocket.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 6:33am
Looks to me like a new long/tall piston design is in order, instead of a two piece conn rod. All they are doing is drastically lowering the piston pin location using an existing piston forging. Side loads on crank and piston will be increased a bunch !!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:16am
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:32am

Your link was blurred out unless I become a Road and Trick member, I did not. 
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 11:40am
Claims that it decreases sidewall pressure are erroneous.

You could do the same thing by just using a shorter rod and a taller piston, although skirt clearance with the crank counterweights are an issue.

BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 5:51pm
I was using Firefox and the information was there, on google, yes, blurred out.

Found this site with more information (works in Google browser):

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 8:51pm
Should be more HP do to angel  of rod to crankshaft,but hard on parts. That is same principle M&W used to gane HP with off set wrist pin. A lot more ware on crank. Most needed crank reground when it came time for overhaul.                    MACK
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 5:39am
Looks and sounds like total BS to me. I agree with TramwayGuy.

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 03 Jan 2023 at 5:41am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:12am
I'm old and behind the times. Last played with SB Chevys 40+ years ago. Looked at LS engine stripped down on engine stand getting new cam installed. If I remember right,you have to pull heads to do this. Bright idea GM. Any way,I was surprised how short the pistons are. Not much skirt to begin with. Doesn't look like long term design but apparently they run lots of miles and stay together.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 6:54am
The topic is these new fangled Connecting Rods which don't look like an advantage to me. Nonetheless, answering last post, a cam change can be done on an L series V8 without cylinder head removal. Click on below:
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:28am
from their own mouth....
The two-piece con rods are heavier than standard items, creating additional inertial forces that will increase substantially as the engine revs faster, so there's a good chance that even if there are low-end gains, they might come at the expense of high-RPM horsepower.

seems you CAN'T get something for nothing, it's a give and take 'upgrade'
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:03pm
Doc and Tramway are spot-on.

This piece of alumanure is only doing two things-  changing the piston height, and reducing the rod length.

If you want a piston to last long and not scrub hell out of the cylinder walls, you don't relocate the 'gudeon pin' to a point BELOW THE SKIRT.

If you want an engine to be efficient in it's generation of power, you keep the rod length LONG, so the included angle of rod doesn't result in high sideloading of the piston in the hole.

The rod length and stroke has other added circumstances, one of which is piston SPEED, and the other is piston ACCELLERATION.   Shortening the rod forces the piston's peak velocity (at 90ATDC) UP, which has an inherent problem with combustion pressures-  in order for the piston to accellerate fast, the combustion pressure needs to rise extremely fast, JUST to keep up.  The result being, the Brake Effective Pressure hasn't changed with respect to measurement just past TDC, but the Brake Effective Pressure is dropping RAPIDLY after 45 degrees, because the piston's accelleration means cylinder VOLUME is rising faster than combustion pressure can keep up.

Charles Fayette Taylor covered it in several chapters of his book The Internal Combustion engine in Theory and Practice

and Gordon Jennings followed on with it (in my opinion, a bit better) in his 2-Stroke Tuner's Handbook
And Gordon's description in many ways stresses greater importance, because a ported 2-stroke is ultimately limited on it's power-stroke duration by the presence of that exhaust port... he's of the 'squish-bander' genre, and had an incredible grasp for not only the timing of that expansion pulse, but he was really sensitive to flame-speed issues, because the 2 stroke's flame velocity was affected by presence of oil in the fuel.

Really, the idea of this idea is total horseradish... it baffles me that they'd make such a blatantly false statement.  Next up, the earth is a perfect cube, right?

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:17am
X2 what DaveKamp Says!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic