This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New house electrical question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New house electrical question
    Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:55pm
So power co for new house requires a breaker next to the meter. Can't seem to find a simple 200 amp breaker at Lowe's that fits the need. Everything has multiple spots for extra breakers. Or is too small. And I missing something?
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:04pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:05pm
breaker, or switch?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:11pm
Some electric companies will want a double throw disconnect if you are going to have a generator.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:15pm
another version at Lowes......... this is real common in the country in Illinois... sometimes the METER is also in the box with the breaker.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-CB-Enclosure-2-Circuit-1-Space-200-Amp-Main-Breaker-Load-Center/3200595
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:19pm
another option is a 200 amp breaker with a small panel that you can add a 20 amp breaker below it to give you a power source out at the pole.........and the 200 amp continues thru to the house.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:59pm
Im sure those will work. Just seems odd that a fully loaded 200 ampwith breakers is less than a outdoor breaker.  Guess it just stingmore since I'm doing 2 meters,
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:17pm
Jim-
What they're referring to, is probably a 'code philosophy' that they've adopted as S.O.P. for customer distribution:

When you install a power service overhead to the side of a house, there's a meter box on the outside of the house, a short drop through rigid conduit, through an LB in the wall, to a utility panel with main disconnect.  The only 'unprotected' span downstream of the meter, is that short length into the main disconnect.

On a 'farm pole' service, a pole has a weatherhead up top, with rigid EMT down to meter, then immediately below meter box is a fused disconnect switch.  From there, it either goes underground to a building, or back up another piece of EMT, through weatherhead, to overheads to other buildings.

The fuseable disconnect does four things:

1) Overcurrent/short circuit protection (to keep overhead wiring, houses, and buildings from burning)
2) Supply protection- keeps pole transformers and overhead wiring from carrying fault current (fuse blows)
3) Establishes the max current of the service, to suit overhead wiring.  You don't wanna pull 450A through a piece of overhead wire suitable for only 200A.
4) Safety shutoff/lock-tag - used for general service in a farm environment (overheads damaged in storms, machinery, etc), and also... provides a way of cutting power to a building in the event of a fire.

My farm is supplied through a brand-new utility pole- I replaced the VERY VERY old wooden pole with a 21' 8" square 1/4" wall steel tube with meter box and 200A switch, EMT, weatherhead, insulator, and up top, a very nice trio of LED shoebox lamps on a T-bar.

My 200A fused switchbox was REALLY costly... almost $800.  Cry 

I bit the bullet, and bought the right thing, because it's built specifically for that purpose.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by JimD JimD wrote:

Im sure those will work. Just seems odd that a fully loaded 200 ampwith breakers is less than a outdoor breaker.  Guess it just stingmore since I'm doing 2 meters,
Jim, WHY are you doing two meters?
Here we pay $35 or $45 dollars per each meter we have.  I used to have two, one to the house and one to the barn.  Now I only have one and feed both the house and barn.

Our electrical supplier got this idea from some other outfit so they could regulate and raise more money.  A LOT of the farmers around here still have at least two meters because they don't want to spend the $$$$ to change it to one.

COULD happen to you some day.....you never know, they are always looking for a new way to raise money.

Being as it's new, why not put a pedestal out somewhere and have the meter on that and feed from there?  We have them around here and it has the disconnect built into that.  I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was less than $300.  Paid for itself the first year.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:21am
Our meter feeds the House and my Shop, 1000A supply with a built in full disconnect AFTER the Meter. Meter is pole mounted. I have a Generator connection at the box base all signed off by the REA as to usable as the Disconnect has to be open for generator use. Can run the house heat, shop heat and well from the buildings to keep winter at bay and still have energy to do it without injuring a lineman or trying to feed ALL the neighbors.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:49am
REA here.  When they put the drop in they also provided the 200 Amp box/breaker that was fed by the incoming wires and transformer on the pole.

I had to pay them for the drop and installing it on the pole.

No choice, but it was seemingly way less than referred to here.

Did you check with the utility co to see if they would install the box.

From my breaker box on the pole the feeds go underground to the house and the barn service panels.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:02am
You also have to remember this is OUTSIDE box, so it is a little better construction and somewhat more SEALED than the inside breaker distribution boxes.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:04am
this isThis is what REA installs around central Illinois... there meter goes on top, your 200 amp breaker is in the bottom half.

Product Image 1
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm
My electric company furnished and installed a meter with a place to put in 3 breakers if you wanted you could run 3 200 amp breakers
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:17pm
House is all electric so when i wanted power to my shop they said put in a center pole.They furnished pole and i had to put in breaker and run wire to weather head and one recteable.Move meter out on pole and changed to a 20 muliplier.All power comes through same meter.150 amp breaker with 150 taps on bottom could go any where and check with  no one.
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:34pm

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:38pm
Here is why there are 2 meters.  It's sort of a duplex. Our house is on the left, and Mom's is on the right.  She needs as much independance as possible, and I can easily see her living here another 25+ years.  So she has her own meter.
The above solutions will work, I just don't see why they are so stinking big when they only have 2 breakers.  I'll upload a pic of the spec sheet they gave me.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:44pm
Here is the spec sheet:

Its cut off but the bottom says "Will need breaker box adjacent to both meters"

Edited by JimD - 02 Feb 2019 at 6:45pm

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
Oh, did I mention that when our shop burned down, we decided to build a new house?  Shop and warehouse will go in right after we move in.

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by JimD JimD wrote:

Jim, WHY are you doing two meters?
Here we pay $35 or $45 dollars per each meter we have.  I used to have two, one to the house and one to the barn.  Now I only have one and feed both the house and barn.

Our electrical supplier got this idea from some other outfit so they could regulate and raise more money.  A LOT of the farmers around here still have at least two meters because they don't want to spend the $$$$ to change it to one.

COULD happen to you some day.....you never know, they are always looking for a new way to raise money.

Being as it's new, why not put a pedestal out somewhere and have the meter on that and feed from there?  We have them around here and it has the disconnect built into that.  I don't remember what I paid for mine, but it was less than $300.  Paid for itself the first year.
Ted they do that because you can't take the electricity that the house uses off your taxes anyway that's why dad done it that way 
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:57pm
We are in a RV park in Florida and we have the 2 meter system for every 2 units.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:12pm
Thanks Kenny, that makes sense now
"Allis-Express"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:40am
that's a really cool looking house Jim!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:47am
after being a fire dispatcher for many years, I learned to have a power shut off/breaker box added to the pole outside where the meter is. here when there is a fire to a house or out building the fire department won't squirt water until the power is cut to that building. that requires the electric company rep to come pull the meter. if it's in the middle of the night...that's a lot of time to wait for their rep and usually caused a total loss to the home/building owner. sometimes the fire dept did pull the meter before the power co rep got there, but after some many law suits they quit that! (it's different now) so I had a shut off installed at my house, then meter doesn't hafta be pulled. only regret was I didn't have any plug ins added to the shut off box.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:52am
My one neighbor has a meter out on the pole. He sold the farm and kept the house, garage and about an acre of land. The power company said they can't put 2 meters in to split his power from the grain bins and machine shed, unless the farm side is set up on a commercial rating. More money for them I guess, but it sounds kinda fishy to me.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:02pm
I have a sequence box (meter mounting enclosure and lugs for meter) in the shop with a meter I bought off E-bay , so I know how much electric is used for shop and also have on in basement for kilns the wife had for her ceramics studio. 
 I know a disconnect was needed IF a meter was mounted on a central pole for farm use in many places and also some type of limiting  fusing for branch circuits . 
 Now NEA codes are always being updated so keeping up with them is a constant study of codes .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 03 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:58pm
We couldn't pull the meters either.  We had an attic fire and the guy from Northern States pulled the meter, but we still had power up in that attic.
After the fire was out and our inspectors got to looking around, they found that when the owner built the house next door for his son, they ran power to it from his until it was built.  They never disconnected that line.
So sometimes the 'good ole days' aren't so good.
"Allis-Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:26am
Mother in Law's neighbor was caught power tapping from a rental home next to their live in home. He had added four extension cords underground to snitch power to run the washer and drier and a few rooms lights on the rental meter. Got caught when two of the four burnt up in winter and left a heat trail in the ground between the two, damned lucky did not set BOTH houses on fire. He weren't none two brite!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:32am
This is our meter base/disconnect. I left the Temporary 50A plug we used for builder power so if need to(found don't) can plug in a generator. The photo was on one of those 'Bad' days we all have!! Two drop legs, one to house one to shop, 1000Asupply base.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm

Will this work for 200 amp service from meter to breaker box?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic