This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here and just bought a D10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here and just bought a D10
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:05pm
 Hi guys, been trolling this site for sometime just never posted. Im a young pup as some of you would say (27). But am certainly not new to ALLIS's.  
The D10 isnt my first allis and surely wont be my last. I do have a few ?'s for you guys on the D10 series III but we'll get to that in a minute.
Where to start............................. Well the first allis in my family is a '35 UC on F&H round spokes that my grandfather purcashed in 1939 and towed it 250 miles behind a '37 chevy truck. He would later buy one of first Wd's and one of the first D17 series one diesels. All 3 are still in the family. My dad and uncles have owned or still own a multitude of Allis's (probably 75 if you count the Gleaners). They are not Allis but we also are big in the Rumely crowd. I'll take some photos and post for you guys to drool over later. The family ranch my uncles still operate looks some what like an allis/gleaner junk yard (heaven to some!).

now on to the D10
When i got it was stuck but now is free and runs like a top.
First off the tractor wont stay in 3rd gear with out holding the shifter. Is this likely a worn shift rail or detent issue or a gear issue. Can you pull the plate off the side of the transmission to inspect it or possibly fix the issue?
Second issue is the High-low box is making a howling noise. I think its low on gear oil (smells like gear oil anyway) Where do you fill it? Where the detent ball and spring are? And how much oil?
I need to find a service manual so i know more before i tear into it. I appriciate any help or advice you guys give. Caleb

Sponsored Links

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 10:14pm
   Welcome !! As far as I am concerned, Rumely is part of Allis Chalmers, no different than Gleaner !

Sounds like someone has done some gear grinding on the D10.

Edited by Rfdeere - 31 Jan 2012 at 10:15pm
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:08am
Welcome, you are the envey of many.
I look foward to looking at your pics
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:13am
 You will need split the tractor and replace the gear and coupler. That would also be a good time to take a look at the hand clutch and bearings.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:28am
Welcome to the Orange family! I don't have a D series Tractor yet, so I can't help you with your questions, but there's quite a few on here that can help you. Just wait a little bit and they'll be along to help ya out....
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:17pm
   Where's the D10 guys to help Caleb.
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:43pm
First Dennis the D-10 does not have a hand clutch. I'm in Florida until April, my D-10 and all my manuals are home in Michigan. The range transmission is also a little noisy also, not sure why.

If you have a local AGCO Allis dealer he can get you the manuals or some of the sponsors of this great site can get them for you, they are rather inexpensive, and one of the best tools you'll ever buy.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:51pm
Have to remove the right side final drive to be able to remove the inspection plate to gears in transmission. To fix the transmission gears - the whole transmission must come out. There are after market gears but a bit pricy. If you go in- take pictures, make diagrams, notes as much as you can - lots of parts that have to go in order. You will need another hand and be able to do figure eights with all three. Go slow in a clean big uncluttered area to lay out the gears, pins, bushings and some other stuff that does not have a name. Find a couple diagrams & references before you start. May be easier to find another transmission.  Be sure it is for Series III which is different that earlier D 10s
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 7:42pm
    Hey guys i appriciate the suggestions. Im gonna go and look thru all the old dealer manuals my uncle has see if and old ratty shop manual. I'm a field mechanic for a drilling company- mostly Caterpillar engines and have owned my fair share of hotrod so i'm not new to transmissionsLOL. Just looking to see if there was an easy fix for the tranny with out having to tear into itDead.
    I saw today after washing it you had to pull the right final to remove the cover. Ill get a picture of the tractor tomorrow in the sunlight. Its a really nice original D10 other than the grill and grill shell. Some idiot banged it up using the front end loader that was on the tractor but i removed that busted up thing this evening and will trade it off. 

Ill have to start a new thread with pictures of our stuff. 
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:37pm

Felt bad so i pulled it back in the shop and snap a couple of photos to quit teasing!

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 8:48pm
I've built new side panels which 2 piece so it is easy to take them off and back on, if you need to get behind them, like to the electrics in the dash.
I had to replace a gear, in the transmission. I didn't think it was too bad of a job. I replaced the oval head that took a large flat blade screwer to flat head allen head bolts.

Dusty 
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:01pm
Welcome Caleb.
Nice looking tractor! 
Where are you located in Oklahoma?
I live halfway between Mustang and Union City with 2 WD's and a WD45 with a Freeman loader that's older than me.
CALEBnOK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CALEBnOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:08pm
between okarche and piedmont. 9 miles due east of Eichen's Bar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic