This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Heavy Truck Mileage -MPG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Heavy Truck Mileage -MPG
    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 1:01pm
Was driving a 2021 Pete Quad dump truck on Friday 27,000 miles on truck . 
Unshre of engine but computer readout said it used .8 gallons per hour idling and got a whopping 2.3 MPG on the road average , loaded - empty on job site . 
 Seems my old White gas job gets better mileage that the new truck does but not all the creature comforts like the Pete .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 1:51pm
Common complaint of those that have been around HD Trucks any length of time.  SCR DPF systems use Fuel to "Cleanse the Apparatus" by cooking the systems in High Heat.  Can remember when the First Detroit Diesel 50 and 60 series came out along with the 3406E Cats that were capable of 7-9mpg and LOADED, that IMMEDIATELY got curbed with NEW and IMPROVED emissions Devices then ULSD Fuel..

My own 99 F250 7.3 Dsl was getting close to 19mpg when bought it, EPA garbage programs dropped that to 14 by 2015 and 12 by 2017, I used a programmer and got it back to 16mpg.

Will never convince me that MORE fuel use will ever equate to LESS emissions.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
DAVE !!!......... its the NEW MATH !!  
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 4:55am
Auto manufacturers have made progress in gasoline powered vehicles for fuel economy. Diesel-powered has went backwards due to emissions control and reliability due to DEF fluid controls failing all because no black smoke! At a Farm Bureau meeting a Farmer had bought a Ram Cummins powered truck same body style same year. We were talking and I asked what fuel mileage he got. He was excited to tell me he and his wife took a trip north with the truck and he got 19 mpg! He was disappointed when he asked me what I got with my gas powered Ram with 18 mpg on a recent trip and his truck cost $10,000 more than mine and fuel price is higher,but he has more torque!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:16am
My 89 with Cummins and 5 speed will get 25+ with the USLD. With real diesel fuel it was getting close to 30. NEWER isn't better. I remember years ago (in the 80s) the fuel TT I was driving would haul 9,000 gallons of gas or 7,500 gallons of fuel and be under 80,000 and get near to 8MPG doing it/ This was an ex EXXON rig with a 3126 CAT and 9 speed. The last ruck I owned was a Freightliner with the L10/13 speed and I was getting over 8 MGP consistently hauling 80,000 regularly.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:57am
I've seen just the opposite in pickups, Paul. I've had diesel pickups for many years, back to a naturally aspirated 6.9. Every time I have bought a new truck fuel mileage has gone up.

Yesterday, we drove from Sebring, FL to Bradenton; a very nice 160 mile round trip. I averaged 21.7 mpg with my 21 F-350 6.7 SRW and some of this was city driving with some very long traffic lights. 

This engine has 475 hp. and 1050 ft. lbs. of torque and a tow rating (gooseneck or fifth wheel) of 21,700 lbs. Towing our 16,000 lbs. fifth wheel from NY to Florida, with the cruise set at 70 mph., I averaged just under 12 mpg. 

I have never had a diesel get that kind of mileage.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:04am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

DAVE !!!......... its the NEW MATH !!  

This is the absolute truth.

Emmissions regulations are all about 'parts per million per gallon burned'... rather than 'parts per per mile'.

So if you're able to be at 100ppm, and cover 16 miles in that gallon, that's 100 parts per 16miles, or 6.25 parts per mile... and (at an arbitrary 4.00/gal) 0.25/mile.

If you're able to be at 50ppm, but only cover 6 miles, that's 8.3 parts per mile, and (at same arbitrary 4.00/gal) 0.66/mi.

This is what engineers refer to as 'false economy'.  It's the same as a restraunteur who loses two dollars on every plate served, but tries to 'make it up by selling more plates'.

The REAL travesty here, is that there is a vast expanse of voting people who, as blind consumers, simply don't have a clue, thinking that those who actually LIVE within the real economics of motor transportation don't understand the economic or environmental circumstances within the realm which they make their livelyhood.

It is for these facts, that I submit to y'all that people who make these regulations are clearly incapable of doing actual math, and should be removed from any position of authority.

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 7:46am
I KNOW the guv up here really cornfused people when
we were forced to go from MPG to L/100KM
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 8:47am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

I've seen just the opposite in pickups, Paul. I've had diesel pickups for many years, back to a naturally aspirated 6.9. Every time I have bought a new truck fuel mileage has gone up.

Yesterday, we drove from Sebring, FL to Bradenton; a very nice 160 mile round trip. I averaged 21.7 mpg with my 21 F-350 6.7 SRW and some of this was city driving with some very long traffic lights. 

This engine has 475 hp. and 1050 ft. lbs. of torque and a tow rating (gooseneck or fifth wheel) of 21,700 lbs. Towing our 16,000 lbs. fifth wheel from NY to Florida, with the cruise set at 70 mph., I averaged just under 12 mpg. 

I have never had a diesel get that kind of mileage.
You're barking up the wrong tree.  It's gotta be 40 years old for Paul.  I'm really surprised by that, as horses required only basic daily maintenance, never seen one need a valve job or o2 sensor.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:00am
My 7.3 I would get 18 plus just running around 12 or so towing, My SRW 250 6.0 I'd get 18 running around 11 to 12 towing, My DRW 6.0 I have now?? 14 to 16 running around, usually 10 to 11 towing at 60 to 65mph. this past Wednesday morning coming out of Mississippi trying to beat the ice storm?? Bucking a 30 mph wind and running 70 plus?? Not very good 7.5 mpg, but I beat the ice storm by 2 hours. I was grossing out over 21,000 lbs.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:45pm
Our F450 7.3's with 16k gvw managed 19 with the 9ft service body.  The 6.0's made 11mpg, the 6.4's made 8mpg, the 6.7's made 6mpg.  We switched to V10 gas after that... and the fuel consumption was about the same, albeit at a lower cost, and with less costly maintenance, and much fewer repairs.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:14pm
Coworker that drives a "Coal Roller" Dodge 24V Cummins made a comment he gets 26mpg, so boss cornered him, wants written miles and fuel purchased numbers, guy said did not have written down, boss told him write the Next FIVE refuels and if cannot justify the comment owes all an apology for the Lie.   He later just stated was sorry exaggerated, he really DOES NOT KNOW how much fuel he burned, did NOT, DOES Not keep track.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:20pm
I am going to hard document everything as to consumption on the rebuild, Oil adds, CAT Oil Samples time and miles and results, Fuel use will be logged.
Shop has two trucks down, a 2017 Pete still JUST under warranty and in the Engine Company shop for DPF Issues, the other in house 2018 where the DPF and SCR bed were sent to Cummins, did NOT, will Not pass Flow tests so is TRASHED, NOT Repairable or Renewable by a Cleaning.  Less than 100,000 remaining of original warranty of BOTH trucks, they will get Warranty repairs then as meet Max Warranty time Go BYE BYE.  Neither truck has managed 6mpg since bought.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 7:00pm
The 07 Freightliner (wasn't mine) that I was driving before I retired had a 60 series Detroit and 10 speed. I always pulled a pneumatic tanker to haul powdered cement and the truck had a PTO blower for unloading. All the emission stuff had been removed and I calculated the MPG daily and it was always about 7+- with an average of 1 hour unloading each load. Now I have no idea of what HP it was set at, however when I did have to run in the mountains it would outpull nearly anything else loaded at 80'000 and would never overheat when asked to pull hard the entire incline. I can't say anything good about the 2 cycle Dogtriots, however that 60 series 4 cycle impressed me. Luckily in the 5 years I was in it it only had minor electrical control issues and should have had the fuel check valve on the back of the engine replaced as it was always hard to start. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 9:37pm
When I was driving tanker the Pete I had for 3 years with a C 11 engine averaged 7.5 MPG as figuring one way was empty / loaded out. 
 Changed me over to newer power unit with C 13 and got 5.5 MPG on that average .
Drivers with the new units with DEF and other junk were averages 4.5 to 5 MPG 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic