This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Book: Allis-Chalmers & Fiat-Allis Construction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffaloroadimports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Book: Allis-Chalmers & Fiat-Allis Construction
    Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 9:26pm
New book just published

Excellent book for anyone interested in the history of Aliis-Chalmers and/or Fiat-Allis or just a general interest in construction machinery.

Full color hardbound book 312 pages written by Roger Amato (Also authored International Harvester, Hough and Dresser Construction and Industrial Machines)

Book is divided into 12 main chapters such as:
Industrial engines
bulldozers (extra info on the HD-41)
track loaders
wheel loaders
scrapers and bottom dumps
graders

This book is available directly from the publisher (Buffalo Road Imports)

Sponsored Links

Doughd16b View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doughd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 5:36am
I just got mine and really like it, lots of info and best of all lots of pictures
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Doughd16b Doughd16b wrote:

I just got mine and really like it, lots of info and best of all lots of pictures

How much of the book covers the Springfield, IL plant operations? Looking to see if I recall anything from my time working there during high school. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 12:22pm
Codger:  There is a little something on the old Fiat Allis South Yard in Springfield at the following link: http://towns-and-nature.blogspot.com/2017/03/springfield-il-allis-chalmers-then-fiat.html

~ Orangeman
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 4:36pm
Wink

Edited by Codger - 18 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:44pm
I had a small hand supplying Roger Amato with photos and copies of brochures over the last five years or so that he was working on this book. My H-3, TL-W loader and unstyled WC Speed Maintainer are pictured. I think that I have 45 credits. It is well done.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 7:46pm
Roger did a very nice job with the book - I ordered one for my early Christmas present. 

It's mind boggling to me that Allis was larger than Caterpillar back in the day and have since gone from the American Industrial landscape.  That in light of the fact that much of the transportation system, dams and airports were built with Cat, International or Allis heavy equipment.  No Komatsu, no Deere,  no Kobelco, no Kubota or other Gray market machines.  

Unfortunately, due to the poor management  and severe economics of the 80's we will never see what Allis could have been had they been able to survive.

~ Orangeman
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 12:16pm
I ordered a copy a while back.  I really enjoyed all the photos, more than Norms book.  Not quite as detailed, but still very good.  One thing I would have liked to have been included are the serial number charts in the back.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
elson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 6:31am
Excellent book for anyone interested in the history of Aliis-Chalmers and/or Fiat-Allis or just a general interest in construction machinery.

Full color hardbound book 312 pages written by Roger Amato (Also authored International Harvester, Hough and Dresser Construction and Industrial Machines)

Book is divided into 12 main chapters such as:
Industrial engines
bulldozers (extra info on the HD-41)
track loaders
wheel loaders
scrapers and bottom dumps
graders      [gadgets]

Edited by elson - 11 Sep 2023 at 7:25am
Shamshoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamshoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 3:14pm
I'm particularly intrigued by the book's organization into 12 main chapters, covering topics like industrial engines, bulldozers (with extra info on the HD-41), track loaders, wheel loaders, scrapers and bottom dumps, and graders. This comprehensive approach seems like it would provide readers with a deep dive into the subject matter. I'll definitely check out bookwormera.com for more book suggestions and see if they have any other fascinating reads about the world of machinery and construction. It's always great to discover new books and expand our knowledge, especially when they come highly recommended.

Edited by Shamshoo - 29 Dec 2023 at 9:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic