This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New bearings on the 66 cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New bearings on the 66 cylinder
    Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:34pm
They say there is no such thing as a stupid question so here goes. we are replacing the cylinder bearings on our 66 allcrop as posted earlier and the new bearing are the modern sealed type instead of the original open ball bearings. These sealed bearings never need greased. The salesperson said I could easily remove one seal off on side of the bearing if I felt the need to grease it. Would this compromise a modern bearing? Should we just leave it alone?? Lord knows the allcrop has a lot of places to grease anyway!! Thanks for comments. Ryan
Sponsored Links

norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:43pm
   grease never wore anythig out in book---never replaced any on our combine
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:54pm
Won't hurt to do that but since this machine is likely to see limited use,it will probably be okay.There are many original sealed brgs still running on my 3900hr 78 F2....if you know what I mean.
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:59pm
if you want to grease it later, get a needle greaser and just stick it in under the seal.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

if you want to grease it later, get a needle greaser and just stick it in under the seal.
2nd. ^^

That's weird you can't get a greasable bearing anymore. Guess that's what parts combines are for!

Edited by CrestonM - 26 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Ryan Renko Ryan Renko wrote:

Lord knows the allcrop has a lot of places to grease anyway!!

I thought the 60/66s had a lot, until I looked in the Super 100 book! There's 127 lube points on that, and I think 78-ish on a 60A.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
A common practice of bearing suppliers to only stock the sealed bearing.Not hard to remove a seal but impossible to add a factory type seal if needed,less inventory and you still get a bearing today. If your old bearing is not sealed remove the seal and grease just as they did in the old days.

I have disc with sealed bearings,feel them for heat at the end of the day. If hot drill the seal with the smallest drill you have,us a needle point fitting on grease gun fill with grease.Fill whole with silicon gasket goo,good to go in the morning. The first bearing I did this to is close to 10 years ago and still going. 
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:19am
     Pop the seal off and see how much grease is in it. Some new bearings have
very little grease. Pump some grease in it if its low.

John Carlson
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 8:30am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Renko Ryan Renko wrote:

Lord knows the allcrop has a lot of places to grease anyway!!

I thought the 60/66s had a lot, until I looked in the Super 100 book! There's 127 lube points on that, and I think 78-ish on a 60A.
 Yes and this is why I now own a battery powered grease gun. I always jokingly say that an all crop take all day to grease.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 8:43am
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

Yes and this is why I now own a battery powered grease gun. I always jokingly say that an all crop take all day to grease.

That's not far off.
Usually it takes me about an hour to grease two 60As and oil the chains. Then another hour to put canvases on. Takes 5 minutes to take them off though! Lol
I've thought a battery grease gun would be nice, but I'd be afraid the battery would die while I was under the combine, so I keep using the good ol' pistol grip. I always make sure to grease everything I can until the tube runs out, then I put a new tube in and grease the stuff underneath so I know I won't run out under there! It's kind of a tight place to fit, and I don't want to have to crawl in and out of there any more than I have to! 

Edited by CrestonM - 27 Oct 2016 at 8:46am
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:38pm
An 18" hose is a minimum to get to some.   Those between the bin and separator housing work better with the 30/36" hose.   Mike

Edited by Skyhighballoon(MO) - 27 Oct 2016 at 2:38pm
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:59pm
My hose is only about 12" long. I'm able to get everything, but like you said, those between the separator and bin are tricky. A longer hose would be better! 

Of course, as slender as I am, I can fit into a lot of tight places to reach zerks, so a long hose isn't 100% necessary lol
I think I will get a longer one though. Sure would make greasing easier!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic