This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"New" 8070 arrived

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "New" 8070 arrived
    Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
My "new" 1985 8070 seriel# 3286 was delivered today. She's a little rough but with some TLC and a bunch of elbow grease she'll be like new. It shows 3312 hours on the tach and everything seems to work, it starts and runs good, it shifts nice and the front end is tight. I bought it from AC Mcartney in Durand IL, I'm the third owner.

I've ordered new 16.9 R26 fronts and 20.8 R38s and will move the rears over to duals. I got a grill frame and screen at cost when I bought it and a cab kit is on the way. This weekend I will make a list of all the bits and pieces that I'll want to replace and what needs fixed. Going to start by changing all the fluids and cleaning and getting ready to paint. 

The only disapointment so far is it was sold as a Duetz, so the back window doesn't have Allis Chalmers etched in the glass, you can see the "Allis Chalmers" on the side of the hoods was put over the Duetz name and the KHD emblem is on the grill. At least it wasn't painted green.
Sponsored Links

JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 5:56pm
Good looking tractor Dave. The new tires will make it stand out even more. What will you use it for mostly? Will it be your largest tractor? Will look forward to some photos after you get started.
AMB(wcIL) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB(wcIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 5:57pm
Looks great I bet you can't wait to stir some dust with her.  Thanks agian for the pie weights Dad and I got from you back in January.  Andy
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 6:08pm
She'll be the primary tillage tractor and the 8050 will pull the planter and the 7060 will get a loader on it and the 200 and 500 loader will get sold. At least that's the game plan. Plan B would be to put a quick tach loader on the 8050 and both older tractors could go.

But somehow plans involving tractors leaving don't always happen around here. LOL

The guys that help me were out after their day jobs looking her over and taking her for a spin! 
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:05pm
I like the KHD on the front. It shows the world it is a 1985 last of her kind. As for the 200, keep it or you'll be singing the George Strait song "I'd Like To Have That One Back". Don't ask me how I know. OK, mine had factory cab and ac. 
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:54pm
Not a bad looking machine at all.  I would hold onto that 200 also, you may not use it much, but it will still be nice to have around.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:04pm
Good looking tractor, Dave. I've got an 8070 that I need to get up and running, but money's a little tight for all that she needs. Hopefully something will happen on it soon, though, I'm anxious to put er to work. Darrel
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 9:08pm
The allis logo was on the back window, even on the ones that had Deutz stickers on the hood.  It just means the back window has been replaced at some time.  

The KHD grill emblem is just a box stuck over the A-C emblem with glue.  Look from the backside of the grille and you will still see the triangle underneath...

I'd be careful using under-sized tires on the front.  Backlash will harm the drivetrain.  The front tires are supposed to "lead" the back tires.
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Russ-neia Russ-neia wrote:

The allis logo was on the back window, even on the ones that had Deutz stickers on the hood.  It just means the back window has been replaced at some time.  

The KHD grill emblem is just a box stuck over the A-C emblem with glue.  Look from the backside of the grille and you will still see the triangle underneath...

I'd be careful using under-sized tires on the front.  Backlash will harm the drivetrain.  The front tires are supposed to "lead" the back tires.

I've been researching front tire sizes. The owners manual calls for 14.9 x 28 fronts with 20.8 x 38 rears, the AGCO parts book only shows 12 x 28 rims. And even though there were some people that speculated that 18.4 x 26 tires might have been offered from the factory I couldn't find any proof. 16.9 x 26 have the same circumference as 14.9 x 28 which is why I decided on them.
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 9:48am
Your 8070fwa looks like a beast!  I would love to drive an 8000 series sometime.  I have sat in their roomy cabs and drueled.  Until then, my 7060 will suffice.  Thanks for sharing the photos.  I can't wait to see it after you get it worked over with tires & paint.  The fwa tractors look like they run uphill all the time - low in the rear.  According to what others are saying, this should always be the case to keep drivetrain happy- right??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic