This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some water well advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some water well advice
    Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:14pm
I am  going to open up my last occupancy for my Grandson to rent.  The well is a 4 inch submerged pump 60 foot deep.  It has been shut down for a little over 3 years.  Should I do anything before turning the pump on.   I remember hearing something about pouring bleach down a well to disinfecting it.  I would appreciate any info and thanks.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 5:44pm
Call the well company where you live, ask their recommends as the water chemistry will determine if can just start it back up. May have to treat the water sitting in the hole too.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:56pm
Around here I would pour about two cups of bleach and let it sit for a day and then pump it down by letting it run. Then let it fill back up and take a water sample and get it tested to make sure no bacteria in the well.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 8:32pm
I think the test you want is fecal coliform test...
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 12:51am
Find a sampling kit. Then I'd let a hydrant run for at least a day, then collect a sample and send in for testing. My well is sealed, it'd be quite a project to open the top to put bleach in.
I've bought well test kits at local farm supply stores or the Extension Service Office. In Iowa you mail the sample to I S U labs in Ames, IA. Can't remember cost but it wasn't much.
 I tested my new well when it was dug in spring 2010, only use it was not OK'd for was to mix formula for newborn infants. Retested it the next spring and tested the same.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:54am
weiner, as one Michigander to another, your health department should have the test kits and info where to send it and such.  I think you want to do this right. 
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 7:01am
Call a well guy and ask him the proper procedure. And for sure have the water tested. Pretty cheap to do. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:45am
Google Bleaching, or chlorinating a well.  Get a sample kit from the county and have it tested.  I'm not sure what the water will do to a pump not run in three years.  I guess when you put power to it you'll find out.  when you pump it out after chlorinated run the water out at every fixture to clean the pipes.  Not sure about the water heater!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 11:43am
My well guy dropped 4 chlorine tablets into the well and left em for an hour or so.  He then pumped for about 5 minutes.  He told me to do the same thing tomorrow and all is well....er good.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:57pm
Thanks for all the advice,  I will have it tested for sure.  Lots of time,  be a while before any body will be living there.  I was mainly wondering about the bleach thing.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:32pm
A gallon of bleech or some small chlorene pool pucks -
The bleech will get past the well seal where the pucks won't unless you pull the pump 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 9:01pm
Cadillac Michigan.

I didn't make it to town but I drove ...ah rode my motorcycle by there headed to West branch coming from the UP. Them Allis guys kicked me outa Hutch for raisin to much heil so I had the time an roade around lake Michigan before heading back to Omaha area. Be careful hanging around ole Ted. He's a tough ole bird.

But yer in luck cause I'm a well guy. (don'rt say that to loud, cause I got enough werk to do)

Do what coke says an use just liquid bleach from the super market. You want to use the stuff you can smell cause you want to be able to tell yer getting that bleach to every crack and crevis. cause if you leave any part of it unbleached, an there's bacteria there? It will grow back. Remember, you can't over do it. To much bleach is a lot better than not enough. And you got to be able to smell it out of every outlet. Hot and cold water. Toilets, hydrants, you name it.

Then 24 hours is the kill time. After that, just flush it out can call your local health dept cause arpound here they test it for free.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 12:34am
YOU WAS OUT RIDING AROUND ON YOUR CROTCH ROCKET???? all this time we all thoughts you was down sickly! PfffffT!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:58am
You guys out ridding around Michigan. I'm only a mile off I-69 exit 66. Stop by.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:52am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

YOU WAS OUT RIDING AROUND ON YOUR CROTCH ROCKET???? all this time we all thoughts you was down sickly! PfffffT!
Pretty sure he's talking about that ride from 2 years ago....where he was supposed to stop and see me, but he went off grid!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 1:14pm
Les,  thanks for the added information.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic