This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need some help with Allis / Buda forklift please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenchin883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some help with Allis / Buda forklift please
    Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:34am
first I want to say hello to everyone , I am a new member and this is my first post , so thank you in advance for any help or information

I bought a Allis Chalmers forklift yesterday for a whopping $200 then spent another $200 to have my friends dad pull it out of the garage and haul it to my house on his rollback. I bought it knowing it was not running and has been sitting for 7 years. It is a older lift tuck when AC first bought Buda. It is a model FB 20 24 , serial number 12626057. I know its a gasoline 4 cylinder engine and a 2000 pound lift capacity. I am trying to find a manual or any other information like the year , its weight , and anything else.

After looking it over and doing everything you should do to a machine that sat for 7 years I got it running the same day I bought it. I must say it runs perfect , I mean idles great and drives great and doesn't even smoke. I do need to replace the battery and one hydraulic hose for the mast tilt and also need to look into the brakes.

My brake problem is : The reservoir was empty , I filled it up and then open the bleeders and actually got fluid out , however I can not get a solid pedal and the fluid does not shoot out the bleeders when you press the pedal down. This to me means the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt or replaced , and more than likely my wheel cylinders is where the fluid leaked out, I am gonna pull the wheels and check everything there and clean everything , but does anyone know where I can get a master cylinder from or parts for it ? 

My other question is the battery : I do know I need to replace it because it will not hold a charge after me charging it then load testing it with my automotive equipment. I know its a 6 volt set up, but coming from an automotive background I don't know anything about forklift electrical systems , does the battery go in with the positive terminal to the forklift chassis ?? I ask because that it how it was in there when I got it. To me I would assume it would go in like a vehicle and positive would go towards the starter and the negative would go to the chassis. I did reverse it and put it in like a car battery and it did run perfect but I only ran it for like 10 minutes then shut it down to check everything, I don't want to run it until I get a new battery and find out the proper way to install it.

thank you again for taking the time to read this and for any information

Brian
Sponsored Links

norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:44pm
  most all equipment is positive grd. up to 1960  with  6 volt batteries   this is an old one but will lft more than a new of equal cap.  1-574-342-4545 for more info.  not a computer guru  will be 83 this week end
wrenchin883 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenchin883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 10:38pm
thanks for the info , I was also wondering on if i can have pneumatic tires put on it instead of the hard tires it currently has  ? 
Carl Ohio View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 8:16pm
Don't think they will fit unless it has a pneumatic style rim on it now as the solid tire frame is different than the pneumatic one, To tell for sure does your lift have a solid tire with a metal band inside that is pressed on the wheel and the wheel bolts on OR can you remove the wheel with nuts on studs and leave the brake drum on as this is the pneumatic type

Good Luck
Carl
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 12:50pm
I have a 3000# machine similar to that, they built them pretty much the same for quite a while, take the master cylinder to a CarQuest store and they should be able to match it. I've bought several master cylinders for industrial equipment, including my Allis lift truck that way.
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 8:30pm
Most use the same master cylinder as a Willys Jeep.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenchin883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 8:33pm
thanks for the info ... i just ordered one and it was $42 including shipping 
443johnson83 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 443johnson83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 8:16pm
I have a 1965 allis forklift mdl#FPL40-24-2ps mine is NOT a positive ground system. after looking at my 3 other AC tractors from that age which are positive to ground I decided thats what it was since it didnt have batteries. I was WRONG! I melted every single wire in about 2 seconds...since then I replaced wiring and works perfect. I also need to look at my brakes, I am having the same issue. The master cylinder was empty and full of rust and has no pedal. How do I know what willys jeep master cylinder to buy? Did you figure out where to buy wheel cylinders? Im pretty sure I need them too.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrenchin883 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 4:03pm
here is what i bought : http://www.discountforkliftparts.com/products/4713374

cost total of $42.89 including shipping
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic