This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help trouble shooting ONAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help trouble shooting ONAN
    Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:58pm
I'm getting any fire even though there is juice to the ignition box.  When turning the motor over I do not see the rocker moving in the ignition box.  Where should I start?
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:07pm
Sounds like you may need a new ignition pin that opens the points. The are made of carbon fiber I believe and they do wear. That’s one of the reasons the points have to adjusted in addition to the wear of the points itself. I replaced mine as well as the guide.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 12:55pm
So, as I asked on another thread about these points, Does anyone know of a good electronic conversion? Even good quality points and condensors have been hard to get. Is that pushrod a readily available part? Cummins sure jacked all the prices of these parts years ago!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
ShaunE View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShaunE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by coggonobrien coggonobrien wrote:

I'm getting any fire even though there is juice to the ignition box.  When turning the motor over I do not see the rocker moving in the ignition box.  Where should I start?

David,
If your points plunger has worn to the point it won't open the points any longer then you can take an old Buss Fuse & break the glass out of it & place the metal end over the points plunger to hopefully give you enough length to reset the point gap. I know it sounds crazy but I read this on the smoke stack forum, tried it & it worked. You will still need to eventually purchase a new points plunger or convert to Electronic Ignition.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:31pm
Ed the Onan parts are crazy pricey for sure. When I went through mine 7 years ago I could not find an electronic ignition. There was a post on here about a year ago that a member said they installed one. I should have searched before I responded to see if I could find it. I would like to rebuild one of my Onan’s but finding a .10 over kit has eluded me. They sure are proud of their parts for sure. Hopefully someone will post the electronic ignition again.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:36pm
Jacks small engines and SLI have the Onan parts if you haven’t already checked. Imagine Steve also, he may also know of a electronic ignition.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 11:00pm
i heard that some one at sandy lake was working on an eletronic ignition conversion kit for the cckb and ccka  
Brad in WA View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:27am
Check with Sandy Lake on the electronic ignition, pretty sure they have them.
coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:14am
Sandy lake does have the conversion but the price is ridiculous. I thought it was 500 or 600. Whatever it was I was high enough that I would rather do a motor swap if it came to it.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 1:11pm
WOW! My luck, I'd spend 500 bucks on electronic conversion, then chuck a rod the next time I used it lmao! Looks like I can just keep replacing points a bunch of times for that much! ouch!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 4:14pm
Having trouble shooting at an ONAN? 😼 Maybe you need a bigger target 🎯 after what experience I’ve had with ONANs, I lump them in with Tecumsehs and 2 cycle dogtriots👎👎👎
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:33am
does anybody have a part # for the points plunger?
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:58pm
seeing this reminded me that I have a parts book in my 720 binder. Looks like it's 160-0262, looks like it is several parts.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:16pm
any one have  the

Standard Blue Streak

part number for the points and
condenser
 i may have some NOS
    thank       B:-)       Dnoym

Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:44pm
HI Coggonobrien, 
   What Model of Onan Engine do you have it would be something like CCK,CCKA , CCKB, 
B43G,P218G  The last to are John Deere models 

Rod in MN
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 8:00am
ccka
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic