This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help 16b growing oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help 16b growing oil
    Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:26am
Went to use my 16b this morning and the oil was way over full and the rad which is always full was low. Thinking liner orings.three years ago had the oil cooler fixed because I was getting oil in rad,don't think this is the problem now. Plan on taking the pan off and press Izes system. Anyone have any better ideas. Don't really have time to mess with,I farm for a living and other equipment is more important than dozer right now.feel free to give me a call at 2529162927
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 8:31am
Before you crank it at all and before you drop the pans, take the drain plug loose and see if coolant comes out first. Don't take the plug full out just to last of threads and wiggle it as water will flow where oil won't. No water or coolant and then check for fuel in oil, dab dipstick to a piece of dry cardboard, it spreads rapidly it is fuel.
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:01am
Thanks dmiller,it took all day to move it to the shop,take the blade off,take belly pan plus engine covers off,power wash it,and finally drive it on boards to the back corner of the shop. I did however crack the drain plug and sure enough it was antifreeze. Plan on taking pan off Monday morning. Anyone know where I can get a good engine kit from other than minnpar,I priced them and got scared.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 7:33am
Illini is a vendor with ads here, have been a few others mention some companies on other posts.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 12:16pm
If only one liner is pitted, you might get by with doing one hole... just hope it isn't #6, I think you have to remove the oscillating beam to access that cylinder for an in frame rebuild.  (Never done one, but that is what I've been told)  Another source is Endurance Power Products for engine parts.  Could also be liner O-rings, but liner pitting is quite common on 855 Cummins for sure, especially if coolant is not changed regularly.  Some guys here used to drain the coolant on their engines in the off season to prevent water in the oil, too, as they tended to leak past the O-rings in the winter.
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 8:16pm
Got the pan off this afternoon, number 3 and 6 were leaking, 3 being much worse.plan on taking heads off tomorrow, seems to be lots of room to work,hope I can get all the sleeves out.took some pics but don't know how to post on here.

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 9:04am
Ok, I thought it strange that there wouldn't be enough room, but an old guy told me he had bought a 16B where they had only done 5 cylinders because they couldn't get to the back cylinder, weird huh?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic