This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice-How to plumb my dump trailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice-How to plumb my dump trailer
    Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 2:52pm
I bought a 15' pony dump trailer (the kind you see being pulled by dump trucks). I plan on using it to transport dirt on the farm as well as being my grain buggy.Any suggestions on how I make the hyd dump function (been told by the old owner the dump truck that pulled it puts out about 35 gpm). Ideally I'd like to hook up so I can both dump it as well as get the air brakes working (need some kind of hyd motor to run a small compressor I guess). Has a really long tongue so I could mount a small engine  with hyd pump and motor (to run the small air compressor). Or do I get a pto pump that hangs off the pto (the tractor would be my AC 220 (1000rpm pto) or my  1974 JD 7520 (Any JD fans, please note how I kinda put the two in the same power category). Or do I try to run the dump from the tractor hydraulic outlets? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 6:42pm
Most hyd pumps on dump trucks I believe are around 17 to 20 GPM so unless you have a large pump that volume is going to take some HP from a gas engine. Cylinder is single action (ram) type (telescopic os sicsors ?) so you will need a large resivore , kind of leaves tractor hyd out of question as you would drain cases on tractor.
 Air brakes will be another problem as you need 100 to 125 PSI. Abuout 60 to 80 PSI to release spring brakes. Then somehow the actuator for brakes presents another problem.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:40pm
I pull one with a 7030 and use the tractor hydraulics. Have to over fill the hydraulics by 4 or 5 gal. to lift it all the way up.
 Don't cut the tongue off. You need all the length to turn it when it is loaded.
 Been hauling gravel with it today. 10 ton per trip. Pulles it OK but need alot of room to stop it.    MACK
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 5:45am
Dale: The guys in West England do a LOT of trailer hauling with the big  Fendt tractors. (They don't use trucks) I seen big trailers like your talking about all the time full of potatoes and such. They can brake alright as I seen one slide his trailer tires till they smoked. You may get some good info by doing a search over there for this.
Life is short...Make haste to be kind
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:34am
if you build it with it's own engine/hydraulics/air compressor ..
1) easy hookup to whichever tractor pull it,even a pickup(empty of course )..
2) you won't have to overfill a tractor reservoir...
3) others could 'borrow' it,or move it for you...
4) have better resell value in the future,if you sell it...
5) easier to maintain,everything's on the tongue...

just some thoughts.
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 12:40pm
down fall of engine on tounge is more weight on the trailer is less pay load to haul on the road. also more tounge weight on hitch of tractor. and less swing (turn) room on corners.
DLS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:46pm
Check local truck parts store and see if they have a compressor for an old Detroit engine that was belt driven. Mount it and the hyd pump on tongue and run PTO shaft. A trailer control value plumbed into cab will control brakes. 
Rayhowling View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayhowling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 9:28pm
Dale, We have four dumper trailers. One is a 7X10 foot with a 4"X30" cylinder for hauling wood and light loads. The other three are made from old dump trucks. One has a PTO shaft from tractor to the hydraulic dump mounted on the tongue. The one trailer we built a 18 foot grain box that holds 18 Tonne corn. The old truck pump was worn out last fall and we hooked the 4 stage front hoist to the tractor. It takes almost 20 gallons of oil the push out the hoist all the way up to the top. The JD 7810 has about 25 gallons oil capacity which is okay because the tractor is not moving when unloading.
The other trailer has a 14 foot aluminum gravel box and 4 stage hoist. We bought a 38 GPM pump from Princess Auto and run it off of a small orbit motor that is run off of the tractor hydraulics. It works well hooked up that way. What part of Ontario are from.
Dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:01pm
Hi Ray: I'm near Orangeville. The orbit motor and hydraulic pump idea I would like to explore with you more. It sounds like it might be an easy solution. A couple of questions-can you run the dump from the cab? Second, how fast will it go up? and third, could you hook up a air compressor from the orbit motor to run the air brakes. Thanks for the info. Dale
Rayhowling View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayhowling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 10:44pm
Dale: I'm Just west of Kitchener near New Dundee. The Dump trailer had the pump that was on the truck and we mounted the pump to the side of the frame and put a orbit motor connected  with a universal joint. The old pump worn out and we bought a Prince pump from Princess Auto in Kitchener. With the orbit motor connected to the Prince pump it will lift 20 Tonne gravel up same speed as most pump trucks will lift. I have to get out of the cab to pull the lever that releases the oil to go back into the oil holding tank mounted on the side of frame. The tractor hydraulics run the orbit motor and I put the lever in up position and run it from the cab. Orbit motors can be bought in the $200.00 range with 12-15 GPM flow. You could run a compressor off of a orbit motor. In Europe the bigger tractors have air compressor built on them to run air to brakes on trailers, wagons. If you are down Kitchener area stop by and I will show you how we built these trailers. We use orbit motors on our unloading augers on our grain bins, been using them for 20 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic