This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Honey ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Freedguy. The guy must be a fairly new beekeeper. We been doing this over 25 years. Put a large pot of water on your stove, bring it to almost boiling, shut off the heat, set your bottle of honey it, leave it for a few minutes, take it out, shake it up, you have a pretty large jar, you may have to do it several times to get it to liquify. Do not store it in the fridge, if you do it will christalise quicker. Most folks put their honey on the table or store it in a cabinet above the stove. Buy your honey from a local beekeeper. A lot of the honey in the stores originates in China. They are still using chemicals in China that were banned in the US clear back in the 1960's. The bottles are filled here in the Us, but a lot of the stuff has been dried to powder, put on a ship from China and when it gets here water or corn syrup is added to it. It will need to be warmer than 65°. You can warm it up to 105° without destroying the good properties of the honey.

"They are still using chemicals in China that were banned in the US clear back in the 1960's."

Yes but they banned taktic and I've heard of people boot legging it back from south of the border.Wink  I believe it's legal again under a new name and higher price, of course when you ban the safest miticide ever made for more dangerous ones that don't work and colony collapse hits, then they will bring back the old safe stuff. LOL

I was so green when I started with bees when I heard taktic, I thought they wanted me to go get the saddle out of the shed and check hives on horse back.  Boy I'm sure glad I didn't need to do that me and horses have a rough history. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 27 Feb 2021 at 10:04pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Sponsored Links

GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
Do beekeepers rent sites to put their hives if they don't have land or want to grow the business?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:30am
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

Do beekeepers rent sites to put their hives if they don't have land or want to grow the business?

When we had the farm, we had a local beekeeper that set hives every year. He was very good at putting them out of the our way. It was a win-win. We got pollinators and he got honey.

When he picked them up in the fall, he always brought us some honey.

The only incident we ever had was when I got a little too close to the hives with the discbine and bumped them. I had about hundreds of angry bees in the cab of the 7000 in seconds!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:40am
Have a few Apiaries around our state, the people that run them arrange for spots to set hives as a benefit to the farms while the beekeeper makes money making honey.  Three neighbors have hive sets on their places and beekeepers that attend them.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:22am
Got a neighbor in the county south of use that had a full section under irrigation planted to alfalfa, my partner was a class mate of his in school.  The section had a abandoned feedlot on it so a nice rock road to set hives on and when we asked him if he would mind he seemed ok with it but a day later called and said he just didn't want any bees on his ground.  So I called the neighbor across the road and of course he didn't mind.  So 50 hives were about 100 ft from the other guys alfalfa.  We called him back and told hem where they were but we couldn't control which direction they flew. Wink  There is around 7 quarters of alfalfa both dry and irrigated there within 2 miles at all different stages and something was always blooming.  About 1/2 way into summer as the sweet clover dried up we eventually had something like 150 hives in that location, some of them were literally setting on the side of a dead end county road.  No buddy could complain about the county right of way and the maintainer just graded the road up to them.  I remember the night about 2am as I back unto that road with a 25ft gooseneck moving in hives and I accidentally hit a hive and knocked it off the pallet.  We were running deep supers for honey supers as we needed built comb for splits after extraction so a full deep super of honey can weigh close to 90#.  Anyways the hive was 7 supers high, honey and bees top to bottom and they were pissed.  There was a young guy helping us that night and he was liking the bees till then, he had a full suit and still was getting them inside it.  Only time I ever had them come after me at night on the skidloader.  If I remember right the hive was Russian bees and they aren't quite as gentle as Italians.  When we got back into the pickup the young guy said "boy that took the fun out of bees" LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 28 Feb 2021 at 7:25am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:11am
Neighbors of mine are one of the larger beekeeping operations in my area.  Sandra Thiessen  has come up with some very innovative ways of using honey.  They sell there products world wide.  Yes, I get my honey from them!
Here is a link to their site"

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:32pm
Phil, do they strictly do honey or do they take them south for pollination and/or maybe a easier winter as well?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
No I meant pure, the bees have nowhere else to go for pollen other than the island itself. I believe it's advertised as purest in the world and costs accordingly.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
Kansas99, I don't think they take them south.  Most beekeepers in this area leave enough honey in the hives to overwinter them.  They usually set up groups of hives in sheltered locations where they get the winter sun, then wrap each hive in insulation and then wrap them in black plastic and most seem to overwinter OK.  I think they would have to go a long, long way south to have any benefit! 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:30pm
One of the local beekeepers in our area takes his hives (or at least some of them) to North Carolina in the winter.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:21pm
If your honey has crystalized it was extracted too early. The bees have it timed perfect. When moisture content is correct it will not harden. If you want to soften it up, put it inside your car on the dash. A good sunny day and it will be liquid again. It will still harden up again eventually, still has too much moisture in it. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:01am
Honey moisture causes honey to ferment and sugar content and types of sugar cause honey to crystallize.  If the honey is too wet that stinksWink if it's crystallized it's too sweet.Wink

Not trying to start a argument here but bee's will cap honey when it's 17-18% moisture or less depending on where the hive is at and the humidity,  honey that is too wet will ferment. The types and amount of sugar in honey will make it crystalize, some faster then others but all raw honey will crystalize.  The temperature it's stored at is the biggest factor.   Uncapped honey may or may not need dried before it is bottled or extracted, if it is capped it will be dry or the bees wouldn't cap it.  Honey must be over 20% moisture to ferment and if you have uncapped honey that your going to extract it's best to use a refracter to check the moisture content so you don't ruin all your honey when it ferments.

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:46am
Does anyone do "comb honey" any more? My Dad loved comb  honey and, for years, I had never heard of extracted honey. 
I haven't had comb honey for years !
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Honey moisture causes honey to ferment and sugar content and types of sugar cause honey to crystallize.  If the honey is too wet that stinksWink if it's crystallized it's too sweet.Wink

Not trying to start a argument here but bee's will cap honey when it's 17-18% moisture or less depending on where the hive is at and the humidity,  honey that is too wet will ferment. The types and amount of sugar in honey will make it crystalize, some faster then others but all raw honey will crystalize.  The temperature it's stored at is the biggest factor.   Uncapped honey may or may not need dried before it is bottled or extracted, if it is capped it will be dry or the bees wouldn't cap it.  Honey must be over 20% moisture to ferment and if you have uncapped honey that your going to extract it's best to use a refracter to check the moisture content so you don't ruin all your honey when it ferments.

X 2,    exactley correct
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:31am
Warm it gently. I have a band heater on a small amount in a 5 gallon bucket right now. I need to get it into some jars. If you have ever had golderod honey then you know it can crystallize in just days after it is extracted. Just the nature of that fall honey. It might have some aster in there too. We get a lot of goldenrod here in north west Pennsylvania. Hope our 5 hives have done ok through the winter.
 If you get a chance try honey made in Greece, from the plant thyme. Like no other honey I had ever tasted!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Mar 2021 at 11:32am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic