This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Honey ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Honey ??
    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:20pm
A co worker gave me 3/4 of a gallon of PURE honey today. It is pretty solidified in the glass jar that I (and he told me) that it just needed to be brought up to "room temp" to liquify. It's been at 65*+ since 8 AM and is still in a solid state CryCry. He told me to NEVER micro or hot water the honey as it will be a detriment to the longevity of the honey ConfusedConfused. This guy has 4 hives on his property and has "spent" (??) lots of $$ for hives/colonies so I can't believe he's not on the up&up with knowledge, yet I'm still sitting on a rock Embarrassed. Thanks

Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:27pm
I get jars of 'hard honey', toss in nuke for 30 seconds let rest say 2-3 minutes , nuke again
never ever had a problem with 'longevity' as it gets used up PDQ !!
If you're not going to use all that honey fast, pour into smaller jars. it getting hard is OK...
can't go bad...
gotta wonder what 'UNnatural' honey is ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:32pm
Thanks for the reply Jay !! Is the "honey" in the packets at KFC natural? I have no idea if it is or isn't Confused .
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:36pm
haven't KFCed in 33 years....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 7:54pm
Natural honey or raw honey is honey that has not been heated, and/or is not cut with corn syrup or something else.  It's pure honey that has been taking out of hives,  I believe the state of MI classifies it as not being above 115F degrees(don't quote me but thats close)  The reason for not over heating it is that you will kill all the good pollen and natural antibiotics that are in honey.  If you over heat it or nuke it doesn't matter you just loose some of the beneficials.  Some people that have allergies use honey raised locally (within 50 miles) for aid with allergies, any good doctor worth his salt will tell you raw local honey helps allergies as much as any drugs.  The reason why a lot of honey is heated(pasteurized) is that it kills a enzyme that causes it to crystallize easily.  If I was to wager a bet KFC honey isn't raw.  Raw honey demands a higher price and if you go to store it's always right on the label that its raw.

If your honey is crystallized and you want to liquefy it and keep the good in it just make sure not to heat it above 110degrees takes longer to liquefy but will still be considered raw.

As far as shelf life of honey, well the Egyptians put it in King Tuts tomb and when it was taken out they sampled it and it was safe to consume, so unless you think you might keep it for say 10,000 years it should be good to go. Wink

I believe the Egyptians were the first to produce domestic honey and a close second was the bear.

Edited by Kansas99 - 26 Feb 2021 at 7:59pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:00pm
Thanks Kansas, this is exactly the product I was given; basically straight out of the hive WinkWink !! In fact, the guy told me I "might" want to run it through cheese cloth ?? Thanks for the info !
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
Here ya go,  always check the use by date on honey.Wink

"The ancient Egyptians kept domestic bees and sealed pots of honey were found in the graves of Pharaohs such as Tutankhamun. The honey was still edible. So ’Use By Dates’ on honey could say 5000 AD, since the honey in Tutankhamun’s tomb was 3000 years old!"
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thanks Kansas, this is exactly the product I was given; basically straight out of the hive WinkWink !! In fact, the guy told me I "might" want to run it through cheese cloth ?? Thanks for the info !

Yep that's raw honey, probably only ran through a sump/sieve so there might be little specs of wax or a loose leg or something.  I never worried to much about it thru a sieve or coarse screen was good enough for me.  If you ever get honey that is 100% made off of sweet clover the dang stuff will make your teeth hurt it's so sweet and looks clear as water dripping off your finger.  I tell you what's the bomb is honey on the comb thats been in the fridge is beyond good.  Just bite you off a piece of comb and roll it around in your mouth munching on it till you spit out a nice white piece of wax.  Damn now I'm wishing I had some honey in the house. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 26 Feb 2021 at 8:18pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:21pm
Yes, this particular glass jar is pretty "clear" looking and quite sweet tasting dipped off of a putty knife WinkWink
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
It's the plant's nectar that determines color and taste.  Sweet clover then probably alfalfa give the best honey.  Guy up in KC that has hives has some weed(can't remeber name) that produces brown honey that he claims tastes like a mixture of coffee and dirty underwear, and he always saved it to feed back to the bees for winter, never in his honey for sale, but some lady found out he had it and now every year she shows up and buys a 5 gallon bucket of it for the same price he gets for his sweet honey.Confused  He says she just loves it and makes some food with it.  Some honey is just flat nasty to me but someone else might love it.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
Golden Rod ??
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
I like orange blossom honey, too. favorite is clover
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:46pm
The KFC stuff says Honey Sause on the little packet. Then on the ingredients corn syrup is number one. Then in finer print Product of China. Probably 10 parts corn syrup to 1 part honey with a bit of Chinese toxic waste for good measure.

The last 2 years a guy has been bring a few 100 hives for summer and fall. The honey he has given crystalizes, always just nuke it so it comes out of the plastic bottle. 

There is a summer weed here that smells like turpentine, old timer called it turpentine weed. Blooms good all summer with no rain and hot so bees do good on it. So bee keepers renamed it blue cruel. That honey stinks so it is used a winter food for the bees.  

Edited by Ray54 - 26 Feb 2021 at 8:51pm
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:56pm
DON'T put the honey in a microwave. Put it in a pan of water on your stove @ about 110, it will take a few hours to liquify.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:07pm
I didn't fair too well putting plastic honey bottle in the hot water pan with a fire underneath.....
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

I didn't fair too well putting plastic honey bottle in the hot water pan with a fire underneath.....
Ouch Confused !!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:53pm
i DO love honey/peanut butter samwiches!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:02am
If you suffer from constant heartburn, (acid reflux) take three tablespoons of honey after every meal for a couple weeks, your heartburn should go away. As it decreases, you can decrease on the amount of honey.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:08am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

that is why you don't put honey in a plastic container if it is going to set long enough to crystallize. Beekepers store honey in 5 gal. plastic buckets, but have a cabinet to gently liquify the honey in, some use a light bulb as the heat source.   
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:44am
Didn't know that Lars,  I have acid reflux and up till the hives got stolen never even tried that, still have a couple hundred gallons of honey in storage so might get some out and give it a try.  I'm allergic to PPI blockers so Pepcid is about all I can use.

Nella we had a ss 1000 gal milk tank that instead of cooling we would run hot water through the lines and as it would liquefy it would run out into 5 gallon buckets.  Beekeepers also use hot rooms, where they just keep the room temperature at 110, can store honey in them and also bring in supers for extracting that way things flow better in the extractor.  Barkman down in Hillsboro uses what your talking about for 5 gallon buckets, as they bring them in they just set them upside down in the cabinets before they final strain the honey and bottle it.  Guessing a lot of people in the midwest that bought raw honey have gotten Barkman honey even if the label said something else.  They even id and track honey they buy, sample it for miticides, etc.  I think on there website you can track a bottle of their honey that you bought.

Here's the biggest Beekeeper in the country:  https://www.adeehoneyfarms.com

We we're never interested too much in honey, although you're going to have it or your not going to have living bees.Wink  We were more interested in pollination,  there isn't enough beehives in NA for the almonds in CA, so they pay a pretty penny if they want almonds(takes 2 hives per acre so a pallet of 4 hives does 2 acreas or a sami load of bees does 200 acres).  Worked pretty good right up till the hives didn't make it back to KS and the guy taking care of them in CO fell of the face of the earth.Thumbs Down

Edited by Kansas99 - 27 Feb 2021 at 6:51am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:12am
     When I have crystallized honey I use a double boiler like assembly; one stainless stock pot inside another and both about filled with water then the honey jar. Not so much water that the honey container floats. Lowest heat setting. May take 2-3-4 hours depending on the size of the jar but will liquify the honey and not heat it too hot.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm
The orchard down the road has hives  They sit out by the roads.  They are dirt roads.  I suspect the honey tastes like dirt roads from hot dry weather.  If the hives were out in amongst the trees, I bet that would be some great tasting honey!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:48pm
Won't matter, bees are too clean and when they get the moisture content of the nectar down to 17-18% they stick a wax cap on the cell.  Honey is then locked up tight and clean and good to go for say 10,000 years. Thumbs Up

John,  bees are the second most organized insect colony next to the termite.  They know whats up and that hive other than the entrance will be sealed tight with propolis(sp),  some people sell it for those the want a natural antibiotic/antimicrobial.  Let me tell you its some pasty stick shi$.  It won't stop a bear though.Wink

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 3:06pm
I will say the best smelling honey I have ever smelled was when I was out in Central Valley and decided to go to Sequoia Nation Park to chop some firewood one day.Wink  Anyways the park was closed because of snow and they seemed upset when I told them I would drive in to see if it was safe for Californians to travel the roads, so I just turned around and had time to waste so going back down the valley I stopped at a fruit stand that was pay buy honor system(ya I know suprised me too) so I decided to take a picture to send home, figured nobody would believe this.  Well after a couple minutes picking through the stolen fruit the lady that ran the stand came out of her house.  We started visiting about bees and she had a couple hives, so she got me a bottle of citrus honey to take,  I wouldn't take it but it smelled like citrus strongly and had a not as strong citrus taste but you could tell where it came from for sure.

I should add in the park rangers defense it could be my fault that we started off on the wrong foot when I asked her how many Sequoia trees I could get in the trunk,  I was driving a Toyota Camry. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 27 Feb 2021 at 3:08pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

The orchard down the road has hives  They sit out by the roads.  They are dirt roads.  I suspect the honey tastes like dirt roads from hot dry weather.  If the hives were out in amongst the trees, I bet that would be some great tasting honey!
When is the last time that your honey tasted like GRAVEL WinkWink ??
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:04pm
I don't see how any location other than Pitcairn Island could imagine they have pure honey, but what do I know.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

I don't see how any location other than Pitcairn Island could imagine they have pure honey, but what do I know.

Please elaborate , I'm curiousWink
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Please elaborate , I'm curiousWink
I believe Walker meant organic honey.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
Freedguy. The guy must be a fairly new beekeeper. We been doing this over 25 years. Put a large pot of water on your stove, bring it to almost boiling, shut off the heat, set your bottle of honey it, leave it for a few minutes, take it out, shake it up, you have a pretty large jar, you may have to do it several times to get it to liquify. Do not store it in the fridge, if you do it will christalise quicker. Most folks put their honey on the table or store it in a cabinet above the stove. Buy your honey from a local beekeeper. A lot of the honey in the stores originates in China. They are still using chemicals in China that were banned in the US clear back in the 1960's. The bottles are filled here in the Us, but a lot of the stuff has been dried to powder, put on a ship from China and when it gets here water or corn syrup is added to it. It will need to be warmer than 65°. You can warm it up to 105° without destroying the good properties of the honey.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 27 Feb 2021 at 8:07pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:44pm
Yes Tom, this guy is going into his 2'nd season with 2 hives that he said cost $300/hive, everything included-even the bees !!! Thanks for the recommendation on how to "thaw" this puppy out Wink !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic